JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently inherited a fair number of firearms from an out of state relative and am scratching my head at how to get them back here. There are too many to check as luggage on a plane and I am estimating it would be over $1K in transfer fees (and that is just transfer fees, no shipping) and having a large number in a car for a drive consisting of multiple days really doesn't sound to appealing either.

I did come across an ATF FAQ( https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf-files/0813-firearms-top-12-qas.pdf ) that seems to state that in the case of a bequest, I can legally ship from myself to myself without having to go through a FFL.

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences with a similar situation?

I take it that none of these inherited firearms are NFA guns, just run of the mill firearms?
I remember reading about a guy in the same envious situation as you, and he packed up all the guns real well and shipped them and the gun safe that they were stored in to himself.
I do believe that he sold a couple of to help with the shipping cost.

I take it that none of these inherited firearms are NFA guns, just run of the mill firearms?
I remember reading about a guy in the same envious situation as you, and he packed up all the guns real well and shipped them and the gun safe that they were stored in to himself.
I do believe that he sold a couple of to help with the shipping cost.

Yes you can ship to yourself. Sorta like sending your rifle to a barrel manufacture to have the barrel replaced an then they send it back to you.

Just saw this listed on Armslist tonight. Might work for you. $300.00

Home Oregon Portland Miscellaneous For Sale/Trade: Military Gun Shipping/Storage Container

For Sale/Trade: Military Gun Shipping/Storage Container
Price $ 300
Listed On: Sunday, February 15, 2015
Listed In: Miscellaneous
Shipping: No

3931951_01_military_gun_shipping_storage__640.jpg

3931951_03_military_gun_shipping_storage__640.jpg

3931951_02_military_gun_shipping_storage__640.jpg

Well if you have enough that you are worried about the transfer cost, I have a feeling, proper insured shipping will kill you too.

Sound like an awesome and worth while road trip to me........

Thanks for the comments and suggestions all. The firearms are all run of the mill non NFA stuff and are located on the east coast. Looks like a trip to UPS or a road trip is in my near future.

I was definitely not given an early inheritance firearm from a relative who definitely doesn't live in New Jersey. Seeing as how I'm an Oregonian, I definitely wanted to keep myself straight with the law. In this case I definitely did not box it up in NJ, drive a few miles into the more reasonable state of Pennsylvania, go to a UPS store, and ship it home to myself overnighted. No, you see, I would never do that! That would mean I would have transferred an unregistered gun through NJ without a transfer! That would be stupid of me! I have too much respect for NJ and all of their glorious laws! Long live Lord Christie! Seig Heil!

(There definitely wasn't a wink or a nudge or two in this message)

My understanding was 594 does not apply to firearms acquired through inheritance from family member.

Double check just to be safe but you shouldn't have to pay the $25 FFL for each one.

Would flying out there and packing each one carefully into a motorcycle crate for fright forward be an option?

I shipped a really heavy 750cc Aprilia motorcycle from Tucson AZ to Seattle WA a few years ago and it was only $400 including $6k insurance on the bike and crate packing.

Took about 10 days due to all the stops they made in CA on the way to pick up and drop off other bikes but arrived well packed, safe and sound.

I'm sure any motorcycle dealer would be happy to give you a crate, they have to pay to dispose of them.

My son drove from Virgina beach Virgina to Silverton Oregon in 3 days. That's 3400 miles at 65mph is 52 hours of driving in 4 days. 3 nights Towing a motorcycle on a trailer behind a Mitsubishi Lancer.

Personally I would change the oil in the Pickup air up the tires, Build a solid wooden crate that could be chained into the back of the truck under the canopy which also locks and go get them.

But then I drive a dump truck as much as 12 hours a day so driving a medium sized pickup 800+ miles a day is no big deal.

two years ago I drove to far SE AZ to pickup my mom and a bunch of her stuff from my lil brothers. Took two days (one night) 800 miles a day roughly with a 2 hour stop to visit a friend on the way down. Spent one crappy night trying to sleep in a fifth wheel dining table bed and then came home in 2 days one night.

All depends on what you want.

if they are clear across the country your looking at $800 in gas (at 20mpg) to go get them.
30 bucks a day for food and 60-70 a night for lodging

Not sure what round trip air fare building a crate and shipping would be.

I would think you could easily bring 4-5 long guns and a dozen handguns on as checked luggage. I have traveled with 4-5 firearms and no one batted an eye just follow the rules and be nice to the TSA dude.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top