JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"that's why I quit chasing Springers, steelhead, or chinook salmon."

When I'm not catchin I'm not having a good time because I KNOW how, where and when to catch 'em, they just aren't there anymore due to mismanagement.
I get more satisfaction on the lake.
Don't get me wrong, I love when I catch them as well. It's just an added bonus for me and I mostly go for Trout or whatever happens to bite on.

It never occurred to me that primers could be reloaded, but apparently they can. Chanced upon several sources on that topic, including a homemade primer course and an outfit which sells primer compound. Some links below. Interesting stuff, but don't think I'm a primer-making kind of guy, least not until genuine SHTF starts going off and we're truly on our own.

Homemade primer course:

Forum where others discuss making primers:

NRA ammunition making:

Primer compound source:

It never occurred to me that primers could be reloaded, but apparently they can. Chanced upon several sources on that topic, including a homemade primer course and an outfit which sells primer compound. Some links below. Interesting stuff, but don't think I'm a primer-making kind of guy, least not until genuine SHTF starts going off and we're truly on our own.

Problem is when S does HTF, this stuff goes missing as well like it did a year ago, I've only seen it back in the last 6 months.

And now this. Good grief, a bit surprised after all these years (decades) involved with shooting sports I was unaware of this cottage industry for people who make their own primers.

After watching the videos the process looks relatively easy, and using the compound would be even simpler. But handgun a world of difference from rifle. For reloading cartridges we have strict powder recipes to follow, but when it comes to reloading primers that kind of support appears missing. Would be very wary of a homemade primer for something like 338 Win Mag...

That makes sense. Have you made your own primers, and if so, how well did they work? I can well imagine it is a painstaking, time-consuming process...
I haven't made my own primers but I have thought about it as just a fun side thing to do.
And now this. Good grief, a bit surprised after all these years (decades) involved with shooting sports I was unaware of this cottage industry for people who make their own primers.
If anyone wants to load their own primers, I've got a bucket full of perfectly good once-fired primers I'd make you a good deal on. :)
The Caps themselves are not reusable but the anvils inside them are and used caps are a good source for primer anvils as getting them new is a massive pain to get and find when I was looking.
Didn't @arakboss do some work on primer reloading? I seem to recall he was working on developing a recipe and process some time ago…

Or maybe I'm just having a boomer moment…
There was a member who was talking about recharging primers as a project, could find the thread if searched for.

After watching the videos the process looks relatively easy, and using the compound would be even simpler. But handgun a world of difference from rifle. For reloading cartridges we have strict powder recipes to follow, but when it comes to reloading primers that kind of support appears missing. Would be very wary of a homemade primer for something like 338 Win Mag...
The two are not to dissimilar from each other. As for worrying about over charging them, it's not much of a concern as there is a max amount you can add in and still fit the anvil. If I remember right, to make a magnum you add a little more to the cap or adjust the ratio of compounds a little but not by much, can't remember which it is.

The two are not to dissimilar from each other. As for worrying about over charging them, it's not much of a concern as there is a max amount you can add in and still fit the anvil. If I remember right, to make a magnum you add a little more to the cap or adjust the ratio of compounds a little but not by much, can't remember which it is.
Not so much the primer charge I'd worry about, but pressure. Even the 6.5 PRC has pressure max of 65,000. I'd be concerned about reusing a spent primer with pressures like that. Have no idea if that's a real concern, but there it is.

Not so much the primer charge I'd worry about, but pressure. Even the 6.5 PRC has pressure max of 65,000. I'd be concerned about reusing a spent primer with pressures like that. Have no idea if that's a real concern, but there it is.
You wouldn't reuse the cups but you'd reuse the anvils inside them as those as the same new or used. Making new cups is must likely what I would do instead of reusing spent ones. This would remove the issue of worrying about the used cups.

Oh G-dammit! You mean now I need to start saving primer cups and, ANVILS TOO! :s0001:

So then, this means that when they start taking name/info on ammo purchases they'll need to start doing that for primer and powder buyers too. Reason #235 why I'm glad I won't be around in 50 years.

I've been reading threads on things like this for years. There are so many little rabbit trails to go down related to reloading. Many of them are interesting from a technical perspective, maybe a fun project for someone with time to spare just to see if it can be done, but definitely way outside the range of practical for anyone who values their time for other things at all. I'm not even sure if bullet casting is worth it for me anymore.

I reload and cast bullets, and have tinkered with berdan primed brass on occasion. I've been interested in bullet swaging but could never bring myself to lay out the money for the tools. I've looked into making gas checks, reloading rimfires, and now primers, and determined that those involve way too much investment in time and money for such little return, for me at least. They're still technically interesting projects though, and I certainly don't blame anyone who likes to tinker and learn how to do challenging things.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there is figuring out how to mine and refine copper and zinc, alloy their own brass and turn it into cases. There's a challenging project for someone. :)

Another Large Rifle primer source, this time at 9¢ per primer. Haven't used Ginex from Bosnia Herzegovina (think Sarajevo), but seen a review of them here and there. For the most part people find them reliable, always fire. However, some say they are tight fitting in the primer pocket, so take that for what it's worth. Here's the link to an available source, and notably American Reloading does not charge either shipping or hazmat, so that 9¢ per primer rate stays true.

I see that the local BiMart has Fiocchi SR primers for $9.49 per box of 150.

It sure seems odd that LR primers are so hard to find. It's the size that I use the least, that I probably have the most of.

I see that the local BiMart has Fiocchi SR primers for $9.49 per box of 150.

It sure seems odd that LR primers are so hard to find. It's the size that I use the least, that I probably have the most of.
I guess a lot of guys only buy a sleeve or two for hunting season and suddenly are now panicking, because they just have not been on shelves since Covid or slightly before. I have always taken advantage of good deals and grabbed a few bricks of S&B Large Rifle Magnum primers when they were offered online for $20 per brick a few years ago. While I experienced some hang fires in .300 Win Mag loads, they have worked just fine in .270 Win., .308 Win and .243 Win. I also have a good stock of Federal 210, CCI-200 and 250 and some Winchester Large rifle magnum as well. I use a lot of small pistol and small rifle primers, but I continue to find decent deals on those, Fiocchi being my current favorite to stock up on when available.

I could go through a lot more LR primers back when surplus powder could be had for $5/lb. Nowadays I think I'd need to take out a bank loan in order to buy enough H4895 to use up a thousand LR primers for M1 Garand ammo.

I think I still have a brick of CCI LR Bench-Rest primers from the early 90's. I really should start using them up. I used to feel good about having lots of ammo and components around "for the future"; lately I've been starting to think that having stuff around that I don't use is just a waste of space.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top