JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, a load that works a compensator is a totally different ballgame than standard 9mm loads. One wants a maximum amount of gas to keep the muzzle down...so slow powders are the rule of the day for 9mm major.

The absolute softest load I've shot through my 9mms, was 4.0gr N320 behind a Berry's 124gr PRNHB-TP. Mine were seated to 0.135 COAL. CFE-P at 5.0gr is my favorite for that powder, And you might like 5.6gr of Unique for 115gr RMR PRN.

The absolute softest load I've shot through my 9mms, was 4.0gr N320 behind a Berry's 124gr PRNHB-TP. Mine were seated to 0.135 COAL. CFE-P at 5.0gr is my favorite for that powder, And you might like 5.6gr of Unique for 115gr RMR PRN.
Good info thanks.:) 5.6 grains of Unique in 9 mm?:confused: I have put 5 grains of Unique in a 9 mm and
it was FULL.:eek: I do like CFE pistol. Real clean burning. I have been using it for 45 and 9 mm.
I am experimenting with 124 gr polymer coated Missouri Bullets. So far 5.2 CFE pistol seems to
work well but still in experimental stage.
smallball_gl.jpg

ron: disconcerting, I know. Filling a case with 5.6gr Unique leaves little apparent room for the bullet, but Sierra's 5th edition and Speer 14th both show that charge will not be compressed(?). Serra shows the 115 gr FMJ with Unique at 4.9 starting and 6.6 at max, with a tested minimum OAL of 1.100(!?). Speer comes in at 5.6 min and 6.3 max at a min tested oal of 1.135. My cases average .744" and the RMR 115gr FMJ at .565. So I'm shoving that bulky unique down a little tighter it seems with a seating depth of .174". 110% load density? Likely even a little bit more. Unique is unique.:)

PS I kissed the trigger finger and thumb of my strong hand when I fired that first round but they're still there. Turned out to be a pretty good recipe. Dang engineers. Some of them don't waste their tuition money :D

Last Edited:
ron: disconcerting, I know. Filling a case with 5.6gr Unique leaves little apparent room for the bullet, but Sierra's 5th edition and Speer 14th both show that charge will not be compressed(?). Serra shows the 115 gr FMJ with Unique at 4.9 starting and 6.6 at max, with a tested minimum OAL of 1.100(!?). Speer comes in at 5.6 min and 6.3 max at a min tested oal of 1.135. My cases average .744" and the RMR 115gr FMJ at .565. So I'm shoving that bulky unique down a little tighter it seems with a seating depth of .174". 110% load density? Likely even a little bit more. Unique is unique.:)

PS I kissed the trigger finger and thumb of my strong hand when I fired that first round but they're still there. Turned out to be a pretty good recipe. Dang engineers. Some of them don't waste their tuition money :D
Your a better man then I brother.:D

I know, just trying to elicit a friendly bit of ribbing. I've splintered so many wooden dowel tips I started shopping for a carbon fiber rod!

Portland Copper and Brass sell brass dowels of the
correct size.:cool: I knew a cowboy action shooter that his 38 special
loads had at least one squib every trip to the range.:eek:

I know, just trying to elicit a friendly bit of ribbing. I've splintered so many wooden dowel tips I started shopping for a carbon fiber rod!
Gotcha. Hard to see the smartassery from across a keyboard sometimes. Don't ask me how I know that so well. :D

I'm thinking you might be looking at compressed loads at 9.0? Seems like an awful lot of powder for that little case?

Is it common practice for people to say "Hell with maximum! I'm going 30% over recommended max"?
Mike, major-9 loads (those that are able to make over 165 power factor) very often exceed published maximums. One way folks who do this is by increasing OAL by quite a bit (1.15-1.17), which leaves more case space. It is common, though, that one does NOT want to reuse cases that have been used for 9-major loads.

What's wrong with factory ammo? I have a Micro 9 and shoot anything & everything 92, 115, 124, 147, 124+P and Hornady 135+P. I haven't noticed any issues with recoil. Or any malfunctions with any of the ammo; a great little 9mm.

What's wrong with factory ammo? I have a Micro 9 and shoot anything & everything 92, 115, 124, 147, 124+P and Hornady 135+P. I haven't noticed any issues with recoil. Or any malfunctions with any of the ammo; a great little 9mm.
I think the op already addressed the issue earlier on in the thread.

Look at the picture of the OP's scar on his thumb.

We're discussing break in of the carry pistol, as well as range practice on said carry pistol.

There is a distinct difference in recoil between a full sized pistol and the micro carry pistols, using the same factory ammo.

Plus OP reloads anyways, so going for as comfortable and functional as possible in this thread.

Quite interesting, and well worth the read for those who reload, or are considering such.

He must be doing something wrong. I've never had a squib. (knock-knock-knock)
The cowboy action guys load such a weak load it is power factor -0.0 :D
They stuff some sort of a filler material in the case to keep the powder
charge near the primer end of the case!:eek: Loads are so weak it
is ridiculous. I am not or ever will be a cowboy action shooter no offence to
others that enjoy the sport. The dressing up like a cowboy part is not for me.o_O
LD-CK2.jpg
gs.bluemoon45.jpg

The cowboy action guys load such a weak load it is power factor -0.0 :D
They stuff some sort of a filler material in the case to keep the powder
charge near the primer end of the case!:eek: Loads are so weak it
is ridiculous. I am not or ever will be a cowboy action shooter no offence to
others that enjoy the sport. The dressing up like a cowboy part is not for me.o_O
View attachment 432927
View attachment 432928
Ok, that last picture was a bit....
Scary... :D

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class