JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I have a brand new 1873 Cimarron in 357mag that I've taken to the range once. Last week I loaded it with 10 38spl and it went into the safe (in the back of my mind thinking the rounds could compress) well I pulled it out today and it failed to cycle 2 out of the 10 rounds. Because those two were pushed back pretty much to the rim of the casing.

I was hoping to take this as my "road gun" but it would be silly if I cant leave it loaded longer than a day.

What are your thoughts? I'm pretty new to lever guns.

D3DC8F1F-9B48-4F14-A65C-EE8430C38712.jpeg

If I recall, tubular magazines require crimped ammo around a cannelure. Not all pistol ammo are even crimped at all.

Yeah. In a handgun it's not an issue but cheap ammo is often uncrimped to save money on production and thats not great in a tube magazine. Same reason not to use pointed rounds, except the leverevolution, I hear.

The 38 spl are from Freedom Munitons....so they might have skimped out on crimp.

I'll try some other brands and see if anything is different.... with ammo so expensive I don't want to experiment too much!

Those look like un cannelured bullets maybe more suited for 357sig or 38super type rounds, not what you want in a lever. I would doubt even an increase in crimp, if there was any, would help much for a truck gun bouncing down the road either.

I use these https://www.xtremebullets.com/38-158-RNFP-p/xc38-158rnfp-b0500.htm or Hornady https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018229522?pid=714533 These are the leverolution ammo type. The Hornady's come available as well as the seconds that midway packages that say gray tips but are orange (hint: they are the same). If ya wanna try either let me know.

Yeah. In a handgun it's not an issue but cheap ammo is often uncrimped to save money on production and thats not great in a tube magazine. Same reason not to use pointed rounds, except the leverevolution, I hear.
Disagree, in a revolver jumping crimp can be an issue resulting in cylinder bind, i.e. thing that goes round and round when trigger is pulled stops going round when trigger is pulled (pressed :s0125:) due to elongated round.
Crimp jump

The 38 spl are from Freedom Munitons....so they might have skimped out on crimp.

I'll try some other brands and see if anything is different.... with ammo so expensive I don't want to experiment too much!
I'm sure I have a box or two :s0141: around here of factory stuff if ya cant find any.

Really hard to see but the left red line is what a good roll crimp will look like. These are on a plated bullet so they bite good. Yours may look like the red line on the right (or somewhere between).

E49DA0DD-8723-4865-A8C8-169FD630777C.jpeg

Really hard to see but the left red line is what a good roll crimp will look like. These are on a plated bullet so they bite good. Yours may look like the red line on the right (or somewhere between).

View attachment 841238
Look here at Freedoms rnfp and lack of crimp....... I wouldnt think they'd do much better based on their site pics. I definitely use the cannelure when I load those same ones.

1615440939449.png

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top