JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at piecing together an M110 SASS / MK11 SPR clone. I've built lots of AR-15 platforms, but never an AR-10. I know that there are basically two different 'base' receivers / systems, and am wondering 1. how they differ, and 2. is there a better of the two?

I would say stay away from armalite style lower and go with "dpms" style. Such as Aero Precision. Armalite runs proprietary mags if I remember correctly. Dpms style run magpul and "standard" style mags. Much easier to find mags aswell as uppers that fit.
I'm not well versed in ar10s just my two cents. Sure others can elaborate more on differences.

Calling @3MTA3 Would you care to enlighten our friend here on the latest and greatest of the AR-10 build questions! :s0155: :)
I've investigated a but, but have done no AR10 builds. There are several AR10 platforms - here is my take

The most common by far is the DPMS pattern. You will find more support for this pattern than any others, but even here there are variations. The safest bet seems to be the Aero Precision M5 as much of it is comparable with AR-15 parts and they have been very consistent. The only gripe that some have is they don't like how the mag release button is recessed. It's also strongly recommended to use the Aero Precision lower parts kit. Any DPMS compatible upper should work with this lower.

Next up is the original Armalite pattern. It differs from the DPMS pattern bu having a more angular cut where the separation between the upper and lower where it goes upwards near the buffer extension.

Lastly, you have the short frame variants like GPMS GII that is shared by Adams and Remington, then POF, and just recently the Ruger SFAR. These are all pretty much proprietary and really not suitable for builds.

Personally, were I looking for an AR10 that didn't need to be outside the norm (like a 375 Raptor) I'd go with the Ruger. It's a bichen deal, light weight, supported by Ruger forever. Check out the MAC review

I only knew the Mag interchangeability issue was the killer, having had a Armalite AR-10 and having to deal with everything those have going on, not a deal breaker, just made changing the rifle difficult and feeding it with quality mags an issue!

I only knew the Mag interchangeability issue was the killer, having had a Armalite AR-10 and having to deal with everything those have going on, not a deal breaker, just made changing the rifle difficult and feeding it with quality mags an issue!
I forgot about the mag difference and agree that's a deal breaker.

:s0108: I spend other people's money with the best of 'em.

Check out PA and some of their other distributer, you will probably find one and maybe get lucky on a New Years sale.
They may be discontinued since Adams is the only compatible rifle still in production. Now I just have to get everyone on the forum to tell Radian to notify them when available - 10,000 requests should be enough to get a production run just soes I can have one LOL

They may be discontinued since Adams is the only compatible rifle still in production. Now I just have to get everyone on the forum to tell Radian to notify them when available - 10,000 requests should be enough to get a production run just soes I can have one LOL
Maybe It is something they do runs of, I'd drop them a line and see if they have an ETA or at least confirm it is a no go.

Last Edited:
Stag would be the closest to a M110 clone other than shelling out $5k for a KAC SR25.
It has the same profile at the rear as the SR25 and Armalite with DPMS threads, uses regular ol Pmags.

Easy pickings at that point for barrel selections with the DPMS pattern.
My SR762 has the same profile with DPMS threads, Matrix made the upper and lower and used to have assembled uppers for $99. Like a dumbazz I didn't grab one and now they have gotten out of the .308 game.
I'm looking at a Stag upper to mate up with my lower to build an 18" DI upper.

SR-25 receivers would be the most clone correct. The current Armalite AR-10A, Stag-10, and some others (LMT?) have the same angled cut as the SR-25, use SR-25 (aka DPMS) magazines, and it may even be possible for some of these uppers to fit on the other lowers (but the fit might not look nice). The Armalite AR-10B uses modified M14 mags and is the reason people always say that Armalites use proprietary mags. DPMS gen 1 receivers are more common but don't have the angled cut.

Looks like Stag is one to get the upper and lower as a set.
If it did match up to my lower I would need to ream the pivot and take down pins out 0.020" to make it work.

Everybody just has to be different with large frame AR's.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews