JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Look here at Freedoms rnfp and lack of crimp....... I wouldnt think they'd do much better based on their site pics. I definitely use the cannelure when I load those same ones.

View attachment 841244
Ouch! That's pretty straight walled.
But we know advertisers have put some pretty lame stuff in photos. The infamous backwards bullets.

Looks like Rainier or Berry's (i.e. swaged soft lead) bullets. Not a good lever gun projectile, as a cannelure or heavy crimp can cause the copper plating to separate from the bullet. Any good jacketed bullet with a heavy crimp will be fine.

A taper crimp could also be used to help. I'm putting money on no crimp used or barely taper crimp used. Under recoil, the rounds in the tube hammer on each other. The spring lets up momentarily and then hammers the rounds back into place. This can cause bullets to seat further, and if pointed ammo is used, detonation.

I'll try some other brands and see if anything is different.... with ammo so expensive I don't want to experiment too much!
I went digging into cans and have a bunch of misc and partial boxes of 38 and 357 (factory) if ya want to try a few. Also have a bunch of Hornady critical defense carry ammo that has been rotated out of speed loaders and pistols over the years. If ya make it down here I think you could find out what would work.......
Have a couple boxes (full) of rem. and I think blazer also. I reload so I have plenty around here for me.

This is what happens when Freedoms dies get out of adjustment or they get a batch of brass that is too short to hit the roll crimp in the die.
I see people on reloading boards all the time tell others that they never trim pistol brass. This is one place that comes back to bite them. A good reliable roll crimp requires the brass to be a uniform length. If you adjust your die for the average length the long ones are going to have too much crimp and the short ones too little. DR

This is what happens when Freedoms dies get out of adjustment or they get a batch of brass that is too short to hit the roll crimp in the die.
I see people on reloading boards all the time tell others that they never trim pistol brass. This is one place that comes back to bite them. A good reliable roll crimp requires the brass to be a uniform length. If you adjust your die for the average length the long ones are going to have too much crimp and the short ones too little. DR
So you don't set your .357 roll crimp at .38 special heights like everyone else?

Ouch! That's pretty straight walled.
But we know advertisers have put some pretty lame stuff in photos. The infamous backwards bullets.
I just rechecked their site and they do make a 125 and 158gr fp with a cannelure and one without, wonder if someone grabbed the wrong ones. The OP pic doesnt look like it has it based on their photo of the ones that do. Would like to pull one apart and see because doing a correct crimp as you offered if cannelure is there would sure fix it.

1615485710886.png

I just rechecked their site and they do make a 125 and 158gr fp with a cannelure and one without, wonder if someone grabbed the wrong ones. The OP pic doesnt look like it has it based on their photo of the ones that do. Would like to pull one apart and see because doing a correct crimp as you offered if cannelure is there would sure fix it.

View attachment 841410
That would be interesting to pull one, if @UnionMillsNW and I do connect (or anyone else for that matter), it would be interesting to see what was used.

Good catch @deadeye

I went digging into cans and have a bunch of misc and partial boxes of 38 and 357 (factory) if ya want to try a few. Also have a bunch of Hornady critical defense carry ammo that has been rotated out of speed loaders and pistols over the years. If ya make it down here I think you could find out what would work.......
Have a couple boxes (full) of rem. and I think blazer also. I reload so I have plenty around here for me.

Much appreciated!

That would be interesting to pull one, if @UnionMillsNW and I do connect (or anyone else for that matter), it would be interesting to see what was used.

Good catch @deadeye

I'm interested too. Would love to connect and troubleshoot

A good roll crimp for your reloads is a good thing.
If it's factory ammo.....buy a different brand.

Is your rifle even rated for 10 rounds of .38 special?

*BTW.....I cut my spring just a tad so that I could fit 10 rounds of .38 special in my Marlin 1894 carbine. And IIRC, it was only rated for 9 rounds of .38 special from the factory. AND.....the COAL length of my reloads were extended to 1.50" (in order to get smoother feeding/functioning).

In other words....if you're going to "play".....it may take some "fiddling" to get it all to work smoothly together.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....STOP, STOP, STOP.......

*CORRECTION NEEDED.

My Marlin 1894C was rated for 10 rounds of .38 special. However, I could NOT fit 10 rounds of .357 Mag in the magazine. So, I had to cut the magazine spring. Now, with the trimmed spring.....it will fit and function with 10 rounds of either cartridge. BUT, mine is an older model. Hopefully, the newer production Marlin's don't need this "fix."

Last Edited:
A good roll crimp for your reloads is a good thing.
If it's factory ammo.....buy a different brand.

Is your rifle even rated for 10 rounds of .38 special?

Aloha, Mark

I'm going to try some different manufacturers and see if that makes a difference. My rifle is rated for 10 rounds of 357 mag....so 10 rounds of 38 spl shouldn't have been any issue.

I'm going to try some different manufacturers and see if that makes a difference. My rifle is rated for 10 rounds of 357 mag....so 10 rounds of 38 spl shouldn't have been any issue.

You are correct. As a .357 Mag is LONGER than a .38 Special.

BUT THEN.....
Hopefully, It isn't a problem/fault of......too long or strong of a magazine spring. If you do end up cutting it. Be careful and go slowly. Test frequently.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I see people on reloading boards all the time tell others that they never trim pistol brass.

If they are going to do this, it helps to use brass at least from the same manufacturer, if not the same lot. Mixed brand pistol brass can cause trim issues.

Using single stage equipment, many experienced reloaders don't seat and crimp in the same stroke. They crimp as a second step. If trim issues are present with the brass, you can compensate for this by dialing down the crimp die a bit and do each one by feel. But having that good feel for crimping depth by the each takes experience.

It's well known that revolver-type cartridges should have cannelured bullets and a good roll crimp. Yet some of the pictures in this thread seem to show factory rounds assembled without crimp.

Talking about crimps.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews