JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You don't need a huge shop to build AK's! Build a decent AK and get a few out there and at a decent price and they will sell!
No need to quit your day job just yet! You can build a few AK's in the evening everyday if you apply yourself.. I know I've done it!

There are several little guys out there making decent ones already. So I wouldn't limit yourself to just AK's.
Now a guy that can build, M1 Garand, M1 carbine, FN FAL, all Ak variants, all cetme and G3 variants, etc etc and your going to be busy!

Here's your real competition (NSFW): http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/179192-DIY-Shovel-AK-photo-tsunami-warning! :D

On a more serious note, anyone can tell you why not to try something. Remember that old phrase - can't never tried. I've been involved in three failed business attempts, and I'm not afraid to fail again. Maybe I'll get it right one of these times and maybe I won't but I'm having a great time along the way. Listen to the people who are offering helpful knowledge and advice - those are you real friends. Good luck and please update us from time to time on your progress.

You don't need a huge shop to build AK's! Build a decent AK and get a few out there and at a decent price and they will sell!
No need to quit your day job just yet! You can build a few AK's in the evening everyday if you apply yourself.. I know I've done it!

There are several little guys out there making decent ones already. So I wouldn't limit yourself to just AK's.
Now a guy that can build, M1 Garand, M1 carbine, FN FAL, all Ak variants, all cetme and G3 variants, etc etc and your going to be busy!

Takes quite a few AK's sold to make enough profit to pay ITAR fees for the year.

See I look at it a little different than most. The majority here is against someone following a dream.
A few years back I had a chance to become a fulltime gunsmith. Everyone said oh when you take a life long hobby and turn it into a job you wont like doing it any longer. SO wrong! I still love building and repairing my own firearms more than ever.

I have spent over $100,000 on equipment and tooling to follow that dream...And that's not even including the house and shop. I picked a rural location so I could shoot! making it a little farther to town. Oh well we are happy here.

One thing for sure, you have to spend money to make a little money! And I have made allot of it back in 9 years! Enough to keep expanding! And enough that I could hire some help if needed

I agree most people don't support this why I really don't understand I would think most would support anyone who cares about there second amendment and wants to help them be able to carry. I appreciate the advice and positive feedback. Is that a job offer? Well definitely would to pick your brain most gun smith's have a wealth of information. I see it took you nine years to grow to were you are I figured ten my friend owns the marksman in tacoma he started in a garage 15 years ago and that's just a gun shop.

There's a fine line between a lack of support and making sure someone doesn't dive into the water without knowing how deep it is...

I would never stop someone from flowing their dream, but at the same I wouldn't want someone to spend that 100k and lose it all. Happens more than successes it seems. I'm about 50k into my shop, so I'm speaking from experience as well...

Thanks for the support everyone I by no means expect things to take off over night I do have a shop I plan on working out of fortunately for me I sit on a zoning commission so plus there as it is a multi use property. I do know for sure permits ffl and all others will be the most costly. The gun scare doesn't bother me bullets would always be the better alternative than gun building but the advancements Russia has been making with the ak and this fake propaganda about us being against Russia I really see a opportunity here to advance the ak. The ar15 has honestly received so much praise but so much hate from the media it's an area I'm not trying to get into BTW I do love both guns. I just hope what ideas for what I build for the ak may take off either as a gun manufacturer or maybe I may be bought for a parts or accessories dealer. The ak group as far as custom parts really lacks as well as thinking out side the box. There are a lot of good products but buying a rifle out of the box ready to go is more what I'm thinking. Yes the platform is solid from the word go but to compete with the ar15 market for one hard for two it's limited on what with today has for an ak. I just see with the price of ammo either 308,556,or 300 blackout it's just hard to bargain with prices. I will say the mutant rifle excellent outside the box thinking. That's the kind of ideas I have if it succeeds great if not and inspires someone to do better more great. I'm a gun enthusiast first and foremost so criticism or enthusiasm doesn't bother me. You can always tell me no but always be prepared for what may come. Thanks everyone again I appreciate all the e input if this does ever get off the ground I will be saving this thread so keep in contact I'd like to personally send you a free rifle off course legally. The feedback is great keep it coming.

Some great advice here given by folks who know what they're talking about. But I'm all for folks that want to take the plunge and start a new business. I've had a small business of my own and I can certainly confirm what others said - no matter how much you plan ahead, there will always be little things that crop up that will take your time and money.

And, if I can add something I don't see addressed here yet, regarding the post above. I work in contracting and communication is a huge part of what we do. Contracts, bid letters, correspondence with vendors, suppliers, etc. All of that communication needs to be clear, concise, and, if you hope to gain their trust and support, professional. The post above is almost a big run on sentence; at times it's hard to tell where one thought ends and the next begins. Now, I try to avoid being a grammar nazi, but the post above was hard to read. Maybe it's because you were on a phone or tablet, or just because you're on a forum, I'm not sure. Just bear in mind, when you start corresponding for business, it will do you well to focus on grammar, spelling and punctuation. Separating paragraphs is also very helpful. Trust me, I'm a professional ;)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top