Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Lose Something?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Kid@Heart, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Kid@Heart

Kid@Heart Vancouver, USA Cynic Lifetime Supporter Diamond Supporter

2. Blaylocke

Blaylocke Lewis County Active Member

I just checked, I still have mine.

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Idjiots. You used to be able to pick up those demilled practice grenades at any surplus store for $5 each (probably still can). And if they unscrewed it they'd see the fuses aren't intact.

dummy.jpg

That presents the same danger as any metal object. The most severe being dropping it on your toe or throwing it at someone.

dummy.jpg

4. Blaylocke

Blaylocke Lewis County Active Member

I have one of them. Blue cap, unscrew, hollowed out.

5. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

What if it was donated intentionally? They could put that on the shelf and easily get $5-10 for it. They should be slapped for pretending that this is in any way news. Would they turn away a former military vehicle that was donated? What's the difference between taking the explosives off of the vehicle or grenade?

Oh, right. That would distract from the portrayal of firearm or military collectors as totally bat-bubblegum crazy. I forgot.

6. The Courier

The Courier Newberg, Oregon Well-Known Member

I like that the officer mentioned that people need to be more aware of what they donate. As though the average household keeps pineapples next to the goodwill box in the closet.

7. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

last time I took a load of stuff to salvation army for donation they were closed so I hit goodwill - there was a stack of decent knives in a box on the desk. I asked about them and the guy said they couldn't sell them in the store and they would be otherwise disposed of. My best guess is that the staff go through the knives and take any they like home as they can't sell them or other "weapons" per policy. Apparently they haven't considered the amount of damage that can be inflicted with a golf club or bat....

8. Kid@Heart

Kid@Heart Vancouver, USA Cynic Lifetime Supporter Diamond Supporter

Tiger Woods knows.

9. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Do they moonlight as TSA agents? I hate to think of how many benchmades, striders, microtechs, etc. those losers score from travelers who don't want to deal with the hassle of sending it home (if they even offer the option anymore).

10. JSJPDX

JSJPDX East Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

You are all taking this way too lightly; this is just like a gun, it might go off by itself and kill someone!

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  11. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You would have to ask OJ about the effectiveness of the knife as a weapon.

12. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Ban all metals and this will never happen.

13. redhippie

redhippie People's republic of PDX Active Member

Long ago I worked as a contractor for PDX. Part of my job was to write up procedures for the proper disposal of hazardous materials collected at the security check points. The knifes, leathermans, brass knuckles, etc. all go onto ebay as lots. Needless to say some particularly nice items never make it (like my Puma Seargent lock back).

Now, when I was flying through Hethrow in England, they just put the knife into an envelope and forwarded it to the flight crew. They gave it back to me in Vancouver Canada upon landing and I got onto my US bound flight with no problem. Now this was pre-9/11, but the important point is the difference in how the security addresses these issues. England, helps you out where in the US they profit from it. All about the money.