JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Stay tuned" Two years is unacceptable to make people wait to pitch your idea, let alone making people wait any longer. Whatever you've cooked up certainly doesn't beat the tried and true methods developed by the tens of thousands of professionals over the last hundred years. The new tech is neat, but nothing you bring to the table won't have an achilles heal. Let this thread stay dead. I won't be coming back to it for any reason.

I did a fair amount or research about the various commercial camera solutions. Based on my (admittedly internet based research) the inexpensive cameras ($400 and below) appeared to make questionable claims about the actual distance over which they worked; the expensive systems were just that, expensive and still not reliably capable of the distances they claimed.

I went a different way and pieced together a system using commercial quality network radios that should (given line of sight; which they all need) be good for a mile plus for a little under $600 (plus my laptop computer if I want to record a shooting session, e.g., doing an OCW ladder).

I'm waiting for nicer weather to try it out, but given my preliminary trials around my place, I'm pretty confident that it can deliver the goods.

Two ammo cans, two light stands (tripods), a laptop in my car and a screen (smart phone/Ipad) and I'm good to go at the shooting station.

I reread the #1 post and thought I answered his question. After every shot I mark the target beside me. I don't usually hit the same hole twice and am able to keep track of the rounds. Am I missing something?
So you "marked" your shot.. that has nothing to do with "placement". anyhoo

Maybe he got lost while walking down range to check out his distant target... :eek::D
Andy
At least he wasn't put on everyone's ignore list...

No no, I'm still here. Apparently every time I'm on the site I'm not logged in...
I was intentionally vague, and your answers were (and are) exactly what I was hoping to hear.
You guys were right, I was building up to something, and I didn't say what, but I will say this: stay tuned. It's taken me much longer than I anticipated (all KINDS of stuff get in the way!). It'll be glorious.
Relatively...

I'd be interested to know what wireless and wired target cameras you're familiar with. The ones I know of start at about $350 and go up from there...TargetVision, Bullseye, Caldwell.

I did a fair amount or research about the various commercial camera solutions. Based on my (admittedly internet based research) the inexpensive cameras ($400 and below) appeared to make questionable claims about the actual distance over which they worked; the expensive systems were just that, expensive and still not reliably capable of the distances they claimed.
I went a different way and pieced together a system using commercial quality network radios that should (given line of sight; which they all need) be good for a mile plus for a little under $600 (plus my laptop computer if I want to record a shooting session, e.g., doing an OCW ladder).
I'm waiting for nicer weather to try it out, but given my preliminary trials around my place, I'm pretty confident that it can deliver the goods.
Two ammo cans, two light stands (tripods), a laptop in my car and a screen (smart phone/Ipad) and I'm good to go at the shooting station.
I did the same ~3 years ago with a waterproof camera on a swivel mount, coupled with long range WiFi camera transmitters, coupled to YAGI antennas. Camera at the target end, video to USB converter at the other, feeding the video into an industrial tablet I have.
Both ends are powered by 2500mAh 12v batteries. Klunky, but at <$100, I was pleased. Except for the mount frames, and Yagi's, all the camera gear fits inside a Dewalt drill case that I have gutted.
I have tested it to 1km. Lining up the YAGIs is simple enough, since it provides a nice directional arrow.

Edit to add: it's a PITA to haul around. I rarely get to places to shoot far enough to justify using it. All the rest of the times (300 yards or less) I am using high contrast targets and a cheap spotting scope.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads