JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Switzerland: Neutral, and from what I hear, a great place to live. As long as you have layers on.

In Switzerland every male is required to serve in the Army for two years, and (I think) they're in the Reserves until they're 45 yrs old. After their active duty, they go home with their rifle, a SIG 550 (lately) capable of full auto fire. So, in virtually every Swiss household there is a very real select fire automatic assault rifle chambered in 5.56/.223, or several, as you can pass them down over the generations. Ammo is provided by the government in most situations. When was the last mass shooting in Switzerland? That's a rhetorical question, of course. Why the difference between the U.S. and the Swiss? Obviously assault rifles have nothing to do with it (other than the fact that in both countries they provide an inhibitory effect against home invasions)!

More clues:

Societal Respect - that works
Health (incl. mental) care system - that works
Government - that works
Laws - that work

None of the above apply to the USA in it's current configuration.

We can learn a lesson here, and shouldn't be above doing just that.

Thoughts?

As a vet, I think that it would do our country a world of good to have everyone who is physically able, do a 2 year stint in the service. This of course would step on free will, and much of what this country is about. But people would know the value of life, have some discipline, and know how to work with people you don't like.

There is far too much MEMEMEMEME attitude in this country, and that is a lot of our problem. Every person out there will tell you that they know what is best for you to make our society better.

As a vet, I think that it would do our country a world of good to have everyone who is physically able, do a 2 year stint in the service. This of course would step on free will, and much of what this country is about. But people would know the value of life, have some discipline, and know how to work with people you don't like.

There is far too much MEMEMEMEME attitude in this country, and that is a lot of our problem. Every person out there will tell you that they know what is best for you to make our society better.

It would do a lot of good to have the draft, the Swiss way. One, we wouldn't be involved in so many wars - more people would care to be politically active if they felt that their sons could be sent to war and die. Second, it would not disrupt the life too much, like the continuous 2 year service would.

It would have to definitely be tailored to Americans. But it is likely far to late.

Maybe we should do like Starship Troopers!!!! You want to be a "citizen" who can vote? Serve in the bug wars!

It would have to definitely be tailored to Americans. But it is likely far to late.

Maybe we should do like Starship Troopers!!!! You want to be a "citizen" who can vote? Serve in the bug wars!

We already have a framework in place. Guard matches closely to what Swiss are doing. But there would be a lot of resistance from the defense industry and the military itself - first would lose a ton of revenues from warfare, second would lose the jobs. Who needs that ? Better let's go kill some hajis! Or commies! Or aliens! Let's go kill something (tax payers will hold the tap open)! :D

Yes, I'm sure if we think about it we can find something else to sic the war machine on to continue the climb of the empire, wait, sorry I got lost...I'm back now.

Switzerland: Neutral, and from what I hear, a great place to live. As long as you have layers on.

In Switzerland every male is required to serve in the Army for two years, and (I think) they're in the Reserves until they're 45 yrs old. After their active duty, they go home with their rifle, a SIG 550 (lately) capable of full auto fire. So, in virtually every Swiss household there is a very real select fire automatic assault rifle chambered in 5.56/.223, or several, as you can pass them down over the generations. Ammo is provided by the government in most situations. When was the last mass shooting in Switzerland? That's a rhetorical question, of course. Why the difference between the U.S. and the Swiss? Obviously assault rifles have nothing to do with it (other than the fact that in both countries they provide an inhibitory effect against home invasions)!

More clues:

Societal Respect - that works
Health (incl. mental) care system - that works
Government - that works
Laws - that work

None of the above apply to the USA in it's current configuration.

We can learn a lesson here, and shouldn't be above doing just that.

Thoughts?
Last I read was that when the weapon went home they were changed to semi-auto only.

I don't know, it doesn't seem so good to me. I prefer the way things are now, here in Oregon, over Swiss laws. I hope to god we don't become as restrictive as the Swiss!

International Focus: Switzerland - M1911.ORG E-zine

The 1999 Gun Act and the 2008 Schengen Treaty

Most of the restrictive firearms regulations were made in 1999. Two big changes were:
Strong restrictions for carrying firearms.
Federal laws instead of many different cantonal laws.
Because in 2008 Switzerland joined the Schengen treaty, it had to adapt some of its laws to the common Schengen standard. The noteworthy changes were:
Illicit possession of firearms will be punished.
Firearms trade between individuals requires a permit (firearms acquisition license).
All firearms have to be serialized and registered.
Firearms imitations and airsoft guns are subject of the new law. Thus "free" guns can be purchased without permit but have to be registered.
It’s only allowed to buy ammunition for someone owning the corresponding firearm.

The last mass shooting to take place in Switzerland was in October of 2001 in the canton of Zug.
14 people were killed.

Conscription happens at 20, and the Rekruten Schule lasts 4 months. Afterwards, the soldier returns for a 1-2 week refresher course until the age of 40ish.
Yes, the weapon comes home with the soldier, and a 60 round spam can of ammo.
And if you ever wanted to see the inside of military jail, just open that spam can up without permission.

When you retire, you may keep your weapon.
But the fun button is taken away.

I believe since the mid 00's soldiers can decide to get the whole thing done with in one year.
There is also more flexibility given to those who want to serve their country, yet oppose the military.
These people can help in various social programs throughout the country.

Everyone in Switzerland is required by law to buy health insurance
Most (90%) of the jobs are Union.
Wealth redistribution through progressive taxation is taught in schools as a positive thing.
(I saw the book, and read the passage. This was way back in 03 or 4)

I had a good time when I lived there. Zurich is a fun city.

Their gun laws are in some ways stricter than ours. Have you seen them at a shooting range? There is a little cage that they shoot through, where their gun is chained so it can only shoot down range. Plus civilians can't own guns.

WOW lots of info here not a lot of it accurate. I just posted a thread a couple days ago with ACTUAL Swiss gun laws written up by some one who actually knows them.
Please see the thread here

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...ss-gun-laws-someone-who-knows-first-hand.html

I have seen your thread, and haven't made corrections on purpose. It doesn't really matter what the actual regulations are in Switzerland. The only thing that they have in common with us is the large number of firearms in possession by the people.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top