JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Definitely limit myself when it comes to the firearms I collect and shoot. If I was overly rich I might not limit myself as much. I love old pre WWI era single shot rifles to shoot and collect. But if I left it at that, and didn't keep it to a narrow group of a few variations, I'd have a nice variety, but miss out on some key models or variations within certain brands.
So my limit is the 1875-1891 Marlin Ballard rifles, the Remington Rolling Blocks from 1860's to WWI era, but only Sporting models, and the Remington Hepburn rifles of 1879 to WWI era. I own and shoot all of these, and still have a few holes among my collection because some can be well above what I'm willing to pay.
I love old single shot schuetzen rifles in these brands, so the majority are those rifles. But I also love Long-Range rifles, so I have a lot of those also that I enjoy collecting, and shooting out to 1000 yds.
I have other various rifles, and handguns that have some sentimental value, or I just enjoy to shoot, or own. But I try to limit myself to my small area of collecting and shooting interests, so I don't spread myself too thin.

YwbV8FJl.jpg

Last Edited:
Gosh, glad to know I'm not the only one!

I get the sentiment Andy. I basically rent firearms. It's my way of having something new to mess around with. Firearms filled an itch for me, though the itch was scratched thoroughly by prior things, it is the current thing that I enjoy for killing time. Prior things were cars, RC cars, drones (early drones before they got to what they are now). P point being, I owned these things to keep busy with. I enjoy having things to do and mess around with or take apart, guns work well for that.

Supporting the second amendment and feeling American helps with the reasons I do what I do.

That and up till recently guns were decent investments, I've sold guns that I've held onto for 5-10 years sell for at least double what I paid.

I try to accept that gun owners own guns for a broad amount of reasons.
I've switched from firearms to RC trucks and drones. :D

I've switched from firearms to RC trucks and drones. :D
I used to race RC back in NV. I miss it. There isn't much in our area which I find very odd considering the vast open properties everywhere. The runway off 26 is great for the flying stuff though. Still have a few I mess around with once in a while, but racing is so much more enjoyable. The electronics these days far supersedes what I started with, winding my own motors and nicads!

I used to race RC back in NV. I miss it. There isn't much in our area which I find very odd considering the vast open properties everywhere. The runway off 26 is great for the flying stuff though. Still have a few I mess around with once in a while, but racing is so much more enjoyable. The electronics these days far supersedes what I started with, winding my own motors and nicads!
I think it's much easier now. I take my trucks to the local parks and I just got my drone and have only flown it once but the video footage is amazing! It's pretty much crash-proof too. :D

What did you race? Before getting into firearms, RC cars (onroad carpet mainly) was my 'hobby' of choice.

What did you race? Before getting into firearms, RC cars (onroad carpet mainly) was my 'hobby' of choice.
There were 3-4 tracks in NV. I raced gas 1/8th buggy, 1/8 gas monster truck (revo), 1/10 short coarse, just started getting into 1/10 4x4 buggy before moving. Get to OR and the nearest track is Eugene I think. I think there is an indoor track in Portland, but that requires going to Portland. I was really good with the 1/10 short coarse trucks. That was hugely popular in Reno back then. 4x4 and 2x4 buggy was gaining traction due to lipos getting better and smaller. Dipped briefly into crawlers too. Too slow, but now that I'm older I wish I kept the rig I put together, it would be great for camping trips out in the PNW. Even tried 1/5th scale, that was huge!

I usually just take the gas Revo I still have out on occasion to piss off the neighbors. Otherwise my drifter is my favorite, a few battery packs and a lawn chair is all I need. Maybe an iced tea. Chalk out some turns and drift (or go to that box in my head that's empty).

I think it's much easier now. I take my trucks to the local parks and I just got my drone and have only flown it once but the video footage is amazing! It's pretty much crash-proof too. :D
What trucks you get? I'm not sure what's new but I sort of keep an eye on Traxxas and I'm always impressed with their newer stuff.

What trucks you get? I'm not sure what's new but I sort of keep an eye on Traxxas and I'm always impressed with their newer stuff.
I have a collection going :D

Traxxas Sledge
Traxxas Maxx
Arrma Talion (wife's)
Arrma Vorteks (backup)

I traded a different RC truck (Xmaxx) for my drone a couple weeks ago. Got a DJI Mavic 2 Pro. The XMaxx was honestly too big for most of the parks and tracks I go to so it was just sitting. :)

There were 3-4 tracks in NV. I raced gas 1/8th buggy, 1/8 gas monster truck (revo), 1/10 short coarse, just started getting into 1/10 4x4 buggy before moving. Get to OR and the nearest track is Eugene I think. I think there is an indoor track in Portland, but that requires going to Portland. I was really good with the 1/10 short coarse trucks. That was hugely popular in Reno back then. 4x4 and 2x4 buggy was gaining traction due to lipos getting better and smaller. Dipped briefly into crawlers too. Too slow, but now that I'm older I wish I kept the rig I put together, it would be great for camping trips out in the PNW. Even tried 1/5th scale, that was huge!

I usually just take the gas Revo I still have out on occasion to piss off the neighbors. Otherwise my drifter is my favorite, a few battery packs and a lawn chair is all I need. Maybe an iced tea. Chalk out some turns and drift (or go to that box in my head that's empty).
You are correct, there is an indoor carpet track in Portland, but as you said.....its in Portland.

