Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Llama 380 grip replacement? who make quality

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by jluck, Apr 1, 2013.

1. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

After a twenty year wait I finally got my old Llama 380 back on Easter Sunday... The pistol is is good overall condition still except the grips. I have looked around online and all I have found look like cheap crap, Does anyone have suggestions on where to get quality replacements? I currently have the black plastic ones but might consider other styles.
    (I know there are Llama lovers out there)
    TIA

2. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Don't know how much hand work you like to do but if I had a pistol that needed some special grips I'd be inclined to make my own.

Get some nice dense hardwood and if you don't have a band saw, have a local woodworking shop cut off some strips just a little thicker and wider than what the finished grips will be. Then carve, plane, sand, etc, until they're exactly what you want.

Take a look at Western Mahogany. Great color and grain appearance. It's among the four densest hardwoods there are. Up with Ebony, Lignum Vitae, and Desert Ironwood.

I like doing work like this myself because I usually end up with something that not only fits what I want more exactly, I can stand back and admire the results of my own labors.

3. jluck

I considered this. I have made grips in the past but on this gun I just want to return it back to original (or close).

4. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Most of the original Llama grips I have seen would fit in the "cheesy" category. Kind of a throwback to the early days of plastic/bakelite. If you want "original" have you checked Numrich??

5. jluck

I did, Sold out. Thanks for the idea though.

6. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hey jluck,
    Have you check out Jacks Frist? Here is there number 605-343-9544 open 9am - 6pm Mt time.
    Hope this may help,
    Tony Portland, Oregon Area

7. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter