JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got it at the Tulalip Cabela's.

1940 dated 42 code. Matching except mag, toggle pin and extracter. It is imprt marked, probably a Russian capture.

rside.jpg waffels.jpg toggle.jpg barrel.jpg

Its brother is in my safe- 1940, 42... You have a coolio pistol there, very nice- the Mother of all 9mms.. Made by Mauser... Mine was a vet bring-back, bought it from the family (none of whom wanted it!) paid entirely too much but it has about doubled in value and Im afraid to take it outside for fear of messing it up!...

Last Edited:
Great pickup! Enjoy the hell out of it.

You should have some fun shooting it (and gather a bit of a crowd at the range). I had to get used to the trigger....it ain't a 1911 (or a P1 or Walther Q) but once you get the hang of it you can put 'em all in the black.

I got mine through Simpsons....a tad spendy but a guaranteed gun. It was all matching except for the grips....which are Swiss or Swedish or ???

Here's a pic.

DSCN1121.JPG DSCN1129.JPG DSCN1124.JPG

Not Swiss - the Swiss version of the P08 has a straight grip that I find unloveable. The Swedes had the P40 - their version of the Finnish Pistooli P35 AKA Lahti. The Swedes had a contract for Germany to supply them with the Walther P38, but the beginning of the war put the kybosh to those plans, hence the adoption of the Finnish design, which, with minor alteration in manufacture [dropping the accelerator and altering the shape of the Nock's form], became the Swedish service pistol for the next 30+ years.

Those grips look like they were made by the German company of Nillgriff, makers of many kinds of after-market grips.

tac

Last Edited:
A new coworker mentioned he had a Luger. He'd done 20 yrs in the Army and lived in Germany a while. We went to a gun show and he seemed to know almost nothing about guns. I questioned a few things that didn't make sense then asked, why do you think you have a Luger? He said it says Luger 9mm right on the side.

It turned out to be a Hipoint. I am not making that up.

A guy had one for sale at the show last weekend with a set of grips taken from an SS officer back in the day... he wanted more for the Grips than the gun itself....I had to snap a pic! 7E498580-E92D-4414-BBA6-F3B5E7BF1EA4.jpeg

Mein Gott what a piece of artwork.

Generally speaking I have an aversion to "collecting" Nazi stuff. I have a gun or two with some Nazi proofs....but I wouldn't pay a dime extra for that loathsome symbol. (I do recognize the historic value of those artifacts and appreciate those who chronicle that period of history, however.)

But that gun sort of transcends the symbol and is simply is craftmanship. I wouldn't own it....but would appreciate seeing it in a museum.

Mein Gott what a piece of artwork.

Generally speaking I have an aversion to "collecting" Nazi stuff. I have a gun or two with some Nazi proofs....but I wouldn't pay a dime extra for that loathsome symbol. (I do recognize the historic value of those artifacts and appreciate those who chronicle that period of history, however.)

But that gun sort of transcends the symbol and is simply is craftmanship. I wouldn't own it....but would appreciate seeing it in a museum.
My thoughts exactly...
The story of it being "liberated" from a defeated SS officer, and brought back as a momento is what makes it special.. that and it is exquisite craftsmanship.. believe me the picture does not do it justice.

That one would have to go under the microscope before any large monies changed hands.
Seems like an SS officer would want the thunderbolts somewhere in the design ?
The swastika and eagle are a 3D applique which I didn't notice at first.
Yes, the two sets of tools is odd.

You would have to see it in person... pic does it no justice.
They are brass over ebony, and the swastica is a 3D badge.
to be clear the Luger, is not from the same place as the grips... the were only recently joined. From what the guy said, the grips were found in a cabinet in an officers office, and came here in a duffle sans pistol. He acquired them and he put them on himself. In fact he sold them on a different gun many moons ago, and recently reacquired them(again sans pistol)from what one of the old time vendors that knows the owner well told me, he is a serious collector with an impressive collection, and has several Lugers...
As far as the case, It looks like something commissioned by an instrument maker.. like a retrofitted flute case. That's how they did things during wartime. A lot nicer than a modern plastic, or cardboard box.. and why not two tools? Two is one, one is none;).

I just picked up a 1917 P08. THis is one of my "bucket list" guns from the very beginning. It is not an all matching collector piece, I do not have the budget for that. However, the upper is all matching, but the lower frame from a different pistol. It looks like it should be a good shooter and be fun at the range. Before that happens, I had to order a couple of parts (missing spring, and replace the poor quality homemade grips). The order has been placed through Sarco, but they have a notoriously slow turn around time on orders. I have no patience when it comes to getting the parts i need to repair a project.

Anyone here have any local source for parts? I found another part on the P08 I should replace as well (or at least have a spare for). I'm looking for an ejector. The one in the pistol has been poorly repaired, and I am not confident that it will last very long. Anyone know of a local source before I go through the agonizingly slow Sarco route again.

I'll post more details and pictures on this one when I get it 100% serviceable again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top