JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Although what you say is possible, Fort Knox, just like many other manufacturers also sells an economy line of safes. These are not built anywhere near as tough as their most expensive safes are. I own a couple of AMSEC BF Series gun safes & they are built in the US, but you won't find them for $500.
Honestly I see quite a few break-ins and I have seen very few burglars yet with the knowledge to open a safe. Most will leave the safe alone a couple may bash off the dial or opening lever(which only makes it harder to get into). I was in a guy's home last week who spent some time affixing his Sentry safe to the floor. He couldn't believe it when I told him a crook could open it in 10 minutes with a screwdriver & a hammer. He insisted that his Sentry safe was made from steel and stuck it with a magnet to prove that to me. I let him know that a Sentry document safe is made for just that, keeping your papers from burning in case of fire
and it would be easy to pry it off the floor+ take it along with other valuables.

I recently bought a used AMSEC BF6636 series safe from a guy on Craigslist for $550. Weighs around 500 pounds. I'm really happy with it.

So I just picked up tracker T24 because I got a great price and it was a good safe.
Only thing i don't like is having to keep it in the garage.
I have a window in my garage for whatever reason. Makes me really nervous. So I need to find some way to secure that window with some bars or something.

I could put it in my closet but it would take up a lot of room.

You don't need bars to deter the average crook, and I wouldn't put 'em on the outside in any case, for fear of attracting attention.

Inside my shed, behind the miniblinds, I have "remesh sheet" bolted to the frame with lags. It would take bolt cutters or a saw to get past it, which would take time. No clue to its presence is visible from the outside.

All our security features can do is buy us time, after all, not invulnerability.

I agree, I meant for the inside. All the bars I have built for my garages go over the window jam on the inside and then have a curtain between them and the window so you cant see them from the outside. More than anything I just think bars on the outside of a window look tacky

Yes I would agree with you.
That was the plan to fortify the inside. Luckily the window is really open to my next door neighbor who is home a lot so I know he would keep an eye on it.
And most of my neighbors are older and retired.

All our security features can do is buy us time, after all, not invulnerability.

A very wise statement. Any safe can be opened by a thief with enough motivation and knowledge. What you're doing in buying time. If the bad guys know there's a home alarm system, they will usually find someone easier to rob. We have video surveillance and a monitored alarm with signs stating so....and a very large, very heavy safe that's bolted to the floor joists. When the alarm goes off, it's deafening....scares the s#!t out of me and I know what it sounds like. I'm pretty comfortable......

I would highly suggest any safe be bolted down, even if it's to heavy to steal, A holes in our area have been known to tip over safes, door down just because they are pissed they couldn't snatch and grab the guns. I used through bolts and went all the way through the floor with huge flat washers, on both my safes. And any safe is better than no safe. Most thieves are interested in grabbing what they can and getting out, not safe busting, tweekers are to lazy to spend time, trying to get into a safe.

I read somebody's sad account of returning home to find a bunch of PVC pipes littering his driveway, and going inside to discover his huge safe was gone. It must have been tipped onto the pipes and rolled to what was probably a lift-gate truck to take it away.

Lag bolts into joists are better than nothing, but many prefer bolting into concrete with Redheads. That's why safes often end up in the garage - which is why fireproofing is so important.

Our Liberty FatBoy Jr.'s seem like a lot of safe for the money. We've been very happy with them.

As far as security goes, if anyone really wants in, they'll get in, but if they don't believe they can get in, then most likely they won't even try. The best security measures are the ones that are obvious. Security signs in the yard, bars on the windows, good fences. These things won't keep people out so much as keep them from trying to get in. Create the illusion of a secure house and most thieves will move along to an easier mark.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top