JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have noticed that same system of having to read a current daily list to view what powder and primers are available behind the counter at Coastal, Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse on different occasions.
I wouldn't mind this as much if it wasn't for the fact that employees have abused these types of systems before to benefit themselves or their friends. Sportsmans use to do it till corporate put an end to it because employees would backstock or hind things for themselves or friends, some even thought it was their job to decide who gets what or if they deserved it. This pissed off a lot of customers to the point corporate revoked a lot of employee perks that were causing it, I know that at the stores around me a number of people even got fired for it. Preventing theft or creating false shortages are the only reason I can see doing this.

I have noticed that same system of having to read a current daily list to view what powder and primers are available behind the counter at Coastal, Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse on different occasions.
That was Sportsmen's after things started coming back after Sandy Hook. Look at list. Catch an employee, tell him what you want. He'd go in back and bring it out. It was kind of exciting actually. At least back then when powder came back the price wasn't $20.00+/FJB more a pound!

While I can't say he's fully to blame, he hasn't helped matters either. Sadly a large part of it is corporate greed, avg cost to make a brick is around $35 wholesale(make and ship), make your own, $55 Retail.
Before anyone gets upset, yes greed is a large part of it, primer manufactures have reported record profits for the last 1 1/2 years.

Last Edited:
While I can say he's fully to blame, me hasn't helped matters either. Sadly a large part of it is corporate greed, avg cost to make a brick is around $35 wholesale(make and ship), make your own, $55 Retail.
Before anyone gets upset, yes greed is a large part of it, primer manufactures have reported record profits for the last 1 1/2 years.
Agreed but he started it. Shame on the corps/people who played games with our hobby/obsession.

I don't like the high prices on primers and now powder, as well, but put yourself in the position of the companies in the industry. Every day they face the threat of possible shut down by the ATF, the DOJ, the EPA or the WHO, for goodness sake. Not to mention unconstitutional laws by random ( or ran by dumb) state governments on top of constant threats by progressive democrats in the federal government. For the sake of their shareholders and employees, they need to make as much as possible while they are still allowed to. Which is also why I reject the "artificial contrived shortage" being perpetrated by unscrupulous corporations theory. In their situation, they are trying to make and sell as much as they possibly can. I just try to keep stocked up on the best deals I can find and hope my stash holds out as long as I do..

I don't like the high prices on primers and now powder, as well, but put yourself in the position of the companies in the industry. Every day they face the threat of possible shut down by the ATF, the DOJ, the EPA or the WHO, for goodness sake. Not to mention unconstitutional laws by random ( or ran by dumb) state governments on top of constant threats by progressive democrats in the federal government. For the sake of their shareholders and employees, they need to make as much as possible while they are still allowed to. Which is also why I reject the "artificial contrived shortage" being perpetrated by unscrupulous corporations theory. In their situation, they are trying to make and sell as much as they possibly can. I just try to keep stocked up on the best deals I can find and hope my stash holds out as long as I do..
I can't really disagree with you, but if the above scenario is truly the case in the business model today, then should the working man be getting a substantial wage increase in the last few years he works for a company? you know, because he's going to retire and will need to make as much as he possibly can?
Myself, if I'm forced to, I'll do like I did with fishing. Prices for licensing got more and more expensive, and the fishing less productive due to cuts in hatchery salmon and steelhead, so I quit buying.

The only time I buy primers and powders from stores is when my "friends in low places" cannot supply my needs. :D
I'll walk away from $50 per powder & $100 primers and go fishing, I'm not that hard up for components… Boolits is another story….. :p

I can't really disagree with you, but if the above scenario is truly the case in the business model today, then should the working man be getting a substantial wage increase in the last few years he works for a company? you know, because he's going to retire and will need to make as much as he possibly can?
Myself, if I'm forced to, I'll do like I did with fishing. Prices for licensing got more and more expensive, and the fishing less productive due to cuts in hatchery salmon and steelhead, so I quit buying.
I agree Mike, that's why I quit chasing Springers, steelhead, or chinook salmon.
And they only reason I still fish for Coho is the river is 10 minutes from my house, and if there's fish in the river, I can catch one which is better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Nowadays, I really enjoy fishing (catching) in a lake these days, especially Riffe lake. :s0116::s0116::s0116:

