JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good eye. Anomaly. No flute. Im pretty sure this thing is as from factory with an added sling, scope and some huntin rash.

Fluted barrel would be pretty darn sweet now that you mention it.

I like your rifle. I gave my dad one just like it. He doesn't like using it because it kicks too much for him though. He keeps threatening to give it back. I think he wants to trade for my '56 30-06 fwt. He hints around that's the year he was born and it seems more fitting...:D... I always liked that 300wm though. I've also seen a 338wm with a fluted barrel. They look sweet that way. I don't think it really reduces too much weight, but is supposed to add rigidity, allow for better cooling and just plain look cool.

I just found a 257 Roberts M77 for $600 pretty hi isn't it?

It entirely depends on which model it is. I also ran across a sweet 257 Roberts about 3 years ago. It was a very nice looking wood/blued older mkII and the shop wanted $650.00 for it... I offered $550.00 for it and it sat in the shop for at least 2 years. I don't know what they finally got out of it..... I've seen some of the Bob's go for quite a bit on gunbroker though....

It looks like only some of them have open sights. Anyone know which are the models that have sights?

Yes Libertas7, some had sights and some did not. Here's a list of rifles that came with sights. Generally if they have the iron sight option, they will have the "RS" in the model # proceeding the M77:

Ruger Express Rifle: Model M77RSEXP MKII
Ruger Magnum Rifle: Model M77RSM MKII
Ruger standard model with sights: M77RS MKII
Ruger All weather with sights: KM77RSP MKII
Ruger International Model: M77RSI MKII
Ruger sporter with laminated stock: KM77RSBZ MKII

There may be more like the left hand models and ultra light models, but I'm not sure if any of those were made with iron sights. I also left out the Hawkeye's, as I don't have any info on those. I also like my rifles to have backup irons on them..... A lot of them don't now days, but it's always a nice option IMHO...

Checking the Ruger website shows very little in the way of new Hawkeyes. Since the introduction of the American the options of the Hawkeye have diminished greatly. It used to be there were probably 10-15 different models of the MKII, not counting caliber variations. I don't believe you can get open sights on anything but the Gunsite Scout, Guide Gun and African anymore.

It entirely depends on which model it is. I also ran across a sweet 257 Roberts about 3 years ago. It was a very nice looking wood/blued older mkII and the shop wanted $650.00 for it... I offered $550.00 for it and it sat in the shop for at least 2 years. I don't know what they finally got out of it..... I've seen some of the Bob's go for quite a bit on gunbroker though....
It's one of the red recoil pad ones. The gun shop I saw it at is always over priced on used rifles. If it was $50 less I probably would have picked it up. I am waiting for a gun show I would love to find a 6.5x55sw in a Ruger.

Yes Libertas7, some had sights and some did not. Here's a list of rifles that came with sights. Generally if they have the iron sight option, they will have the "RS" in the model # proceeding the M77:

Ruger Express Rifle: Model M77RSEXP MKII
Ruger Magnum Rifle: Model M77RSM MKII
Ruger standard model with sights: M77RS MKII
Ruger All weather with sights: KM77RSP MKII
Ruger International Model: M77RSI MKII
Ruger sporter with laminated stock: KM77RSBZ MKII

There may be more like the left hand models and ultra light models, but I'm not sure if any of those were made with iron sights. I also left out the Hawkeye's, as I don't have any info on those. I also like my rifles to have backup irons on them..... A lot of them don't now days, but it's always a nice option IMHO...

Thanks! :) Yeah, I've always liked the idea of rifles having backup sights.

Thanks! :) Yeah, I've always liked the idea of rifles having backup sights.
It's a great idea, but unfortunately the manufacturers didn't sell many guns like that and I believe it's the reason we don't see much of them anymore.
If I'm hunting away from the home area, I either take a back up rifle, or a scope in rings ready to swap out.

One of the main reasons I like Ruger rifles so much, mine all have Irons and they are actually good irons like they should be! I also always pack a back up rifle, Just in case!
I really wish more companies would offer rifles with optional irons like they used to, or at least drilled and tapped for them!

The last Ruger I had that came with iron sights was the African in 375. They were very good sights, but unfortunately lacked any elevation adjustment. I did look into buying a rear sight off of one of the Scouts that fits in the rear scope ring dovetail. But then traded the gun away so it didn't matter any longer.

The Hawkeye Guide comes with a very nice set of Irons from the factory, and they can be upgraded if desired for better windage using a rear sight from a Winchester mod 70. and the front can be fit with a hood if you wish from the same set up! I like the hooded front, makes it easy to see the front post in bright sunlight and keeps from getting dinged in the brush!

I had to do some diggin to find this pic. This is the Hawkeye African I had. No pics of the thing in the beautiful wood stock, but instead wearing the Hogue full length bed that I had it in when I used it. This was a nice, accurate thumper.
African.jpg

It's a great idea, but unfortunately the manufacturers didn't sell many guns like that and I believe it's the reason we don't see much of them anymore.
If I'm hunting away from the home area, I either take a back up rifle, or a scope in rings ready to swap out.

I think anymore, it's just easier and cheaper to make a rifle with no iron sights. Manufactures started realizing this after about 1964..... Some of my favorites have iron sights on them and I don't even know they are there, until something drastic happens and I may need them. Not saying that has ever happened, but you never know...

I agree. Also there was a great distrust in optics for many years and most guys wouldn't trust any scope 100%. Scope quality and use has increased greatly in the last 50 years and thus, not many people use irons any more.

I've been tempted a few times to offer up my 03A3 for a trade on a Ruger RSI in .30-06 or .308.
I really like those full stocks...
Andy
There was a Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57 at Fisherman's in OC several years ago that I was interested in. They wanted $750 for it, which seemed reasonable at the time. I took in a 500 S&W revolver that was valued about $800-$850 (then) to inquire about a trade. When the slacker behind the counter offered me $350 for my gun (about 1/3 of what I'd paid for it from them a couple of years earlier), then damn near broke the case haphazardly closing it up, I decided that I'd not deal with Fred again. Probably won't buy a gun from them again, either. Too bad for them, as I'd purchased many firearms from them in the past. Moral of the story, don't piss off your customers.
Too bad, that was a cool rifle.

Trading firearms can be a headache.
I understand that if I bring in a gun to a store , the store needs to make money on both guns... but when they low ball my trade in gun forget it.

With our current need for a BGU on every sale , it will cut down my trading.
Still doesn't stop me from looking at those lovely RSI's when I see 'em...
Andy

I know this is not a photo, but since I've got some fellers attention, a question for the 77 guys...

Recently, Ruger has released some KM-77 RSI's chambered in .275 Rigby. We know the .275 Rigby is the British designation for the 7x57 Mauser. Has anybody known Ruger to use the British designation in the past?

Inquiring minds...

Okay now. Previously I excluded this nice old M77 .30-06 from a photo-op, just because it was so buried. Finally dug it out.

Gotta say, the bluing on these old 77's was exquisite.

e18fc5e4-3f97-441f-a6a5-6299a7409d8d_zpsa9qkchci.jpg

P1040247_zpshyfxg9eo.jpg

P1040249_zps5o9zu5da.jpg

WAYNO.

Last Edited: