JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK looking to build up an accurate AR-10 type rifle. I've read the ultimate Mega MATEN thread in its entirety, and other things as well. Honestly not that much of a geek, probably just have Curts assemble the best I can come up with out of quality parts. I just need to know which direction anyone might recommend or perhaps other resources to go research.

Am I going to shoot it out to 1000 yards? I'd like to, but maybe 600 might be my upper limit. I will. I'd also like to be able to hunt with it as well so 15 pounds of gun wont fly either.

Don't see any future need for CQB/mall-ninja setup. smacking steel from a long ways away and the occasional meat for the table is all I see.

I have a large variety of decent accurate bolt action rigs, just want to get this in before November. If you get my drift.

Any ideas?

Someone always answers these questions in these threads totally not what the op was asking and sorry to be that guy, but if you want to keep it light enough to pack around the woods, an AR 15 in 6.5 grendel is another option.

It doesn't shoot as flat as a Creedmoor or hit as hard as a .308 but it's what I shoot 600 yd F class with and shares similar trajectory as .308. I would feel confident making an ethical kill with it out to 300 or so.

Someone always answers these questions in these threads totally not what the op was asking and sorry to be that guy, but if you want to keep it light enough to pack around the woods, an AR 15 in 6.5 grendel is another option.

It doesn't shoot as flat as a Creedmoor or hit as hard as a .308 but it's what I shoot 600 yd F class with and shares similar trajectory as .308. I would feel confident making an ethical kill with it out to 300 or so.

I appreciate that, thank you! Have ar15's with plans for flexibility in calibers down the road.

I built one on Aero M5 recievers. I got the 24" Criterion National Match barrel from Fulton armory. I have not yet had time to build a load for it yet but even with ball ammo it shoots amazing. The barrel also cleans easily and seems more resistant to copper fouling compared to my R25.

are you solid on wanting to build a AR-10? whats your budget? Sometimes its better to just buy a complete rifle if you can find what hits all your buttons.

are you solid on wanting to build a AR-10? whats your budget? Sometimes its better to just buy a complete rifle if you can find what hits all your buttons.

I'm tracking here. Looking to go about $2k all in less optics. I'd be up for something already built, I just don't want to have to tweek things out after the fact.

Trouble is on this platform I don't know what I want yet so buying premade has its merits!

I also "plink" with mine at 400 yds. Shoots very consistent at that range. My plans are to make it to 1k but I am having trouble finding a safe place to shoot that distance as well as time to develop a load to make the trip. 600 yards will be no problem with a good rifle. I am running a Vortex Viper PST 6x24 and its a great combo.

While its over your budget, the Larue OBR is about as good as you can get as far as accuracy I think. I dont have one but its on the top of my list, its just hard to justify spending that much for another semi auto 308 ;)

While its over your budget, the Larue OBR is about as good as you can get as far as accuracy I think. I dont have one but its on the top of my list, its just hard to justify spending that much for another semi auto 308 ;)

What is the wait time on the Larue? Around 2 years last I heard! Thats worse timing than getting something from Tactical Rifles.

We will all be shooting during the next 1 - 2 years while your trying to build it. We will all be on to other hobbies by then. Also might be hard finding some parts when people start panicking because of the upcoming election. Just buy a complete rifle and be done with it. Life is too short.

1,000 yard AR-10 that belongs to someone I know on another forum:
upload_2016-8-12_15-27-42.png

As he describes it:
"This is the 1000 Yd DMPS AR10, 24" Stainless Bull Barrel, Optics is Burris Eliminator III
4-16X, 50mm Objective, 1200Yd Laser RangeFinder, Bullet Drop Compensating Ballistic Computer, All in one Device....."

You don't have to spend a ton of money - MSRP is $1,200 and the scope is in the same range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top