I agree Mike, that's why I quit chasing Springers, steelhead, or chinook salmon.
And they only reason I still fish for Coho is the river is 10 minutes from my house, and if there's fish in the river, I can catch one which is better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Nowadays, I really enjoy fishing (catching) in a lake these days, especially Riffe lake. :s0116::s0116::s0116:
I can't blame you for that Jim. I think the worst for me is losing the desire to fish.
I was at the work bench for some reason yesterday and saw a pin-on button that had been there, on a hook, since we bought the house most likely. It said; "Fishing is NOT a matter of life & death. It's MUCH more important that that." I've been trying to get rid of clutter. So I threw it in the garbage.

I can't blame you for that Jim. I think the worst for me is losing the desire to fish.
I was at the work bench for some reason yesterday and saw a pin-on button that had been there, on a hook, since we bought the house most likely. It said; "Fishing is NOT a matter of life & death. It's MUCH more important that that." I've been trying to get rid of clutter. So I threw it in the garbage.
Catch or not, I go fishing for the relaxation it provides me. If I'm not relaxed or relaxing, I'm doing it wrong. :s0071:

Catch or not, I go fishing for the relaxation it provides me. If I'm not relaxed or relaxing, I'm doing it wrong. :s0071:
I'm glad for you. And I truly hope you always have that going for you. It's really good for the kids too. I've seen some incredible things in my life due to being a fisherman.

"that's why I quit chasing Springers, steelhead, or chinook salmon."

When I'm not catchin I'm not having a good time because I KNOW how, where and when to catch 'em, they just aren't there anymore due to mismanagement.
I get more satisfaction on the lake.

Hear ya. They're succeeding in pricing us out of gun sports, so at least temporarily I'm looking at fishing for more outdoor activity and letting the shooting habit abate until the madness subsides. Which or course is an approach laced with optimism. The pessimist in me thinks "normality" may never return to gun sports, but we'll see. Just doing what I can to live on a healthy component supply and not be subject to today's extreme corporate greed.

On a side note, the state game and fish agencies are destroying fishing sports as well. I chanced upon a 1972 Washington State fishing manual at the library. It was a grand total of 22 pages long. That's all. Compare that to today's fishing manual of 100+ pages and you can physically see how over-the-top complicated the bureaucrats in Olympia have made fishing. I'm not into hating, but I do feel kernels of hatred toward the greedy corporations and bureaucratic agency destroyers of our sports...

I gave up on salmon and steelhead years ago. Too much regs and too expensive. Trout fishing in Nevada is surprisingly good and inexpensive. Nice sized fish, everyone is after bass. Last 4th of July...😁. I took my buddy's daughter with me and she nailed the big smally. She had a great time look at that grin🥰.

1000002735.jpg
1000002746.jpg

When I'm not catchin I'm not having a good time because I KNOW how, where and when to catch 'em, they just aren't there anymore due to mismanagement.
I get more satisfaction on the lake.
I didn't have to be catching to have a good time. Seeing people catching was good enough for me! Knowing fish were there would keep me there! When I used to fish the upper Clackamas for summer's those few years before I got the boat, I was always alone! But I knew the fish were there because of dam counts. and once dialed in, caught fish almost every tiem. Now THAT, was an incredible fishery! Taken away, musta' been 25 years ago now? And of course some hippy fish huggin' bug thrower is touting a couple thousand, maybe, more wild fish up there.

I'm glad for you. And I truly hope you always have that going for you. It's really good for the kids too. I've seen some incredible things in my life due to being a fisherman.
If I can get them to be a little less loud LOL I plan to take mine with me on my next fishing trip. Oldest is also old enough to finally to also go hunting with me as well, hoping to do that this year as well.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top