JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get thee to a range hosting an NRA long range and/or Palma match; the first step is observing how things work. Shooter, scorer and target puller work as basically a team. Then do the research (meaning lots of reading). Finally put together a rifle system together that will meet the requirements, test your loads very well and then go participate.

What are your solutions are to the problem of spotting your rounds on target at long distances?

How do you identify your shot placement at long distances. Any distance, all distances; any/all targets.
My buddy could hit anything at any distance, offhand.. according to him. If you couldn't spot his rounds hitting a given target, it was your fault and you were just blind.

I hire a liberal to stand next to the target with a cell phone and call me with the results. Most of them are so dense its not hard to find one. The offer of a few food stamps or MAX train tickets to a Protest usually works.

If I can't find a Liberal I just use my spotting scope its 48 power If that won't work I guess I could use my little Meade ETX-90 UHTC telescope.

Back when I was doing such things for a living, well, sometimes, I allowed myself the comfort of the knowledge that my lucky shot was somebody else's unlucky shot. I strove, therefore, to do the very best that I could with every shot I fired, in the hope that those circumstances would never be the other way around.

Even now, when shooting at very little, that thought is going through my head with every shot I fire.

As for this thread, well, shooting at long-range steel was something I did long ago and far away, except in my mind, and my abiding memory is that after running down from 1000 yards to 600 yards, in full kit, 60 pound Bergen rucks and wearing a respirator/MOB suit, of just how grateful I was to be able to lie down for a a few seconds before I started shooting - more often in the p*ssing rain.

tac

Maybe he got lost while walking down range to check out his distant target... :eek::D
Andy

Or he got bit by a rattler on the way down...

1001111644a.jpg

RIP.....:oops:

No no, I'm still here. Apparently every time I'm on the site I'm not logged in...

I was intentionally vague, and your answers were (and are) exactly what I was hoping to hear.

You guys were right, I was building up to something, and I didn't say what, but I will say this: stay tuned. It's taken me much longer than I anticipated (all KINDS of stuff get in the way!). It'll be glorious.

No no, I'm still here. Apparently every time I'm on the site I'm not logged in...

I was intentionally vague, and your answers were (and are) exactly what I was hoping to hear.

You guys were right, I was building up to something, and I didn't say what, but I will say this: stay tuned. It's taken me much longer than I anticipated (all KINDS of stuff get in the way!). It'll be glorious.

As I'm sure you've seen being intentionally vague drives guys nuts. Ask a direct question and people are happy to answer. Asking something vague is likely to irritate people.

As I'm sure you've seen being intentionally vague drives guys nuts. Ask a direct question and people are happy to answer. Asking something vague is likely to irritate people.

I do know this; my vague question (original post wasn't vague so much as it was quite broad, but I accept that some view that as too vague) served two purposes. One, to see how others would directly answer, and two, to see what they'd ask in regards to specifics.

And the original post really is as specific as the question can be. My question covers long range, short range, indoor, outdoor, rifles, pistols, known distance, moving, any target type, rimfire, centerfire, airsoft... Any more specific, and I'm asking how you like what I'm building, and I'm not ready for that yet.

There are currently a number of products available for long range shooters to spot shots. There are wireless and wired target cameras, There are vibration based indicators for steel targets (they flash a light when the target is hit) There are a number of other crazy technologies out there as well but between the two of those you can cover most situations that are outside what can be viewed through the rifle optics/spotting scope.

I'd be interested to know what wireless and wired target cameras you're familiar with. The ones I know of start at about $350 and go up from there...TargetVision, Bullseye, Caldwell.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top