JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to get a gun safe for long guns. Don't really need one for handguns as I have several of the small GunVaults. Would like to get something in the 20-gun range.

Leaning towards a Liberty Revere 20, though at about $1,000 that's the top end of what I'd like to spend. (NWFA sponsor: Liberty Safe Revere Safes - Upgraded Protection )

I saw Tracker Safe at the PDX gun show...but have never heard of them and the fact they're 30-40% cheaper makes me nervous. But I really don't a lot about safes.

Anyone care to offer any advice?

I recently bought a trapper safe at their store on 63rd n Andreson. I got a very nice 24 gun,great fire rating w/digi combo for $550. Great customer service n quality safes. I will b recommending them to all my friends. Overall awesome experience

All of the Tracker Safes are made in China. This doesn't mean they are bad quality, but just so you know where it is coming from.

Most of the Liberty safes are made in USA, even the cheap ones they sell at Lowes (Centurion). Their steel is sourced from a mill out of Nevada.

Looking to get a gun safe for long guns. Don't really need one for handguns as I have several of the small GunVaults. Would like to get something in the 20-gun range.

Leaning towards a Liberty Revere 20, though at about $1,000 that's the top end of what I'd like to spend. (NWFA sponsor: Liberty Safe Revere Safes - Upgraded Protection )

I saw Tracker Safe at the PDX gun show...but have never heard of them and the fact they're 30-40% cheaper makes me nervous. But I really don't a lot about safes.

Anyone care to offer any advice?

Call mountain view safe company. Located just east of Gresham, and much cheaper than anywhere else I've ever found. I bought there 39 gun safe a few years back and it's everything I could have asked for. He's about 1/3 the price of anywhere else I've ever seen and it's the standard 1/4" plate steel door. BTW, that video was very informational.

That video is worth watching.

Most safes at that price point are rated RSC - residential security containers. Not a commercial grade safe, but will keep kids and unskilled burglars out. Anyone who has a power tool will get in though. To keep serious thieves out requires a TL15 or TL30 safe, which will run many thousands of dollars, unless you get one second hand.

One quick and dirty way to compare safes is by weight. Generally more steel is better, but you'll pay for it. Also, avoid drywall as a fire insulator.

Thickness of bolts often means nothing. Some cheap brands use huge thick bolts on the door where you can see them - take off the interior door cover and you can see they are just for show, with little interior support.

Ar15.com has a great forum on safes at Safes & Home Security - AR15.COM

This is a Browning Prosteel 'safe' (RSC) versus a Sawzall (from http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=621436)

601466_4031612941311_982344817_n.jpg

601466_4031612941311_982344817_n.jpg

After a lot of reading, I decided to swallow my beer money for the next...well, probably year, sell a gun or two, and get one of the better Liberty safes. Probably a Franklin or Lincoln.

I've learned there apparently is no Glock of safes (low-priced but high function). Safes are like scopes - you get what you pay for.

There are better safes - if I had more money, I'd get a Fort Knox, or a Graffunder, or...but that scale never ends. I'm pretty comfortable with the Liberty.

Big jump up in price but as a one-time investment, I think it makes more sense to part with some of the contents to fund better security than to accept something mediocre.

I've learned there apparently is no Glock of safes (low-priced but high function). Safes are like scopes - you get what you pay for.

You really should check out sturdy safes . Sturdysafe.com. I got my 2723 with no fire lining (didn't want it) for around 1400 shipped into my garage. Check out the videos. Most safes are 12 guage steel and their welds can be broken with a sledge. Sturdysafe are made with 7 guage steel unibody construction with solid welds and a 3/8 solid plate steel door (vs the cheap Chinese sandwich doors)

Seriously, invest in something worth while. Check them out.

You know, not to be a contrarian, but I looked in my safe and realized most of my guns are worth well over your ceiling of $1000 for the price of a safe. Really??? Please check out Rogue Safe, down here in Medford. Design exactly what you want, wait while it is built (in the US), give them a lot of money, and they will deliver (even to Portland) an heirloom that will protect your firearms and other valuables, and also leave a gift to future generations. Just sayin.

OK so not trying to jump the gun here but a friend of a friend had his home burn down last week and he had a Liberty safe. I don't know what model but after the fire investigation he was allowed to open it and all his guns are ruined. I will try to update when I get more info.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top