JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Heavier bullets can be softer shooting. For my competition load I go with a 125gr plated bullet on top of 3.7 grains of TiteGroup. I get about 130 power factor, which means a little more than 1000 ft/s. Very soft.

The only downside is this only fills the case to about half. Maybe a powder with a larger throw would be safer. I've never double-charged, though.

I have learned/experienced that iddy-bitty carry guns, both revolvers and autos, are not fun range guns and have given up on loading for them.
I tried loading down for a Kahr PM9 and after 50 +/- rounds at the range I'd had enough with that gun, just not fun to shoot.
I bought a CW9 to remedy that problem, a gun I can hold on to.

That said, I've had good luck loading 9mm with HP38/W231.
:D

That's completely true about small carry guns and why so many folks "train" with their Glock 19 and carry the small gun. But that's not always the best plan. We should all at least regularly put a box through our itty bitty's.

That's too bad you had that experience, @Tilos, with the PM9. I found mine to be very shootable with less recoil than you'd expect out of that size gun. But then I got rid of it, so who am I to say anything about it? I've got a Shield in that role of small single-stack.

I run HS6 in all my 9mm and .40. It's a slower burner and fills the cases pretty good. You generally have a wider spread of weights to work with than the faster powders. Measures like a dream too. I use a Uniflow and single stage. Bullseye and Unique, being flake powders, can be a PIA in some dispensers. In any case, I don't like loading anything faster that 231/HP38 in those little cases anyway.

Too bad you're not close to me, I'd pour some HS6 in something and let you try it.

I run HS6 in all my 9mm and .40. It's a slower burner and fills the cases pretty good. You generally have a wider spread of weights to work with than the faster powders. Measures like a dream too. I use a Uniflow and single stage. Bullseye and Unique, being flake powders, can be a PIA in some dispensers. In any case, I don't like loading anything faster that 231/HP38 in those little cases anyway.

Too bad you're not close to me, I'd pour some HS6 in something and let you try it.

What wt bullet and how much HS-6.
What's the OAL on the 9mm

I haven't chrono'ed them but I'm hoping they are just under 1100. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and do some speed testing. Will let you know if I do.

So I made it out to the range today and chrono'ed a couple test loads. I'm trying to get them to run in all my 9mm stuff but still be subsonic and accurate. I only had 2 loads as they are just downloaded versions of my standard load of 4.4 gr of titegroup with 115 gr plated RN with OAL of 1.13". First was 4.2 gr and second was 4.0 gr of titegroup. Both functioned and were accurate at 15 yards. The 4.2 average was ~1070 and the 4.0 was ~1010. My RP9 didn't always lock back on an empty mag but the CZ75 and PT92 did. These have threaded barrels and the RP9 does/will not. They all cycled in my AR-9 as well but velocity was above 1300 in the 16" barrel. It was a good day :D

What wt bullet and how much HS-6.
What's the OAL on the 9mm

I use two books and the Hogdon site. Speer 14 and Lyman 49th. I've loaded Montana Gold since I started in 2011. The Montana Gold seem to have a longer bearing surface than other bullets, that tends to get into the lands on some guns (Plunk test) at recommended OALs so I've been forced to adjust OAL accordingly. I just started at minimum recommended and some I load even lower due to the OAL. I'm down to 1.075 for a Witness elite Limited.

I've only used 115 and 124 grain bullets. I never really noticed difference in accuracy when I was beginning, so I just stay low on the powder. Maybe if I was some great shot, and shot competition, I'd see some difference? 6.2-6.6 gr covers the different loads and OALs I use. As usual, a person should start low and work up.

So I made it out to the range today and chrono'ed a couple test loads. I'm trying to get them to run in all my 9mm stuff but still be subsonic and accurate. I only had 2 loads as they are just downloaded versions of my standard load of 4.4 gr of titegroup with 115 gr plated RN with OAL of 1.13". First was 4.2 gr and second was 4.0 gr of titegroup. Both functioned and were accurate at 15 yards. The 4.2 average was ~1070 and the 4.0 was ~1010. My RP9 didn't always lock back on an empty mag but the CZ75 and PT92 did. These have threaded barrels and the RP9 does/will not. They all cycled in my AR-9 as well but velocity was above 1300 in the 16" barrel. It was a good day :D

I was told by a person at the range that HS6 would be a good powder for the longer barrel of my CZ75 because of the slower burn rate. I tried it and will probably use it as long as I load for 9mm and .40.

I was told by a person at the range that HS6 would be a good powder for the longer barrel of my CZ75 because of the slower burn rate. I tried it and will probably use it as long as I load for 9mm and .40.
I'm sure it is, I've just never used it. I was turned on to titegroup when I started loading a couple years ago and haven't looked back. I'm a cheap bubblegum and if I can get another 100 rounds out of a pound of powder with same/similar performance, I'll do it. Titegroup does all that I have asked of it from 9mm to 45 and everything in between, and is generally a bit cheaper per pound. If my needs were to change, I'm sure that HS6 would be on a short list of things to try.

BTW, today was the first time I took out my new CZ75 Omega, and it was awesome. It's my first CZ am I'm becoming a big CZ fan.

That's completely true about small carry guns and why so many folks "train" with their Glock 19 and carry the small gun. But that's not always the best plan. We should all at least regularly put a box through our itty bitty's.

That's too bad you had that experience, @Tilos, with the PM9. I found mine to be very shootable with less recoil than you'd expect out of that size gun. But then I got rid of it, so who am I to say anything about it? I've got a Shield in that role of small single-stack.
No bad experience with the PM9, just the usual poor shoot-ability of a small gun, I still have/shoot/carry it.
I did develop a load for it, not for soft shooting though, more for point of aim/point of impact.
I did the same for the CW9 and use it in the back-up gun class at matches.
:D

I too use HS-6 it's a great powder with a good range of load data meters spot on, I use it for 40 sw my G23 and my Shield , the shield is a shorter barrel no issues at all and I aslo use it in my 9mm VP9 again works great in all 3 guns , its accurate and mild recoil to me
One thing I do use cci 550 primers with HS-6 and even at the starting loads it runs clean
I have had really good luck at the starting loads and plated bullets, and very accurate JHP loads loaded a bit hotter. :)

Good powder....
Gonna load 9.6 / 9.4 / 9.2 / 9.0 / 8.8 / 8.6
8.4 / 8.2 tonight.
For 115 gr JHP and chrono when it gets sunny.

I'm thinking you might be looking at compressed loads at 9.0? Seems like an awful lot of powder for that little case?

Is it common practice for people to say "Hell with maximum! I'm going 30% over recommended max"?

Forgot it was a low power thread.
LOL

But gonna hit a 173 power factor for my Major 9mm open gun.

Just shows how useful HS-6 is. 20180208_160037.jpg

Heavier bullets can be softer shooting. For my competition load I go with a 125gr plated bullet on top of 3.7 grains of TiteGroup. I get about 130 power factor, which means a little more than 1000 ft/s. Very soft.

The only downside is this only fills the case to about half. Maybe a powder with a larger throw would be safer. I've never double-charged, though.
Sounds like a good IDPA load? :rolleyes: Would you please share more info on bullet manufacture
and type. :confused::confused::confused:

Forgot it was a low power thread.
LOL

But gonna hit a 173 power factor for my Major 9mm open gun.

Just shows how useful HS-6 is.View attachment 432679

This is why I like the idea of a slower burn rate compared to Titegroup. I tend to think it should help lessen possible pressure spikes. And that load ranges are greater than faster powders. I still think you may be looking at compressed loads though?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads