JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Berger makes some nice bullets.
Some of their .30 have significantly higher BC's than their 7mm offerings.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/all-bullets/

I heard that a SA company makes some 190gr .30 slugs with a BC of very close to 1

True for target/match bullets but for their hunting bullets, this is a hunting rifle we are talking about, the 7mm win out. However Noslers Accubond Long Range offers a 30 cal 210gr with a BC of .730. The best 7mm ABLR is a 175gr .672. I can't run the numbers so I can't tell if the BC difference is going to make up for the 175's higher velocity.

True for target/match bullets but for their hunting bullets, this is a hunting rifle we are talking about, the 7mm win out. However Noslers Accubond Long Range offers a 30 cal 210gr with a BC of .730. The best 7mm ABLR is a 175gr .672. I can't run the numbers so I can't tell if the BC difference is going to make up for the 175's higher velocity.
I hear ya. I remember Jack O'Connor favoring the .270 with flat base 130's for pretty much all his big game hunting. lol

What is strange to me is how we, as hunters and shooters, chase our tails to find the perfect rifles, cartridges, bullets, scopes etc. We spend tons of money and time to get things just right. And after all is said and done, you can still make a strong case for using a rifle design that is over 100 years old, chambered in a cartridge that is over 100 years old, slinging a bullet design that is nearly 70 years old that is stomped on a charge of some sort of 4350 or 4831.

I hate to say it, but we'd also pot all huntable game with a Belgian BLR .243 and an original Armalite .223.
gotter done anyway pretty as you please.. though I'd generally use an old fashioned handgun. anyway it's late

Between 7 MM Remington Magnum and 300 Winchester Magnum only, I think bigger is better. I have a Model 70 in 7 MM Rem Mag and it shoots farther than I can. If I had to go further it would be the 300 WM,

Further yet 338 Lapua, smaller but still good for long range a 6.5 Creedmoor

Uhm,I bought it because it came with that stock. I ordered 'new' so I could have ordered any rifle
The shop had an extreme weather? something 700 with a light stock and a coated stainless barrel,but it had ,what I think is a cheap synthetic stock.It is a regular sythetic with those 'overmold' inserts
Another shop had it on the wall but didn't want to trade .But it is exactly what I would want to put together for this gun I had in mind
A little heavy? Yes,but I will make adjustments in how I use the gun. May be a spot on the quads and send a long way,instead of spot and stock,lol
Hey thanks for the replies guys
Mike

Sad point but A kid supposedly got 'lost' up here. 2yo boy.Circumstances and what some rescue /search people say it sounds fishy.
One searcher was about a mile away and decided he was very close to a wolf den when he was surounded by pups and mom was a little closer to his quad than he wanted her to be.
I was told I'd probably never see one.Maybe that was an ignorant statement?
Could be I'll have some use for this after all

I think you'll really like the new LR. couple of my friends have them and out of the box with hand loads they are real shooters, 1,000 yd no sweat on a small rectangle gong. And up close they are super shooters. I have a stainless 7mm mag sendero.I like the rifle, but changed stocks, went to the M40 style, that is just like the LR stock. Better stock for me, the sendero made me search for the scope, not enough comb height plus it was too long. Now, its just right, oh, 5 shoots 3/4'' @100yds with the right load.

I've looked some and want to wait till I can afford a nice scope.I would have to wait some time to afford the nightforce I want but between Vortex and Leopold,I can find something that will be just fine.
I am going with at least a 20moa base.I don't know that I need more at first.Heck I can afford more later if needed.Just want to buy once cry once on the scope.
I have a nice VXIII on my $400 gun show M70 so I know I like those
6.5-20? -24? I'll do 30mm tube but I see some around what I'm thinking price wise with 34mm.That would give me plenty of adjustment
I'm thinking around the $1000 range,maybe 1200

My 74 model 70 has a vintage Leopold 3 x 9 with old style crosshair reticle with a nifty Conetrol mount that has the scope al low as it can reasonably go to the action. Not ideal setup and equipment, but good. I would like a little more scope, but this is all I really need.

I was thinking the 416 chey tac but don't have a spare 30k to build one

I have seen 416 builds for under 10k. the problem always is shooting it. you almost need to be a 1%ter.
Still, if I had the scratch to buy the rifle, glass and 500 rounds of ammo, I might just do it, Even though 338 LM can get ya close.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top