JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Save some money, push your budget up a few hundred and you'll get a much better overall optic.

I see folks talk about features, few discuss glass. I look at glass first, then features. A few hundred more you'll clearly see the better quality of the glass...pun intended. You'll also get a reticle that's useful at anytime of the day or night. I find a lot of low end scopes lack when the sun is bright, or low light...quality glass helps.
Thank you
Good advice
I get it
Kind of reached that conclusion last night
I should of listed glass quality in the list

I was hoping to get input on what's out there besides primary arms and vortex that would meet or exceed their standards

I've done a LOT of research on this subject. From the hundreds of hours I've spent reading through various forums and from personal experience, the only LPVO worth your time for under $600 is the Burris RT6 (around $300, made in Phillippines and great glass). The Strike Eagle is overpriced with awful glass, horrible turrets, and many reported issues especially on .308 (I owned one... hot garbage, sorry). For around $600 the Vortex Viper PST 1-6 is great, I have one. However, sales on the Steiner P4Xi 1-4 often approach ~$650 making it a much better deal than the Vortex. It has Schott glass (think Kahles, Swarovski, etc) and is incredibly clear. For around $1000 you get into a very tricky spot... spend a few hundred more and you can get the awesome Vortex Razor 1-6 gen2. Spend just a bit more and you can have a Nightforce NX8 which is superb and FFP (but small eye box). However, at that price I'd just grab a new Elcan Specter. I'd say get the following, priced from lowest to most: RT6 > P4Xi > Razor 1-6 gen2 > Specter > Razor 1-10 gen3.

There are dozens of options at the >$600 price point. Many are so similar it doesn't matter what you choose. The Trijicon Credo is good but its reticle is dim. The Eotech Vudu is good but it also suffers from a very dim reticle. The Primary Arms scopes for under $400 are good but their build quality is so-so and the glass is quite distorted and the optic is heavy (I've owned two). If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Hey thanks!
The direction your talking is sweet.
Buy once, cry once
I'll follow yours and others recomendations and buy better
The $500 range was something to start from up or down depending on what's out there
You've and others, have given me valuable on-site
better units are where I need to go
Just so darn many I get lost in all the reviews

The Strike Eagle is overpriced with awful glass, horrible turrets, and many reported issues especially on .308 (I owned one... hot garbage, sorry)
This is interesting, they have a no questions asked warranty. This is 100% opposite of my experience. Sounds like you had a production issue that would have been fixed for free. Zero issues with a strike eagle. It's not the best of the best (it was 350 bucks) but it's far from hot garbage. Turrets track perfect in a box test, holds zero, and the glass is in fact great for a 400 dollar scope.
Another note, OP said under 500 bucks. Some people (myself included) just don't have the means to justify 600+ on any sight system. It really depends on your personal use for the optic. Swat and military guys, yea..buy the hotness to save lives! Regular dude at the range punching paper once a month...Save a lil money for your ammo.

Hey thanks!
The direction your talking is sweet.
Buy once, cry once
I'll follow yours and others recomendations and buy better
The $500 range was something to start from up or down depending on what's out there
You've and others, have given me valuable on-site
better units are where I need to go
Just so darn many I get lost in all the reviews
Yep it's overwhelming. For $500 or so I'd get the Viper if its heftiness isn't a concern. Vortex has an amazing warranty too. For around $800 I'd say go with the Delta Stryker... Japanese glass and great reviews. Or buy my Elcan I'm selling here, ha!

This is interesting, they have a no questions asked warranty. This is 100% opposite of my experience. Sounds like you had a production issue that would have been fixed for free. Zero issues with a strike eagle. It's not the best of the best (it was 350 bucks) but it's far from hot garbage. Turrets track perfect in a box test, holds zero, and the glass is in fact great for a 400 dollar scope.
Another note, OP said under 500 bucks. Some people (myself included) just don't have the means to justify 600+ on any sight system. It really depends on your personal use for the optic. Swat and military guys, yea..buy the hotness to save lives! Regular dude at the range punching paper once a month...Save a lil money for your ammo.
I'm sensitive to distorted glass and can't handle reticles that are barely daylight visible. If the Strike Eagle was around $200 it would be fine. However, the Burris RT6 is the same price as the SE and MUCH nicer with an equally impressive warranty. And I don't need expensive glass to shoot steel, but man is it nice to treat yourself! I'm a huge Vortex fan, I have several of their optics (the UH1 is an Eotech slayer), but they're not always the best choice compared to similarly priced competition.

