Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

loading up my 300 rum and shooting a 220 round nose question

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by BFR45/70, Sep 12, 2014.

1. BFR45/70

BFR45/70 Clackamas Active Member

Hello
    I loaded some rounds for elk hunting , my book shows IMR 4350 at 67gr for a 220 gr round nose.
    I have loaded up a box but then was reading and many say the IMR is not a good powder for the rum .
    My question is does anyone or has anyone loaded up rounds for there rum using it and how did it do.

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Well what can I say? People say lots of things for lots of reasons.. what was the question? Oh, enough slappy times.. if it's in a standard reloading manual, that'd probably be good.

3. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I have a buddy who uses imr for his 300 rum..no issues to report

4. scrub buck

scrub buck pa Member

I think you'll be much MUCH better off with Retumbo, H1000, or H870 .

JB11rx likes this.
  5. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

My question would be: why use round noses in a RUM?

6. scrub buck

scrub buck pa Member

+1

7. VONBOYD

VONBOYD Portland, OR Member

I'm working with a friend helping him build some accuracy loads for his .338RUM, IMR4831, RL22 is what we're using with good results. Buying quality bullets is a must but then A bedded action, free floating barrel and a trigger you can adjust down to 2.5 pounds is an absolute necessity. You must have a scope where you can adjust for zero parallex per each yardage. Standard deviation is important. Try to stay less than 25fps for standard deviation. Record all your data. Analyze all your data. The more you're involved the better results you'll get.

8. VONBOYD

VONBOYD Portland, OR Member

Our best results so far has been a 225gr Hornady at 2950-3000fps resulting in .875 groups. You stated you have a .300RUM. I'll figure your bullet selection and fps is considerably lower.