JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You know, not to be a contrarian, but I looked in my safe and realized most of my guns are worth well over your ceiling of $1000 for the price of a safe. Really??? Please check out Rogue Safe, down here in Medford. Design exactly what you want, wait while it is built (in the US), give them a lot of money, and they will deliver (even to Portland) an heirloom that will protect your firearms and other valuables, and also leave a gift to future generations. Just sayin.

+1 <broken link removed> :s0155:

OK so not trying to jump the gun here but a friend of a friend had his home burn down last week and he had a Liberty safe. I don't know what model but after the fire investigation he was allowed to open it and all his guns are ruined. I will try to update when I get more info.

Fire is another issue. Remember this formula: sheetrock (the insulation often used in bargain safes)
+ heat= steam. Do you want to steam your guns like last night's broccoli?

Seconds on Ft Knox
You DO get what you pay for!

Although what you say is possible, Fort Knox, just like many other manufacturers also sells an economy line of safes. These are not built anywhere near as tough as their most expensive safes are. I own a couple of AMSEC BF Series gun safes & they are built in the US, but you won't find them for $500.
Honestly I see quite a few break-ins and I have seen very few burglars yet with the knowledge to open a safe. Most will leave the safe alone a couple may bash off the dial or opening lever(which only makes it harder to get into). I was in a guy's home last week who spent some time affixing his Sentry safe to the floor. He couldn't believe it when I told him a crook could open it in 10 minutes with a screwdriver & a hammer. He insisted that his Sentry safe was made from steel and stuck it with a magnet to prove that to me. I let him know that a Sentry document safe is made for just that, keeping your papers from burning in case of fire
and it would be easy to pry it off the floor+ take it along with other valuables.

I've had both Tracker and Liberty safes. The video referenced above is good reading and something I've reviewed several times over the last couple years.

I liked both of those safe brands for what I was needing. And when I got the first one I had nothing to even store my firearms in -- so it was an improvement. The next one was an improvement to that one, etc.

My opinion is to get the best safe you can, that fits your needs. Either of those safes might do that for you.

(Shameless plug, I'm all but giving away a Fort Knox in the Classifieds -- it's probably too much safe for what you're after, but who knows...)

Fire is another issue. Remember this formula: sheetrock (the insulation often used in bargain safes)
+ heat= steam. Do you want to steam your guns like last night's broccoli?

Actually it's the other barrier material most often used that is a problem it is very much like concrete and will release humidity for years. I like to use a goldenrod in my gunsafes.

Hey Guys,

I know this an old thread but I did a quick google search for Tracker Safes and came across the thread. I ran into Tracker Safes at a gun show in Las Vegas a few weeks back. I gotta say, Tracker Safes are incredible quality and that's not even considering how cheap they are. I bought the Tracker Safe T-45 and love it so far. Tracker will be my go to safe moving forward. I even bought a Tracker Safe for my dad!!

I have owned a Canon safe for well over 25 years. I had to replace the combination lock it came with when it was about five years old. I replaced it with a Sergeant and Greenleaf lock and it has been the perfect safe in my opinion. I am sure there are others just as good, but I can vouch for Canon.

On the subject of fire; there is no such thing as a "fireproof" safe. Given enough time and temperature any safe you have will cook your firearms. The steel will not melt as most steels melt in the 3000 F range and most house fires get up to about 1200 to 1500 degrees. Melting isn't an issue but the temperatures inside the safe will easily destroy your firearms and if you keep ammo in it that will cook off. I have a safe to deter thieves and for safety purposes. I have seen the results of gun safes after fires about dozen times or so (I was an arson investigator in Southern California) and the only thing that will save your weapons in a fire scenario is a quick knockdown by the fire department or building a special room for your safe using X type drywall and a fire rated door assembly. Building a small room in a basement wouldn't be as hard as it sounds.

liberty safe vs axe:
libertyburglary1.jpg

If you have a safe alone, it really doesn't matter what you have. It will be defeated in time. Layer your security. Get at LEAST a cheap security system to go with it and ask yourself how much your guns are worth when putting them inside a 500 dollar safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top