I'm sensitive to distorted glass and can't handle reticles that are barely daylight visible. If the Strike Eagle was around $200 it would be fine. However, the Burris RT6 is the same price as the SE and MUCH nicer with an equally impressive warranty. And I don't need expensive glass to shoot steel, but man is it nice to treat yourself! I'm a huge Vortex fan, I have several of their optics (the UH1 is an Eotech slayer), but they're not always the best choice compared to similarly priced competition.
I'm confused on how the reticle is not daytime visible. It's black, like every other reticle and has 11 illumination settings. Honestly my complaint (if any) is the reticle is too visible and covers X rings at anything beyond 75 yards. I have never had any distortion. Maybe around the very edge of the view, but I mean the very edge. I appreciate your input and opinions. How does the glass effect you personally? To me it seems perfectly clear. Not the very edge though. My friend uses a pst (viper?) Although it is better in just about every way, when he and I look through both scopes. We both agreed the edge is better 100%, but the center is the same. What's your experience?

I'm confused on how the reticle is not daytime visible. It's black, like every other reticle and has 11 illumination settings. Honestly my complaint (if any) is the reticle is too visible and covers X rings at anything beyond 75 yards. I have never had any distortion. Maybe around the very edge of the view, but I mean the very edge. I appreciate your input and opinions. How does the glass effect you personally? To me it seems perfectly clear. Not the very edge though. My friend uses a pst (viper?) Although it is better in just about every way, when he and I look through both scopes. We both agreed the edge is better 100%, but the center is the same. What's your experience?
Edge to edge clarity is important to me as I have convergence insufficiency of the vision. If something I'm looking through (windshield, scope, etc) has distortion, it pulls my focus away from my target view and my eyes cannot readjust very well or quickly. As far as reticle brightness, I had a Gen 1 Strike Eagle. I hear the Gen 2 has a brighter reticle, mine was dim on setting 11. If you can get your hands on an RT6 I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by how much "cleaner" the glass is. It's not daylight bright but its horseshoe reticle is nice. The only thing I dislike about all Vortex scopes is their reticle options. Primary Arms ACSS, ACOG horseshoe, Steyr Death Donut, and Elcan BDC are my favorites.

I've a Scout bolt rifle in 308 that I'm trying to find the best optic solution for myself
Though designed for a forward of receiver optic I'm going for traditional over the receiver mounting due to certain visual limitations I have
lpvo should give me the ability to shoot close both eyes open or farther out as needed
I do have ar platforms but I've got a holsun with acss reticle and fts magnifier for one of them
Irons for the rest so far
Now knowing the firearm in the equation. I'd say leupold, hands down. Save on weight and get better glass. Reticle options shouldn't be a priority with a rifle like that unless you really want them.

Like most, I'll agree with but once cry once. VX3, Mark 3 or better.

Also, don't overlook options like a 2-7. 2 power will still allow close range shooting, while a larger objective will give you a larger field of view over most lvpos.

Now knowing the firearm in the equation. I'd say leupold, hands down. Save on weight and get better glass. Reticle options shouldn't be a priority with a rifle like that unless you really want them.

Also, don't overlook options like a 2-7. 2 power will still allow close range shooting, while a larger objective will give you a larger field of view over most lvpos.
Hey thanks man

Thank you
Good advice
I get it
Kind of reached that conclusion last night
I should of listed glass quality in the list

I was hoping to get input on what's out there besides primary arms and vortex that would meet or exceed their standards
One of the most overlooked companies for LPVO is Trijicon.

I run the Credo HX 1-6. It acts just like a red dot up close as the 1x setting doesn't distort at close range...and the glass is very good.

+1 on this! For a scout rifle, I think a Leupold 2-7 is the perfect choice. Leupold scopes tend to be significantly lighter than any others in the same class. 2 power allows for quick close range target acquisition with both eyes open, while 7 power is more than adequate for precise shots (especially when using quality glass)!

Something like this comes to mind:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023057879?pid=673923

I just went through a process of selecting an LPVO. Looked through a lot of them before making my decision. I guess it depends on what features are important to you. For me it was eye box, eye relief, and 1x. I settled on the Vortex Razor. However, I have to say I was really impressed by the Vortex Strike eagle, especially as compared to more expensive scopes. The PST II was nice also

The Credo 1-6 and 1-8 were my runners up to first place

I just went through a process of selecting an LPVO. Looked through a lot of them before making my decision. I guess it depends on what features are important to you. For me it was eye box, eye relief, and 1x. I settled on the Vortex Razor. However, I have to say I was really impressed by the Vortex Strike eagle, especially as compared to more expensive scopes. The PST II was nice also

The Credo 1-6 and 1-8 were my runners up to first place
Ild love the Razor!
But not sure my wallet will😝
So far it seems the best one out there
I'll check out credo
Thanks

Ild love the Razor!
But not sure my wallet will😝
So far it seems the best one out there
I'll check out credo
Thanks
I've had very good experiences with everything from Primary Arms. Their SLX 1-6 and 1-8 are supposed to be fantastic other than not having Aimpoint bright illumination. If you are trying to stay under $500, I'd say it's a toss up between Strike Eagle and PA. The benefit of Trijicon or nicer vortex is going to be not being Chicom made, clarity at longer distances, and brightness of illumination

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews