JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few days ago I was driving home from a park after taking my pup for a long enjoyable walk. As I neared a neighborhood intersection my attention went to what I thought was a little cat. After a closer look, it turned out to be a small chunky little dog walking towards the intersection with no collar and no human around. My dog-dad ears went up.

I immediately pulled into a nearby house's driveway, went over to the little pup and she came right over. Scooping her up I looked around, and still no other human.

Putting her in the back seat, my pup joined her and gave a friendly welcome. We drove home uneventfully, wherein I showed off our new guest to my wife. Both of us immediately went into action, posting Lost community notices on social media. We got our mother-in-law involved who informed us that her elderly neighbor would love to have a small female house dog if we can't find the owner.

I took her to the local vet/petco who scanned her for a chip..free of charge. No chip :( I asked what they thought her age was..and they said around 2ish.

That day was spent letting her roam the house, getting water, eating, going potty in the back yard. She was a real joy..very cute..tiny really..and very friendly. Our own dog was very protective, getting up twice in the middle of the night to check on her in the little basket/blanky we set up as her bed.

No responses came that first day. Now we were in a pickle. It's expensive to start out with a dog when you don't know its history. Spay, shots, flea treatment, chipping, food etc. I personally was on the fence whether to keep her in our family or give her to our mother-in-laws neighbor..who is very elderly and never leaves the house.

But then later in the morning of the second day, the owner responded. It was an exact match. She (the owner), had started to give her dog (Lilly) a bath, and it somehow got out. She had already taken her collar off.

She (the owner) apologized about not chipping her, promised to do so right away, and was given our address. Lilly by the way is an 11 year old pomeranian/chihuahua mix.

Her and her husband or boyfriend arrived soon after and had a wonderful reunion. All was well in the world. I guess good things do still happen in these crazy times.

Lilly on the left, my pup on the right.
20240419_153510.jpg

A few days ago I was driving home from a park after taking my pup for a long enjoyable walk. As I neared a neighborhood intersection my attention went to what I thought was a little cat. After a closer look, it turned out to be a small chunky little dog walking towards the intersection with no collar and no human around. My dog-dad ears went up.

I immediately pulled into a nearby house's driveway, went over to the little pup and she came right over. Scooping her up I looked around, and still no other human.

Putting her in the back seat, my pup joined her and gave a friendly welcome. We drove home uneventfully, wherein I showed off our new guest to my wife. Both of us immediately went into action, posting Lost community notices on social media. We got our mother-in-law involved who informed us that her elderly neighbor would love to have a small female house dog if we can't find the owner.

I took her to the local vet/petco who scanned her for a chip..free of charge. No chip :( I asked what they thought her age was..and they said around 2ish.

That day was spent letting her roam the house, getting water, eating, going potty in the back yard. She was a real joy..very cute..tiny really..and very friendly. Our own dog was very protective, getting up twice in the middle of the night to check on her in the little basket/blanky we set up as her bed.

No responses came that first day. Now we were in a pickle. It's expensive to start out with a dog when you don't know its history. Spay, shots, flea treatment, chipping, food etc. I personally was on the fence whether to keep her in our family or give her to our mother-in-laws neighbor..who is very elderly and never leaves the house.

But then later in the morning of the second day, the owner responded. It was an exact match. She (the owner), had started to give her dog (Lilly) a bath, and it somehow got out. She had already taken her collar off.

She (the owner) apologized about not chipping her, promised to do so right away, and was given our address. Lilly by the way is an 11 year old pomeranian/chihuahua mix.

Her and her husband or boyfriend arrived soon after and had a wonderful reunion. All was well in the world. I guess good things do still happen in these crazy times.

View attachment 1867817
What a happy ending. Nice to know there are still some folks out there that really do care.

Glad there was a happy ending for Lilly! But...

Pretty big age gap there. I could tell by the pic she wasn't no 2ish! 🙄
Yeah exactly. My wife and I both guessed 8-10. The girl at the vet looked at her teeth and said, oh not too old, maybe two.

Lilly took care of her teeth well I spose..lol. Also, her nails were way in need of clipping..like..leather puncturing need.

I can attest to elders and dogs. My mother is 89 and she also has a Lilly. Who is probably at least 15, by now. But, she brings a ton of companionship, eventhough family members are there physically almost everyday.

Older dogs are probably a good match as well. That way both pairs have seen enough in their time and are happy enough not to get evolved in our madness.

A couple weeks ago my kids and I came home to find an energetic little Yorkie in the driveway. She was friendly as could be, bouncing from one kid to another for attention. We didn't recognize her as belonging to any of the neighbors (who weren't home), and we couldn't leave her out there to roam in the road, so after waiting a little while to see if anyone would come along looking for her, we brought her in.

All she had for ID was a vaccination tag from a local vet, but it was after hours. I called the local PD to see if they had any suggestions as to what to do. A young officer came by with a chip reader, and after some sleuthing determined that she belonged to our next door neighbor! The neighbor had only recently inherited her and we just hadn't seen her yet. The officer was really nice, obviously a dog lover himself.

We watched her until the neighbor came home, and again all the next week as the neighbor had to take her husband in for cancer treatments. My kids loved her, and our dog got along well too, aside from the obvious jealousy at times.

The neighbor hinted that the little dog could become a permanent part of our household if we wanted, but with a house full of kids, a dog and cat already, another canine would just be too much, and to be honest I'm really not a dog person, though I can appreciate what great companions they are.

It's funny how different dogs are, different personalities. My daughter's border-collie mix is super polite. When you give him a treat, he will very carefully and gently take it from your hand. The neighbor's Yorkie is super happy and friendly, but when you give her a treat, you have to be careful that she doesn't take a couple fingers along with it! :)

View attachment 1867817
I hope this scared the owner enough to go get a chip for her dog. She got VERY lucky this time. When we get a new dog first vet visit is a chip. Even put one in our Macaw.

A cat showed up at our house, which is not unusual. We had 8 at the time and all showed up at our door. They didn't care for him, so it lived on our porch in one of the insulated cat condos, one heated, during the winter. We fed him and he stuck around. He was very friendly and beautifully marked.

We posted on the local website for lost and found and a week or so later got a response from another neighbor. He belonged to one of their sons, young teen, and you have never seen a more happy reunion. The cat had been missing for more than 2 months and was probably living with the barn cats next door.

He is now a house cat and rarely leaves the boy's bedroom.

The reunion was worth the effort that we put in to find its home. No one claimed the eight cats we had at the time - recently lost two.

We haven't adopted or bought a cat since we moved out in the country and haven taken care of several dozen that showed up at our door. We also used to volunteer for the Feral Cat Coalition when they used to come out to St. Helens for spay and neuter.

If I had kids I would chip them.
Yup, you and thousands of leftards on Facebook. That was a popular notion for a while, IIRC, and many of the people who unfriended me for voting for Trump were insistent that it should be LAW that kids get chipped.
Then again, some of the younger generations that I work with would probably not mind being chipped, when you consider how happy they are that they are tracked by all their social apps.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top