JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've finally got my Bug Out Bag where I want it for the most part. Currently I've got a 8x12 tarp in it to make some sort of shelter. I'm starting to think I'd be better served with a light weight tent though. Something that could fit 2 people, and won't break the bank (like less than $100). Any recommendations?

Eureka makes some decent 2-3 season models that are lightweight. As always look for sales and clearance items. Be sure to use a tarp or the proper "footprint" underneath, keeps tent clean and floor intact.
If you are over the age of 10 it is certainly time for a real tent, take it from someone who has built many a "custom" shelter.

Here's something that doesn't fit your bill but you may consider,
Six moon designs skyscape scout, $125. 34 ounces I believe. Requires 2 hiking poles or 2 fiberglass rods. Its a one man tent but I would have no problem fitting my wife and myself and we wouldn't be touching the walls. They also have 2 other models but the price doubles as the weight halves. For super light you may consider a Gatewood cape. 11 ounces $135.00. Also considered a one man but will fit 2 in a pinch. Bonus is its also a poncho.
http://www.hikelight.com/six-moon-designs-gatewood-cape.html

I have 5 single man tents that weigh less than a pound a piece. They fold into a spring loaded 1 foot circle and slip into a pouch. Throw it and the tent is up. Coyote tan. I will go digging in my tough box to find a brand. I can actually probably part with one...

My solution to this problem is the old fashioned poncho. I bought 2 new ones and a hooded liner from Wiggys.com The poncho serves as rain gear, camo, shelter; and when combined with the liner makes a good lightweight sleeping bag. The two ponchos are pretty light weight: 1 is shelter the second is sleeping bag. Multipurpose, well made gear.

In my opinion if you are dead set on spending a $100.00 or less for new well unless you come across one heck of deal, there is a good chance you will regret your purchase if shtf. a two person tent well while cozy in my opinion is a mistake, i would suggest two Bivy sacks as such Outdoor Research Highland Bivy Sack - Free Shipping at REI.com a bivy sack will give you an extra 10 -15 degree of warmth in foul weather and in warm weather you can sleep in and keep out the rain, bugs, mice and snakes. Also should you and your spouse get seperated and you both are carrying your own packs, then you both have your individual sleep system.

If you look around you may be able to find some new miltary issue bivy sacks that come in camo pattern, if not I recommend, one use of the following colors green, brown, tan or black this should be based your terrain or expected terrain. for stealth camping

Next what you do is go a hous construction site and talk to the guys putting up the siding and see if you can get a piece of Tyvek from them large enough to cut out a couple of footprints for your bivy sacks, the tyvet does an excellent job of protecting the bottom of your bivy sack from stick,stones, roots etc.. and little left over. the over piece shoud be around 15 in 15 in or thereabouts, carry these where they can be easily gotten to, while bugging out on foot, they come in handy as seats when the ground is muddy or wet.

Buy a couple of camo poncho's, they are dual purpose, you can wear them in foul weather, use as a wind break in cold weather and with your bivy sack, you can make pup tent or fashion on different manners to cover the bivy sack this way you can get in and out of the bivy sack without getting wet or getting foul weather inside of it when opened up.

By the ponco being camo ( be sure to get camo pattern that best imitates your terrain) it will help conceal you while sleeping from roving parties, that is of course if you are well off a trail, and take care to make sure other do not see you entering in to your camp and have a cold camp (cold camp means no fire)

Just my opinion as an accomplished Appalachian trail thru hiker and an ex-soldier

+1 on the bivy sleep systems.

The ones I have are Catona bednets. Made to fit over a mil spec cot or right on the ground. I would put several together and throw a tarp to prevent water coming in. At 30oz a piece, you cant beat the weight.

In a BOB situation, flexibility will be high on the list of "must-haves".
I like the MILSURP goretex bivy I bought online for $30. It is camouflaged, durable, small, lightweight, can be used with bags/blankets, cheap, low profile, snaps and zipper (stealth and temperature control), allows you to engage threats quicker than from a tent, faster to set up and easier to dry if needed.
That said, I would REALLY like a roof over my head when it is pouring rain.
In the end, it is what works for you and yours for the situations YOU want to be prepared for. Everything else is just hot air!

USGI Utility Net / Hammock
USGI Poncho
USGI Poncho Liner
USGI Casualty Blanket

Average ~$20 per piece shipped (I got them NEW/cheaper tho)

Hot / Dry / Light / Fast / Comfey - Off the ground.

Multifunction - Ghilly Camo, Sniper tarp, Rain and cold gear etc.

Lightweight tents... there's a loaded topic right there.

Fact of the matter is, there are really few good options for every situation, which is part of the reason there are so many different solutions to this problem. My personal favorites are a tyvek tube tent/bivvy sack, or if the weather is wet/cold planning to take a larger dome tent.

The thing I find if it's dry/cold I want a bivvy bag, I'm not worried about my gear or myself being soaked, so I can crawl into my warm sleeping bag, if there's dew/frost/snow the bivvy is going to keep these off me while sleeping. For hotter climates, hammocks are the way to go, keep you off the ground, if it's wet they keep you dry, if it's dry they let air pass and keep you cool. If it's wet/cold I want the bigger tent, this is mainly because this gives me a place where I can take off my clothes, I can give my gear a chance to get dry, along with my body and clothes. Running around all the time wet and cold is a good way for all kinds of maladies to take hold like trench foot, not to mention if you're cold and wet that's a recipe for hypothermia.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top