JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, I'm looking for a mid level Low Power Variable Optic. Been thinking $500 or under
1-6x24 or 1-8x24
Prefer light weight,
Good warranty,
thinking First focal plane
But those are usually a bit more spendy,
Visible reticle in sunlight,

I keep getting lost going down the rabbit holes looking at different makes and models.
Kind of drawn to vortex or primary arms but there are a whole lot of others out there, and I would appreciate your insite
thanks much my friends
Happy trails

I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 on one of my rifles. Zero complaints. Primary arms uses the ACSS retical. Vortex uses a BDC that although not stated for obvious reasons can be used in about the exact same fashion.
Vortex has a better warranty and better glass. That's my .02.

+1 on the Primary Arms ACSS LPVO. The bdc is pretty spot on in both 7.62x39 as well as 5.56 in my experience.
They make one for 7.62 x 39 / .300 blk out and a different one for .223 / .308, but I'm sure your right, there is some overlap, I just would make sure to get the one primarily designed for the round on purpose.

I have been an early adopter of primary arms optics and I tend to advocate for them regularly.

Their LVPOs are not perfect. Mostly they lose points in the weight category. If you fork out the cash for their higher end models you get amazing glass and their reticle. Yet their high end ones are still just as heavy. They are tanks though, likely very durable at the weight and materials used. Their reticles are genius. Not only are they well thought out, they actually work really well.

Vortex makes a fine LVPO, they get points for lighter weights. They get slightly better points for clearer glass too. They lose points to PA only for the reticle options. PA has some of the best reticle systems available at the price range they sell for.

Not in your list but Leupold should not be overlooked. They are probably one of the lightest options for LVPOs. Their glass will be the best even in this price range. Their reticles lack at this price range, and don't get better until you are into the $1000s.

Not to derail, but I will a actually recommend against a LVPO for an AR. you didn't mention what gun this is for so I apologize for the assumption. I don't think they work as well as a red dot or an actual scope in a regular zoom variable. I'd say stick with a red dot and learn holds, or go with a fixed power prism. I tried LVPOs on multiple ARs. It's just not a great fit in my opinion. I never changed the zoom usually, just left it at 1 or 2 power most of the time. Without further investing in a quick throw lever, adjusting them just was a PITA. Not to mention they are big, so if it is big, why not just get a 3-9 or a 4-12, that way you will actually get to use it at distances more efficiently.

Here is a great option. Better at 100 than a plain red dot. Better at 200 than a red dot and magnifier. Not a huge and heavy optic on your AR, it's designed to be put there. Reticle works. https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-glx-2x-prism-scope-with-acss-cqb-m5-5-56-reticle

I'd recommend the SIG Tango6T 1-6 FFP. The reticle lines are a little thick and it's hefty considering I don't get much more bang compared to the ACOG that I have, but I do thoroughly enjoy running around with it on my BCM. I've thrown rounds out to 900-yards with it.

I have been an early adopter of primary arms optics and I tend to advocate for them regularly.

Their LVPOs are not perfect. Mostly they lose points in the weight category. If you fork out the cash for their higher end models you get amazing glass and their reticle. Yet their high end ones are still just as heavy. They are tanks though, likely very durable at the weight and materials used. Their reticles are genius. Not only are they well thought out, they actually work really well.

Vortex makes a fine LVPO, they get points for lighter weights. They get slightly better points for clearer glass too. They lose points to PA only for the reticle options. PA has some of the best reticle systems available at the price range they sell for.

Not in your list but Leupold should not be overlooked. They are probably one of the lightest options for LVPOs. Their glass will be the best even in this price range. Their reticles lack at this price range, and don't get better until you are into the $1000s.

Not to derail, but I will a actually recommend against a LVPO for an AR. you didn't mention what gun this is for so I apologize for the assumption. I don't think they work as well as a red dot or an actual scope in a regular zoom variable. I'd say stick with a red dot and learn holds, or go with a fixed power prism. I tried LVPOs on multiple ARs. It's just not a great fit in my opinion. I never changed the zoom usually, just left it at 1 or 2 power most of the time. Without further investing in a quick throw lever, adjusting them just was a PITA. Not to mention they are big, so if it is big, why not just get a 3-9 or a 4-12, that way you will actually get to use it at distances more efficiently.

Here is a great option. Better at 100 than a plain red dot. Better at 200 than a red dot and magnifier. Not a huge and heavy optic on your AR, it's designed to be put there. Reticle works. https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-glx-2x-prism-scope-with-acss-cqb-m5-5-56-reticle

I've a Scout bolt rifle in 308 that I'm trying to find the best optic solution for myself
Though designed for a forward of receiver optic I'm going for traditional over the receiver mounting due to certain visual limitations I have
lpvo should give me the ability to shoot close both eyes open or farther out as needed
I do have ar platforms but I've got a holsun with acss reticle and fts magnifier for one of them
Irons for the rest so far

TBH though, if $500 was my budget I'm not sure I'd mess with a LPVO and would just get a Trijicon MRO. I had a lower end LPVO and it turned me off the concept, then I got behind some real ones.
Thanks man
I value your input
The money thing is a range
I'm finding that sales and used also open up possibilities for higher end at a cheaper price
Ild love a Razor 3 gen
But …..

Save some money, push your budget up a few hundred and you'll get a much better overall optic.

I see folks talk about features, few discuss glass. I look at glass first, then features. A few hundred more you'll clearly see the better quality of the glass...pun intended. You'll also get a reticle that's useful at anytime of the day or night. I find a lot of low end scopes lack when the sun is bright, or low light...quality glass helps.

Thanks man
I value your input
The money thing is a range
I'm finding that sales and used also open up possibilities for higher end at a cheaper price
Ild love a Razor 3 gen
But …..
I'd love to have Schmidt Bender 1-8x24 Short Dot Dual CC

But... :s0092:

Save some money, push your budget up a few hundred and you'll get a much better overall optic.

I see folks talk about features, few discuss glass. I look at glass first, then features. A few hundred more you'll clearly see the better quality of the glass...pun intended. You'll also get a reticle that's useful at anytime of the day or night. I find a lot of low end scopes lack when the sun is bright, or low light...quality glass helps.
^^^This 100% and where I was going with my comment above. IMO you're better off getting a high quality RDS then low quality LPVO. My advice is wait and stuff the piggy bank a little longer.

I've done a LOT of research on this subject. From the hundreds of hours I've spent reading through various forums and from personal experience, the only LPVO worth your time for under $600 is the Burris RT6 (around $300, made in Phillippines and great glass). The Strike Eagle is overpriced with awful glass, horrible turrets, and many reported issues especially on .308 (I owned one... hot garbage, sorry). For around $600 the Vortex Viper PST 1-6 is great, I have one. However, sales on the Steiner P4Xi 1-4 often approach ~$650 making it a much better deal than the Vortex. It has Schott glass (think Kahles, Swarovski, etc) and is incredibly clear. For around $1000 you get into a very tricky spot... spend a few hundred more and you can get the awesome Vortex Razor 1-6 gen2. Spend just a bit more and you can have a Nightforce NX8 which is superb and FFP (but small eye box). However, at that price I'd just grab a new Elcan Specter. I'd say get the following, priced from lowest to most: RT6 > P4Xi > Razor 1-6 gen2 > Specter > Razor 1-10 gen3.

There are dozens of options at the >$600 price point. Many are so similar it doesn't matter what you choose. The Trijicon Credo is good but its reticle is dim. The Eotech Vudu is good but it also suffers from a very dim reticle. The Primary Arms scopes for under $400 are good but their build quality is so-so and the glass is quite distorted and the optic is heavy (I've owned two). If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top