JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ya'll have a simple recipe for low power 9mm?

115, 124 or 147 gr?

Picked up a Kimber Micro 9 today and would like to not eat the web off my thumb before it has a chance to callous up. My normal loads I have for the XD9 Mod.2 are perfect for the heavier gun but brutal in this smaller one.

Looking for suggestions on some commonly available powders and more specifically the bullet weight mixed with the powder type. I hope and plan to use CFE-Pistol but am not opposed to picking up a pound or so of another powder that meters well and is fluffy for practice rounds. While I know I can't eliminate recoil (duh), just looking for a suggestion and any personal starting locations.

Thank you in advance.

-Dyjital

FullSizeRender-1.jpeg Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 6.20.40 PM.png

i have a subsonic 124gr load i shoot out of my P07 and suppressor. i believe its 3.8-4gr bullseye. would have to look at my notes to be sure!

its about 1030fps out of a 4" barrel

Last Edited:
I use 4.2 gr titegroup and 115 RN plated pills and they cycle everything of mine in 9mm. You should be able to dial that back a bit and cycle the little micro slide ok.

Net is full of loading data and one of the best is right here

Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading

Of course it is.

Let's see, 15 powder options times 3 weights.... 45 possible combinations right there... then say I have .2 gr of powder per charge... 5 variances per grain of powder.

45x5=225... then let's say there is an average of 3gr of spread from min to max load on powder with each bullet weight... 225x3... now we are at 775 possible combinations.

Not sure about you but I have other things to do than spend $450~ on powder to try a dab from each container. There is also a thing called felt recoil, some powders that burn fast as you MUST know will have more felt recoil from the snap meanwhile the slower powders have a softer push; but I'm sure you knew that already. Since I have a really nasty scar from almost cutting my thumb off.. recoil can hurt a lot on that scar tissue. I'm attaching an image for you. Yeah it goes 1/2 way around my thumb.

IMG_4826.jpg

So I asked to help narrow down my quest. Wise men ask questions and listen.

I also ask questions because sometime down the road there will be another person coming along who may have the same question. I prefer to CREATE content on a forum, I've asked many stupid questions on this forum to get information out there for the next guy. I try really hard not to be a wiseass and just spout off one liners. Heck, I even enjoy having people over and I've made some good friends from this board too!

Wiseass comments aside it is a valid question because I like starting points.

Try a 115gr fmj in front of 3.7 GR of bullseye and see what happens.

i have a subsonic 124gr load i shoot out of my P07 and suppressor. i believe its 3.8-4gr bullseye. would have to look at my notes to be sure!

its about 1030fps out of a 4" barrel

I use 4.2 gr titegroup and 115 RN plated pills and they cycle everything of mine in 9mm. You should be able to dial that back a bit and cycle the little micro slide ok.

Thank you guys, I'll see about working through some bullseye first and then hit up some TG if that doesn't show effective. The CFE works great but man the snap is strong.

I haven't chrono'ed them but I'm hoping they are just under 1100. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and do some speed testing. Will let you know if I do.

Like the others said bullseye works well with light loads, as does titegroup. When I tried light loads with cfe I got really bad velocity spreads. Reduce the starting load until it won't cycle.

Like the others said bullseye works well with light loads, as does titegroup. When I tried light loads with cfe I got really bad velocity spreads. Reduce the starting load until it won't cycle.
Perfect!

Yep. Go back up once it has problems with positive ejection. Also know when it's cold out the load may need to be a it hotter. Or in other words, create the load when it's cold, and it'll work when it's hot too. Not exactly the way to work up a hot load for a rifle though :D

literally ive only ever used bullseye for 45acp, 40s&w, 9mm and 38spl.

never used another powder for them

i could load 4.5gr bullseye for every one of those calibers LOL

Loads I use in my Ruger SR9c (3.4" barrel)

115gr Xtreme
3.6gr Clays -or-
3.7gr Red Dot

Both chrono at 1088fps roughly
Clays is much cleaner than Red Dot but Titegroup meters better than both and is cheaper at my stores than 231.

If you prefer heavier boolits my Lasercast book is showing an "action" load of

147gr 3.6gr of Universal for 886fps

I haven't tried that one tho.

(my arthritic thumbs seem to prefer 115gr)

BTW Lasercast and xtreme have been about the same for me.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews