JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While cleaning out my Grand Father's foot locker from WW-2 there were 6 loaded 1911 mags that had been placed there at the end of the war and forgotten all these years, they were still as good as the day he put them in that locker! :)

While cleaning out my Grand Father's foot locker from WW-2 there were 6 loaded 1911 mags that had been placed there at the end of the war and forgotten all these years, they were still as good as the day he put them in that locker! :)

I have heard the same thing about mp40 magazines, and I have personally fired luger magazines left loaded from ww2, they worked great.

Springs wear out from use, as in repeated compression and extension, compression alone does not wear out springs. Having full boxes of ammo and empty mags is just plain silly. Load our mags and don't worry about them.

Practically indefinitely. It's the repeaded cycling of compressing-uncompressing that causes spring steel to eventually weaken and lose its "springiness".

What everyone has said is true. It could on crappy mags maybe weaken the plastic if not made correctly, but I have only read a few times and only on cheap mags that some cracking occurred.

Agreed. It is the cycling of the mags that loosens the springs. Load 'em up. Let 'em sit. They will be ready. Always keep a number stored in that condition is my humble advice. I just picked up some new XD 45 mags. Boy! Those springs are tight. Very hard to get that last round seated into the mag. I actually need mine loosened a little :rolleyes: Better get to the range more often.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top