JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought a CMP special grade M1 because I wanted a shooter not a collector.

I believe the specials get a new barrel and stock. The stock is very basic, so I recently used tung oil on it. That turned out pretty nice. It shoots great, and given how the CMP goes over them and replaces any parts that look bad I am confident it will function for years to come.

I wish they offered a "special", but with USGI wood. I would have gladly paid extra for that. I know I can but old USGI wood, but it is getting harder to find.
Yeah the heart of the former users is in the original wood

Since most Garands have been arsenal rebuilt at least once you could purchase a CMP service grade and start down the path to replace parts as you have time and/or money to end up with a correct grade rifle. They are easy to work on and the hunt for parts can be fun if you have the patience for it.

The last Garands manufactured by Springfield were rumored to be the best built. Those are the 6 million serial numbers. An all original 6 million goes for a premium, like any original uncorrected Garand.

Since most Garands have been arsenal rebuilt at least once you could purchase a CMP service grade and start down the path to replace parts as you have time and/or money to end up with a correct grade rifle. They are easy to work on and the hunt for parts can be fun if you have the patience for it.
That's probably the path I'll take. The fun is in the chase