JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live out by Mt. Hood but would be happy to drive a reasonable distance (1-2 hrs). I am interested in some training for handgun accuracy (target style) in a low key environment. The classes with explosions and yelling do not interest me, not what I am looking for. Just looking for some instruction and range time with someone who can shrink my groups down. Even a local competitor who does not mind carving out an afternoon would be great.

My background:
I spent almost six years in the infantry, been shooting long guns for 20 years and handguns for ten. Professional I am not but I can hold my own. I just really struggle with getting my accuracy to the next level. I shoot a G21 and G19 exclusively.

It would be great if someone could recommend someone as I really want to know what I am paying for.

Not what you asked for but how much do you shoot?

I've found I'm a much better shot when I go weekly vs monthly as an example.

It sounds like you may have the mental tools to improve just by increasing your range time.

Start close and move out.

Also, what kind of groups are you trying for?

I have been shooting bi-weekly, and doing 150 a trip. I go alone and really make the most of the ammo (not a rich guy). I would really like to be pie plate at 25yards (CONSISTENTLY). Right now I am just shy of that target but at 35 yards I am wacking little half silhouettes at about 75%.

One of my first obstacles was finding the right sights. XS sights were not cutting it, switched to the trijicon "I-dot" wish the front blade filled up the back a little more. I ended pushing the rear to the right quite a bit. but at 35 yards I am wacking little half silhouettes at about 75%.

The school that are out there are advertising things like "midset", or "tactical" or better yet want you to take their basic course before you can step up and the courses are 5 days at $1600.

I have been shooting bi-weekly, and doing 150 a trip. I go alone and really make the most of the ammo (not a rich guy). I would really like to be pie plate at 25yards (CONSISTENTLY). Right now I am just shy of that target but at 35 yards I am wacking little half silhouettes at about 75%.

One of my first obstacles was finding the right sights. XS sights were not cutting it, switched to the trijicon "I-dot" wish the front blade filled up the back a little more. I ended pushing the rear to the right quite a bit. but at 35 yards I am wacking little half silhouettes at about 75%.

I like Dawson precision fiber optic sites on my Glock, got the red on the front and the stock black on my G40 and red front, green adjustable on my G21. Nice thing about Dawson is they will do what it takes to make it right.

100% no BS, just trying to save you some money if possible.

Go buy a .22lr pistol that fits your hands (Ruger mk3 or other target model preferably - or a polymer version of the larger models of you'd rather have that) and a couple boxes of ammo and start shooting 300-500 every outing.

The less recoil will do worlds for your accuracy as you most likely have developed a flinch if your only hitting a pie plate at 25yards.

You will also get 2-3 times the amount of ammo down range for cheaper or comparable to what you are paying now.

If I start missing coke cans around 50 yards I always go back to a .22 and practice breathing and squeezing. As well as a lot of the time between larger caliber's guns just to double check that I'm not flinching or compensating for recoil (I do the same with rifles).

If you don't like the .22 you can get close to your money back and still go to a school.

That's how I learned and practice but that may not be for everyone.

Get yourself a decent air gun and pellet trap. Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more. Add to that all the range time you can with your regular firearm.

Wondering if the pellet or air guns point of impact is much different won't that set back your practice or training? Maybe for general gun handling drills but wouldn't dry firing be just as effective? Serious question.

Wondering if the pellet or air guns point of impact is much different won't that set back your practice or training? Maybe for general gun handling drills but wouldn't dry firing be just as effective? Serious question.

Dry firing is great but gives you very little real time feedback.

Air guns are great at 25 yards and the same principles apply to keep groups tight. (My brother still won't forgive me for using his gi Joe and Star Wars figures as targets when we were kids - but the hands would come off then the elbows etc so it was great feedback as too what I was aiming for and hitting:D).

Yes, the 9mm and 45acp will have different points of impact but that can be compensated for by properly adjusting the sights to fit your shooting style.

Just my 2 pennies, I'm not a professional anything in the shooting world.

ARPC has a practical defensive pistol evening about once a month it looks like. Free & open to the public.

I was going to go yesterday, but overslept (few bad night shifts in a row), so I can't speak to how useful it might be for your goal.

Maybe give the range officer(s) who run it a call?

The ARPC calendar is online, I think the next one is mid/late September on a Wednesday.

So here is where I am at...

1. I have been shooting more (with good results)
2. I purchased some snap caps so I can do some dry firing at home
3. Next gun show I am going to pick up a steel 10" gong for some more responsive shooting

I have been playing around with triggers and sights a bit. My 21 has the "-" disconnect which is a good option as it helps and is not a carry gun. The apex flat trigger is well liked and seems like a good bang for the buck. I have the I-dot sights which I like but wish they were a little more fine for longer shots the rear could be a little smaller or the front a little wider. The dawson pecision adjustable are calling my name but at $160 will have to wait.

Other than starting close and shooting more are there and good drills out there that will help. I am really after some drills to do that will be conservative on ammo, I am spending like $80 every other week on winchester white box.

So here is where I am at...

1. I have been shooting more (with good results)
2. I purchased some snap caps so I can do some dry firing at home
3. Next gun show I am going to pick up a steel 10" gong for some more responsive shooting

I have been playing around with triggers and sights a bit. My 21 has the "-" disconnect which is a good option as it helps and is not a carry gun. The apex flat trigger is well liked and seems like a good bang for the buck. I have the I-dot sights which I like but wish they were a little more fine for longer shots the rear could be a little smaller or the front a little wider. The dawson pecision adjustable are calling my name but at $160 will have to wait.

Other than starting close and shooting more are there and good drills out there that will help. I am really after some drills to do that will be conservative on ammo, I am spending like $80 every other week on winchester white box.

I'll often load only 3-5 round in a mag and that makes me shoot less and change mags more, also help me stay familiar with what an empty gun does and most of my failures happen toward an empty mag.

I would not suggest moving and shooting, while some may, because you need to keep your groups tight as you most likely will not be run and gunning in your home for defense..

Try potatoes, a $3 bag goes a long way and are great fun to shoot and watch explode like the Death Star;). And if your out in the forest they do not require clean up.:)

I'd keep trying 3 round groups, change mags and repeat. Slows down the process and gives you time to think with all the reloading of mags.

I'm on an insanely tight budget so that's how I try and conserve what little I have left.

If you are spending that much, I would recommend you buy it buy the 1000 round case and save money - maybe even from the factory reloaders and keep it even cheaper.

Best of Luck and it sounds like your taking all the right steps.

From the original post it sounded like you are interested in NRA Bullseye type shooting for accuracy, not necessarily all of the "Tactical" IDPA/IPSC classes available in the area.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top