I dipped my toe into the offroad scene some back in Indiana when I lived there, mainly 1/10th 4x4 buggy. Those were a blast to race, but never did get too serious into offroad. Was WAY into the carpet onroad scene, something about the precision the 1/12th scales and 1/10th scale TC required got me hooked (might explain my deep interest with Precision Rifles now). Traveled from Indiana to Florida, Las Vegas , and many points between to race them. Even lucked into a few ROAR A-main appearances. We will have to talk more RC cars next time at Tri County.

Traxxas Sledge
Traxxas Maxx
Arrma Talion
Arrma Vorteks

I traded a different RC truck for my drone a couple weeks ago. Got a DJI Mavic 2 Pro. :)
They are highly addictive. It's really enjoyable to get huge air and not break them, but at the same time when they break it's something to take apart and fix that ain't a 2k swing arm, tire and rim, from getting too close to the curb!

Old pics but this was some of the electric racers and the beast!

3F1AB0FA-2997-484B-9504-B0B156CF8B36.jpeg CBAF51A3-58FF-46E1-B8AC-C42EA4A8D5DF.jpeg 829D6D6D-404E-4866-AD8B-29C49ED99DCC.jpeg FBC32D09-EC5A-4E2A-895C-9F6EB7C9FC79.jpeg 3D40D6FB-FDAF-42E1-829D-764ACE8CE384.jpeg

The just for fun ones. Back then a lot of conversion kits started popping up to convert gas to electric. That or I just made one like the polka dot one which is a gas Traxxas Jato converted to electric. The sand buggy started gas too.

E2B40695-485B-4F9A-9B20-18297B2C11AE.jpeg 1ACCFB12-23B9-499F-9722-5109080B8E51.jpeg C81963C5-22D2-40D0-9224-8AD74CD3119D.jpeg CCDB9576-5961-4C22-8403-6DD2AAF7B97F.jpeg CB2A50D0-462C-4F10-8168-6FBDD70976D0.jpeg

Traxxas Sledge
Traxxas Maxx
Arrma Talion (wife's)
Arrma Vorteks (backup)

I traded a different RC truck (Xmaxx) for my drone a couple weeks ago. Got a DJI Mavic 2 Pro. The XMaxx was honestly too big for most of the parks and tracks I go to so it was just sitting. :)
Drones these days are nuts. They basically fly themselves. Not like the old days when we were just figuring out circuits to get the motors to differentiate. I was shocked after 10 years of absence, flying one again. Tried stunt copters once. That was an interesting 5 minutes. Up, flip, destroyed.

Drones these days are nuts. They basically fly themselves. Not like the old days when we were just figuring out circuits to get the motors to differentiate. I was shocked after 10 years of absence, flying one again. Tried stunt copters once. That was an interesting 5 minutes. Up, flip, destroyed.
I fly planes, and then on the trainer, I can't fly the helo.

I fly planes, and then on the trainer, I can't fly the helo.
I spent months on the trainer. I thought I was good to go. Then I flipped the switch to 3d and my god! Being fixed at 80% is stupid. I don't think I ever went over 40% throttle before hitting the switch thinking I was "ready". Ive thought about trying again, watching those that are good at 3d is an amazing spectacle.

09C9BE71-639E-48A5-964B-A46D51B62453.jpeg

Limiting yourself.

What I mean by this is , to limit yourself to what and why you own and do things with firearms...
Can lead to a limited appreciation and understanding of firearms.

Which of course , could be seen as ironic , coming from a guy who is known for his love of traditional muzzle loading firearms. :D
However...
I have owned and shot many different types of firearms. Which has helped shape my liking for certain firearms and for my use of firearms.

The reasons why people own firearms are probably as least as different as there are different types of firearms.
The "why" behind why I own firearms is varied.
Some of the "whys" are :
Family guns...mine from my youth or those of my Dad and Grandpa.
Some firearms are owned for historic reasons....I like history ...having a firearm that is from the time periods that I am into , is important to me.
A few are for hunting uses....they are useful for how I shoot and the game that I hunt.
All are owned because I have fun shooting them or maintaining them...as well as taking pride in the ownership of them.

Reading the 2nd Amendment shows that one does not need to have a reason to own firearms...
Nor does it state that one can only have certain firearms , or that one can own firearms only for specific purposes.

I think the above is very important because many folks seem to be all wrapped in only owning firearms for one or two very specific reasons.
Reasons like hunting or defense.
And while both are very important things to consider. and are reasons to own firearms...
Both can also lead to a limited viewpoint of firearms and firearm ownership...if either one of those are the sole , single reason one owns firearms.

Now none of the above is to read that ....
One must do as Andy does...
Or that any one particular reason is not enough to own firearms.

I am just trying to say that one may want to not get all "stuck" on just one aspect of firearms and firearm ownership.
And would suggest that one try to look at both , as their whole selves so to speak , and not just for one thing that they may be useful for.
Andy
It's really easy as a newer firearm enthusiasts to get side tracked, but having an open mind and experiencing new tools and uses has been the best part.

Sage advice sir, thank you for the perspective.

I am hoping I found my limit. I can see how hoarders can get in trouble in a hurry. I would say the average price range I have paid for firearms is around $200 to $500. My safe space to store them is busting at the seems with the firearms, accessories, ammo, etc. I can imagine how much worse the problem could have been if the items I were hoarding were in the $20 to $50 range but took up a similar amount of space.

I think I have hit my limit based on budget concerns, changing priorities and especially due to lack of storage space.

As far RC cars, does anybody still use old school RC10T3 trucks these days?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top