JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Magpul has come up with a new foam solution for gun cases. Looks pretty cool, very easy to use, and very versatile. You can easily reconfigure the case, as needed, without messing with the hassle of cutting foam...or needing to buy new foam if you want to change the layout. :)

That's brilliant!

That's cool. I'd probably be more likely to do something like this

This gives me an idea.

91bISuHzE4L._AC_SX569_.jpg

Oops, that one's not available. Here's one:
81M1dgnw5hL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

12 ea, 12" X 12" for $36

That and a few velcro straps and you're good.

Last Edited:
I like the idea for cases with scoped rifles.. but the price point ($130+) is not worth it.
I would argue that it depends.

Yea, if you only have one rifle that you need a case solution for, it's probably not worth it. But the second you cut foam, that case becomes dedicated to just one rifle and can't be used for any others...unless you want to buy additional foam sets...and/or cases for your other rifles...if you have them.

Where I think this excels is if you need a case solution for multiple rifles. If you have, say, five rifles that you need a case solution for...or 10...this is likely much more cost effective than having to buy multiple foam sets or additional full cases...assuming you don't need two cases at once. It simply comes down to the numbers. And YMMV.

Magpul has come up with a new foam solution for gun cases. Looks pretty cool, very easy to use, and very versatile. You can easily reconfigure the case, as needed, without messing with the hassle of cutting foam...or needing to buy new foam if you want to change the layout. :)

Interesting….

I bought it for my Pelican V800, and I really like it. Now I can have one case for every need - I just need to pop out the blocks and reconfigure. Also, I have CDO. This is like OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) BUT THE LETTERS MUST BE IN ORDER! Any time I make a mistake cutting foam I just can't un-see it, and eventually have to replace the foam. Magpul solved this problem for me, and I am grateful.

Now, there is this one irritant though. What to do with the small bits? Obviously, I'm not going to let the rifle bolt bounce around in there. I also like to keep a few cleaning supplies, too. Magpul already thought of the solution and here's where things start to add up. These DAKA pouches start at $20 and go up from there. Overall, I do think the system is a good value. Not cheap, mind you, but a good value.

Magpul also has a MIL/LEO discount that you should take advantage of if you can.

I bought it for my Pelican V800, and I really like it. Now I can have one case for every need - I just need to pop out the blocks and reconfigure. Also, I have CDO. This is like OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) BUT THE LETTERS MUST BE IN ORDER! Any time I make a mistake cutting foam I just can't un-see it, and eventually have to replace the foam. Magpul solved this problem for me, and I am grateful.

Now, there is this one irritant though. What to do with the small bits? Obviously, I'm not going to let the rifle bolt bounce around in there. I also like to keep a few cleaning supplies, too. Magpul already thought of the solution and here's where things start to add up. These DAKA pouches start at $20 and go up from there. Overall, I do think the system is a good value. Not cheap, mind you, but a good value.

Magpul also has a MIL/LEO discount that you should take advantage of if you can.
If you have the chance and inclination, would you mind sharing a few pictures of your setup? I looked at this when it first came out, but it's always nice to see how things are configured and used in the real world.

Sure, here you go:

Some explanation is due. The rifle system may look upside down to you, but this is how I refer to lay it out. That way, when the case is carried by the side handle, the weapon is not carried upside down. I also made some modifications to the grid, noted by the blue and yellow arrows.

Blue arrow - I cut 3 bridges between holes to make room for the cleaning rod handle, then notched the others so that the rod would sit flush.
Yellow arrow - I cut these bridges because the mags fit perfectly in 2 holes. I hope I don't regret that.
White arrow - not sure if this stays or not. Just playing around.

I'm still waiting on the pouches to arrive to fill and place in the case.

Overall, I'm very happy with the setup.

V800 DAKA Grid.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews