JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice rifles guys. The model 70 is one of my favorites. Since you brought it back to the top, I'll share a new model 70 I bought about a week ago. Made almost a 500 mile round trip to pick it up from a great forum member here. It's a real nice classic fwt chambered in 7mm08. I've had my eye on this one for a while. Since no one was buying it, I said I'd take it. Glad I did too. Came just like you see in the pic, except I put a set of Leupold dual dovetails on it. Those are my preferred ring/mount combo on my winchesters anymore:

88eWRkA.jpg

This rifle is sweet and I promised to take care of her. I've already fine tuned the trigger and dropped the pull wt. down to a crisp and smooth 2.5 pounds. Next step is my usual glass bedding and load development. I also wanted to thank the seller again for such a great deal!!!!

Just about finished with a stock project i have been enjoying carving and checkering, I had to go with the same checkering pattern as those beautiful Winchester's,nothing quite like them, the very definition of American classic arms!:)

Just about finished with a stock project i have been enjoying carving and checkering, I had to go with the same checkering pattern as those beautiful Winchester's,nothing quite like them, the very definition of American classic arms!:)

About the only thing prettier is a Biesen, but that has to also be a model 70 :p

Here's a rifle I've had for a year now. Been wanting to paint it like my 338wm and finally got around to doing that today. Added the red pachmayr to reduce recoil and I've always liked the color combination. Rifle shoots moa 5 shot groups (after glass bedding, freefloating and tuning the trigger) and is balanced very well. Oldstyle model 70 trigger. Classic stainless 7WSM:

p4LgzhH.jpg
IAQtk7d.jpg

Personally, I've never been a fan of the Winchester Model 70 unless it's a pre'64 that I have built into what it should be. The Remington Model 700 has been a better out-of-the-box rifle for me and my customers.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the Winchester Model 70 unless it's a pre'64 that I have built into what it should be. The Remington Model 700 has been a better out-of-the-box rifle for me and my customers.

The 700's have been garbage for me. Poor extraction and bad qc. Post some of your model 70's, if you have those pre 64's you speak of.. There may be a different thread on 700's.. Maybe the gunsmithing forum?

The 700's have been garbage for me. Poor extraction and bad qc. Post some of your model 70's, if you have those pre 64's you speak of.. There may be a different thread on 700's.. Maybe the gunsmithing forum?
Sorry, I don't post pictures. I've built several pre'64s into custom rifles for customers and I'm not much of a rifle guy myself. A few years ago I ran into a 700TMR in .308 and ended up keeping it for myself. The only thing it got was a Single-Set Trigger and it shoots sub MOA very nicely. So it will stay around for a while.