JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I only have one of those rifles sorted out—the 300 WSM. One of the 30-06s will get taken apart to use for my 33 Nosler build. I will be doing that one all myself. The 33 Nosler will replace the 340, and I may build the 340 into a Edge—I have a Laredo stock. I'll use the 340 stock for the Nosler.

I need to get out and hunt more. Hunting just has not been as frequent of an activity as I'd like since I retired from the USAF and got a job back home in Oregon. I have kinda given up a bit and last year I started NBRSA long range BR again. That said I could still hunt frequently enough if I'd make the effort to meet some local guys.

I have a few M70 pre 64. Too many to picture
4 are 3006 std
2 3006 fw
2 270 std
1 270 fw
2 308 fw
1 243 fw
1 375 with modified barrel

Next spring I plan to sell 3 3006 std and the 375

Must have been another "senior" moment. I find that the older I get......my memory is great, except for anything in the past!! Thanks Andy.........I think we should just let them be deleted. Thanks!!
You are very welcome skywag.
Oh yeah....you also must have forgotten that you said I could have that model 70....:eek: :D
Andy

I no longer have a Mod 70, but this is the one I had that was made in the 50's. 30-06 featherweight with a good Weaver KV 2 3/4x5 variable in tip off mounts. Very nice gun, but it just sat in the safe so I sold it to a friend.
View attachment 340432
Not to derail the Winchester thread, but my Winchester went down the road because of one certain stainless Ruger 77 MKII. What I do with the Ruger I could NEVER bring myself to do with a classic Model 70. No way.

I love it when someone digs up an old thread I previously posted in. It's fun to see what's changed in my mind and gun safe.

That Featherweight was a beauty and almost what I wanted. I wanted the look of the standard barrel with the sight boss and I wanted the original steel buttplate. Because of that "almost" it wasn't too hard to let go of.

Earlier this year I picked up a regular ol Model 70 in 30-06 that had seen many better days, which made it the perfect candidate for me to make the 70 that I really wanted. After a bunch of searching and some help from another member I found the stock I was after. The gun had decent rings and bases, making adding my old Vari-X II super simple. I don't know if the trigger has received any work and judging from the condition of the gun when I got it, I'd guess not, but it breaks just a hair over 2.5# and is very crisp. Probably just 40+ years of use. (it sat untouched for 30 years before I got it)The gun now wears factory Winchester rings and has a nice leather sling. I built this gun to hunt with and we'll see later if I decide to actually use it the way I planned. Later, because my 1894 is getting it's first deer season in 30 years this year.
Model 70 keeper.jpg

I've added one since my last post to this thread. It's an XTR Featherweight in 7mm Mauser, made in 1983 or thereabouts when USRA was operating the Winchester factory.

PA020193.JPG

A couple or three years back I was at @Velzey 's place and he had this cool, but F-ed up little Winchester. Somebody chopped the barrel, stuffed a plug in the rear sight notch and filed it round. Then they worked the stock into a Schnabel tip with an ebony wedge. It's the kind of mutt I can't resist, cuz it's really hard for me to do any "damage".
At the Rickreal gun show that year I found a few boxes (some partial) of Winchester Silvertips. I bought them then called Velzey to make sure he still had the gun. The next year I bought some High Desert reloads from @Cerberus Group at the Rickreal show, then life got in the way and it just sat in the safe.
Last weekend I shot 7 rounds of the ammo I bought from @Cerberus Group and was very pleased that they shrunk the group size over the Winchester ammo.
My Ruger may sit out this hunting season.
Built in 1942, chambered in 257 Roberts. I added a Weaver K4-1, cuz it seemed appropriate.

sighting in 257 9.30.23.jpg

A couple or three years back I was at @Velzey 's place and he had this cool, but F-ed up little Winchester. Somebody chopped the barrel, stuffed a plug in the rear sight notch and filed it round. Then they worked the stock into a Schnabel tip with an ebony wedge. It's the kind of mutt I can't resist, cuz it's really hard for me to do any "damage".
At the Rickreal gun show that year I found a few boxes (some partial) of Winchester Silvertips. I bought them then called Velzey to make sure he still had the gun. The next year I bought some High Desert reloads from @Cerberus Group at the Rickreal show, then life got in the way and it just sat in the safe.
Last weekend I shot 7 rounds of the ammo I bought from @Cerberus Group and was very pleased that they shrunk the group size over the Winchester ammo.
Built in 1942, chambered in 257 Roberts. I added a Weaver K4-1, cuz it seemed appropriate.

View attachment 1734118
Ha, you're to blame for me now being 257 Roberts fanatic!

Picked up a new looking Remington 722, still looking for a 700...but am happy with the 722, the ammo and the performance.

My old man has one thats been in the family forever. Made in 1939, chambered in .270. Id love to take it out if I can find a group to go with for the general elk season in November

View attachment 1734118
Classic rifle set up! The 257 Roberts is an exceptional medium game and general purpose round.