JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My current long range rifle is my Weatherby 338-378. she needs new glass and a place to shoot honestly.
If it were me and what you listed were my choices, i would go 300 WM mostly due to being able to suppress it.

I would guess the 7mm I just bought would suppress just as easy as the 300wm since they fly at about the same speed
Mostly the suppressor redirects the report down range.Doesn't suppress much going near 3kfps

Oh I have the hunting rifle taken care of.This will be for play time more than serious hunting.
Hey we have plenty of long range places to shoot around here.One guy has a place to shoot half mile shots
He builds the rifles here in town.I don't have money for his stuff

I read somewhere that here ('Merica) the tendency is to spend considerably less on glass ($300 glass, $1,500 rifle) than the firearm, while across the pond the opposite is generally true ($1000 / $300).

It seems I read that statement at least a decade ago, and while I don't know if it's valid or not, remembering it got me thinking - Modern manufacturing can now produce a $350-out-BiMart's-door rifle that'll do/near MOA. Has scope manufacturing matched firearm improvements? If not to the same extent, should the scope budget represent a larger portion of the pie?

I understand that the needs of a hunter taking a 100yrd shot might easily be met with $150 kit, and why-pay-more makes sense, but as one plays out past 800 (all) subtleties start to grow exponentially.

I have $230 Vortex glass on my American, $400 SWFA on my 10fcp - that $170 difference is easily distinguishable. That said, I've read enough to believe that the Vortex is a good value, and the SWFA is an exceptional one.

I've deliberately made efforts to not experience Nightforce/Valdada/etc, for fear that it would, actual or perceived, ruin my pedestrian scope experience.

Maybe I should change my thinking...

Man o man,I just went over to long range hunting forum.Guy asked WTB between Leupold VX4s and NF
WOW. Basically the answer is so many like each that it comes down to what cool aid you drink.
Some said there is no difference so why pay 1k more,others say,'you fool,you have no idea what good glass is,NF is in a different league'
So that debate comes down to what you want to spend and who you will be shooting with (ultra cool dudes or not). And I won't argue cause I have never owned a NF or a luppy VX4
But what I have learned over the years is if a guy spends the 20% more on any product that the next best brand,he LOVES it and there is no better.Otherwise he wouldn't have bought it.
The other thing I learned today on LRH forum is there are 2 guys on there that will talk Vortex but didn't get any replies.Apparently in the LRH society ,Vortex are not to be spoken of?

Tell you what BR,Getting older the better glass really makes a difference.I see all the distortion around the edges of the cheaper glass.Bothers the heck out of me.Eye relief seems simpler on my VX3.
I can't always afford the more glass money than gun ratio,but then I usually end up with that scope on a 22lr

190 300 winmag is not the best example for the caliber. Berger 230 hybrid for the 300 win mag can pretty much match a 338 Lapua. The ammo will be pricey but with the 230 you'll be able to take down big game and exceed a 7MM.

It depends on distance, at longer ranges the 7mm stays supersonic longer than the 300 and also has more energy. The 7mm also has less recoil. There is a good video on this in Sniper 101.

The 280 AI is only a hundred fps slower than the 7mm Rem Mag, has a lot less recoil and is far gentler to the barrel. I'd pick it over the 7mm RM or 300 WM any day of the week.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top