JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I like this new "sub forum". Here's your chance to show off your nice Winchester model 70's. I have had pre 64's, post 64 pushfeeds and CRF, USRAC, WRA, and FN BACO. I'm down to just pre 64's right now, but that can change if I ran across the right stainless classic CRF. My collection is way down, but here they are:

270 Winchester fwt. made in 1957, coupled to a Mcmillan hunters compact stock with red pachmayr decelerator recoil pad. A favorite of mine and it's extremely accurate:

100% original 30-06 fwt made in 1956:

Semi custom 338 win mag: 1954 H&H receiver, Gre tan stainless barrel, Brown precision pounder stock with red pachmayr decelerator, midnight blue cerakote, holds 4 rounds in the magazine, weighs 7 3/4 pounds all up (pictured):

My big African rifle: 1956 375 H&H with Mcmillan pre 64 montecarlo pattern swirly stock with the old style coyote bomber color scheme:

Post pics of your 70's if you have them.....

IMG_0165_zps51a4a788.jpg IMG_0275_zpsglfipjjb.jpg DSC00152_zpsopr943d5.jpg IMG_0782_zpsxhvms09l.jpg

Ok, well I'll kick off the responses.

Here is my M70; mid-70's specialty match action with stripper clip guide, Hart heavy barrel chambered in .308, McMillian prone stock, Mo's sight's. This is my primary long range rifle and have shot it in Palma and NRA matches out to 1,000 yards. It's not a top contender but always a great experience to shoot. M70.jpg

BSA, what made you go away from your FN made rifles?

I loved my FN PBR XP 300 WSM, but it was more of a specialized rifle. My local gunclub shut down with no promise to re-open, so I wasn't shooting centerfire competition anymore and let it go. I still regret that decision, but know where the rifle is and can buy it back If I wanted. One of my longest shots on a big game animal (mule deer buck) was with that FN 300 WSM. It was at a laser ranged 600 yards in the Deschutes canyons. Dropped the buck with one shot. Here's how that rifle shot and what it looked like:
001-102.jpg
002-93.jpg

10 shot group:
009-20.jpg

The other FN BACO rifles I've had were fine rifles, but I just didn't like them as much as my old model 70's. I often say the 1956 30-06 fwt kicked many a good rifle out of the safe and it is true. What can you not get done with a good 30-06??? I have nothing against the FN rifles, except they should be made in America. As of right now, they are manufactured in Portugal. The Winchester model 70 has always been the American "Rifleman's rifle", not the Portuguese "rifleman's rifle"....

Ok, well I'll kick off the responses.

Here is my M70; mid-70's specialty match action with stripper clip guide, Hart heavy barrel chambered in .308, McMillian prone stock, Mo's sight's. This is my primary long range rifle and have shot it in Palma and NRA matches out to 1,000 yards. It's not a top contender but always a great experience to shoot.View attachment 318338

That's an awesome rifle! Thanks for sharing..

Currently with out a M70! Plenty of others, a Mod 52 target .22, a Mod 54 in 30/06 another mod 54 in .270 ( my fav) and a Post 64 push feed heavy/long range in .243 win. Not a real mod 70 if it dosn't have Da Claw:cool:

Currently with out a M70! Plenty of others, a Mod 52 target .22, a Mod 54 in 30/06 another mod 54 in .270 ( my fav) and a Post 64 push feed heavy/long range in .243 win. Not a real mod 70 if it dosn't have Da Claw:cool:

I don't know if I'd go that far. I had a push feed 270 XTR FWT that was quite the rifle. A buddy from another site wanted it for his daughter, so I gave it up to him. Well, for a certain amount of money anyway...:). His daughter killed her first moose with this rifle:

IMG_0859_zps9f30f055.jpg
This push feed model 70 really made a believer out of me. I like the claw extractor too, but these old pushfeeds are great rifles too..

Ooo. I'm excited, I'll have to pull out my 70 tomorrow and share pics. maybe someone could help me identify the age. I bought it for $300 8 years ago and was very pleased to see what they're worth now.

Post some pics. I love looking at all model 70's. I can also help with date of manufacture, especially if it's a pre 64...

This ones a pre 64 style with controlled feed just before Winchester closed up.

I have one just like that, a Featherweight in .300 WSM, bought just before they went belly up. It's very nice looking with that walnut stock and stainless. But it sits in the back of the gun safe, now that I have my 1885 in .300 WSM...

I no longer have a Mod 70, but this is the one I had that was made in the 50's. 30-06 featherweight with a good Weaver KV 2 3/4x5 variable in tip off mounts. Very nice gun, but it just sat in the safe so I sold it to a friend.
P1010068.JPG

Orygun, that's a beauty. I really like my featherweights. They are just about perfect when it comes to weight and balance. I'll bet your friend really likes that one.

That's a beautiful rifle right there. If I only had one rifle, it would be something like your stainless 30-06. Don't get much better than that...

Not to derail the Winchester thread, but my Winchester went down the road because of one certain stainless Ruger 77 MKII. What I do with the Ruger I could NEVER bring myself to do with a classic Model 70. No way.