JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have not looked into the laser or sirt stuff yet, worth looking into. I am more interested in the bullseye type stuff right now.

I went out tonight with my G21, ran 150 rounds in 3 round groups at ranges from 10-30+ yards. I used a standard sheet of paper and aim center mass, 100% out to 20 but beyond 20 yards I start getting flyers and by 30+ yards I am at about 50%. the sights I am using are the I-dots which have a wide rear notch .180" and a skinny front blade .125" (maybe part of the issue). I am thinking practice, dry fire drills, and new sights will get me going in the right direction. I am also thinking of taking the XS sights of my G19 and selling those and getting something simular to what I want on my G21 and shooting that more at the same distances as the .45 is rough on the wallet.

So far the top of the list are the standard trijicon sights, the HDs, or the dawsons. Any thoughts?

I haven't played around with sights on my Walther ppq yet, but one thing that had an immediate positive effect on my accuracy (which I only just did a couple weeks ago) was changing the backstrap on the grip to a larger size. If your gun has adjustable grips, try playing around with them. I wish I had gotten around to messing with my grip earlier- it instantly cut my group size in half, at least. I learned that having the correct firing grip with your support hand is (for me) the most important part of handgun accuracy. Finally, I can now consistently hit the center ring at 25 yards!

A bit of an old thread, but if you are still looking for help, try Advanced Firearms & Training in Gresham. Just stop in and talk to Ron or Tony and see if they can help. They have a laser range that can be configured a number of different ways that you can shoot on while they watch you to see what you need to change. Not far from you and well worth a stop-in to see what's up. They offer excellent coaching in a friendly, laid-back environment. No one will yell at you!! Unless you want them to. They are between Burnside and Division just west of where they cross, next to the Mattress store. 503-912-1842

Without knowing what exactly you're training for, I can't really give any practical advice. However, the VAST majority of self-defense shootings occur inside 21 feet. If you're training for this, why are you shooting out to 30+ yards? Of course your accuracy is going to drop at distances like that. What do you expect with a handgun?

Let me know if you find someone, I'd be interested too. I live in White Salmon. If you ever make it up this way, I'd be happy to have you as my guest at the Mt. Adams Fish & Game Association. They have an indoor and outdoor range. I'm there a lot and sometimes teach the NRA Basic Pistol course there.

I live out by Mt. Hood but would be happy to drive a reasonable distance (1-2 hrs). I am interested in some training for handgun accuracy (target style) in a low key environment. The classes with explosions and yelling do not interest me, not what I am looking for. Just looking for some instruction and range time with someone who can shrink my groups down. Even a local competitor who does not mind carving out an afternoon would be great.

My background:
I spent almost six years in the infantry, been shooting long guns for 20 years and handguns for ten. Professional I am not but I can hold my own. I just really struggle with getting my accuracy to the next level. I shoot a G21 and G19 exclusively.

It would be great if someone could recommend someone as I really want to know what I am paying for.
Contact Chuck Fox at Clark Rifles (Vancouver). He offers top notch handgun instruction. No large group, no drama.
If you would like his #, pm me.
Best,
Gary

I live out by Mt. Hood but would be happy to drive a reasonable distance (1-2 hrs). I am interested in some training for handgun accuracy (target style) in a low key environment. The classes with explosions and yelling do not interest me, not what I am looking for. Just looking for some instruction and range time with someone who can shrink my groups down. Even a local competitor who does not mind carving out an afternoon would be great.

My background:
I spent almost six years in the infantry, been shooting long guns for 20 years and handguns for ten. Professional I am not but I can hold my own. I just really struggle with getting my accuracy to the next level. I shoot a G21 and G19 exclusively.

It would be great if someone could recommend someone as I really want to know what I am paying for.
Sent you a PM

The reason I am interested in shooting over feet is three fold: 1. its fun, 2. If I can be confident at 30 yards inside of 10 yards..., 3. Lastly I have carried a handgun while hunting for a dispatch gun and have wanted to handgun hunt or at least have the option

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top