JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Talking about use with your standard 14-16" AR15. Nobody's going to seriously peg varmints at 400 yards with either one of these loads. As far as ammo stockpile, casual practice, personal defense, or your personal Zombie Plan goes, which is preferable?
I've shot a lot of both in my military career and civilian hobby, so what do you all think?

The price difference is negligible in Bulk. They're both cheap.
The M193 exits the barrel faster and fragments at a slightly lower velocity. The M855 stays accurate to longer ranges, and punches through slightly more hardened targets. Both fragment well inside 50-100m.

So, which is better?
Maybe it's whichever one was on sale at Ammoman last week.
Maybe you're a damage hawk, and want to see fragmentation at 300 meters, but you settle for the 193 tumbling at 150.
Maybe you're a dead-eye, and you can put the first round through a quarter at 300 meters, but you'll settle for the 855 hitting a basketball.
Maybe you've got a boatload of money and all you buy is match-quality ammunition. (You better be hitting that quarter at 300 then, moneybags.)

Opinions on these two battle-proven loads?

Nothing well thought out, but I started out purchasing bulk packs of XM193 so I stuck with it for several years. Now, like John H said, I'm thinking I should pick up some M855 as well.

At the very least, I need to know what my POI shift is.

XM193 here. Multiple hits at self defense ranges ... I believe it will be effective. A bit concerned about what the 855 could do penetration wise in terms of a potential defensive shoot.

855 has better penetration at range, though. I also like the heavier weight of the bullet. With a 1:9 twist, I like 62 grains, but I'm an accuracy guy. Thanks for the responses.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews