JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Haven't done much with it I haven't even put my scope on it yet. These posts have made me went to pretty it up some IMG_20170411_132755924.jpg

No paddle rifles? Here is my Ruger M77 in 7.62x39. My Dad bought it for SHTF, figuring that he could even shoot corrosive ammo if needed. Topped with a Bushnell HD 3-9 x 40. I like the feel, balance and style. Not many made in that caliber. P4110159.JPG P4110160.JPG

Does that rifle reliably ignite berdan primers?
Yes, I haven't had any problems with ammo - Russian, Chinese or US. I haven't tried all types of ammo, but seems to ignite all that I have tried so far - Tula, Wolf, Barnaul, Norinco, Winchester and Federal. I a still trying different types for accuracy. Russian based bullets are slightly larger (.310-.311) than some US manufacturers (.308). I need to slug my chamber/barrel.

No paddle rifles? Here is my Ruger M77 in 7.62x39. My Dad bought it for SHTF, figuring that he could even shoot corrosive ammo if needed. Topped with a Bushnell HD 3-9 x 40. I like the feel, balance and style. Not many made in that caliber.View attachment 355936 View attachment 355938
I doubt I'll ever like the paddle stock, but man, that's one sweet rifle. I tried to finagle one a couple of years back but that didn't work out. I think kinda like your Dad.
I highly doubt any Ruger 77 has a problem lighting off any primer. :D

Yes, I haven't had any problems with ammo - Russian, Chinese or US. I haven't tried all types of ammo, but seems to ignite all that I have tried so far - Tula, Wolf, Barnaul, Norinco, Winchester and Federal. I a still trying different types for accuracy. Russian based bullets are slightly larger (.310-.311) than some US manufacturers (.308). I need to slug my chamber/barrel.

That is good to know. Some American guns, designed for Boxer primers, just don't have enough firing pin protrusion to reliably ignite Berdan primers. The M77 apparently is the exception. And some folks might question why anybody would shoot Rooshkie ammo in a quality bolt action rifle. Well, normally I wouldn't. But if it's the only ammo a feller could find, it'd sure be good to know the Rooshkie stuff could be used.

Thanks.

WAYNO.

That is good to know. Some American guns, designed for Boxer primers, just don't have enough firing pin protrusion to reliably ignite Berdan primers. The M77 apparently is the exception. And some folks might question why anybody would shoot Rooshkie ammo in a quality bolt action rifle. Well, normally I wouldn't. But if it's the only ammo a feller could find, it'd sure be good to know the Rooshkie stuff could be used.

Thanks.

WAYNO.
I normally don't shoot Ruskie ammo in my M77, but wanted to see what the accuracy was. Wolf ammo is pretty good and I would not have a problem shooting it. Non-Ruskie 7.62x39 is pretty overpriced. I don't know what I would use the rifle in that caliber for (except SHTF) - not my first choice for deer. I prefer .308 or .375 Winchester in the brush.

I'm weird that way. A lot of the guys on another forum I visit are known to be "rifle loonies". We take pictures of our rifles, even when we aren't having luck in the field...:D
View attachment 355183
View attachment 355184
View attachment 355191
View attachment 355192
I've owned a few Hawkeye's. They are excellent rifles. Here's a 308 win that was fun to work with. It started out as an all weather with a synthetic stock. I later did a stock swap with a .223 rem I had laying around:
View attachment 355178

After putting the walnut stock on the 308:
View attachment 355186
View attachment 355187
View attachment 355188
Hey, it's still an "all weather" rifle isn't it? ^^^^^^^:p

Of course, the stock had to be properly glass bed to the new action. I also sealed up the barrel channel with about 3 coats of tru-oil:
View attachment 355180
View attachment 355193
Here's the 223 rem Hawkeye that my buddy talked me out of. Apparently his target/varmint model was too heavy to be a good "coyote rifle", so we did a straight across trade. I painted the synthetic stock for him and applied a little texturing for him:
View attachment 355181

He loves that rifle and I'll tell you what. He wasn't giving much, if anything, in the accuracy department:
View attachment 355182

He's happy, the yotes aren't....:p

Now I tote his old .223 rem when I go yote hunting :rolleyes:
View attachment 355189
Win win for both of us. I still don't like the 2 stage trigger in the varmint model though. A skilled guy can rework the old MKII and Hawkey (LC6) triggers and make them damn fine;).
Where did you pick up the wood stock at it's beautiful. I want one like the 308 you got

Snarlingdog, I got lucky and it was on a factory Hawkeye .223 rem. My buddy really wanted the .223 rem, but he prefers synthetic stocks for his hunting rifles, so it was a win win to swap stocks. I really liked the stock on that one and it was very nice with the stainless. You don't see them like that too often. I just couldn't learn to like the 308 Winchester. I much prefer the 30-06..

Good luck buddy. Some of those Hawkeye's have real nice stocks. Maybe a take off could be available to you at the gunshow or you can always keep an eye on ebay or the likes...

Some of those Hawkeye's have real nice stocks.

That's true. The stock on my African was nicer than any other 77 I'd ever seen with the Magnum being the exception. I had it on my blued '06 and the combination was beautiful. I only hunted with it once because it looked so nice.
I guess that's what I like about synthetic and stainless. I don't feel bad for beating the sh*t out of it.:D

But I would have to be soul-less to not drool over nice wood and beautiful bluing.

Awesome post Orygun. I can relate, as most of my hunting rifles are old workhorses with plain jane stocks on them or good tough synthetics. I still won't take my pre 64 model 70 30-06 fwt out in the woods, because it's an all original 1956 that is in very good condition. You just don't run across them like that anymore, so I choose to use my old m1917 30-06 or good ol Ruger m77'S.... However, after seeing some beautiful Rugers being posted here, I don't know if I'd willingly take some of these rifles out in the woods either... You guys have some very nice taste in rifles. Thanks for posting them... I've always been a big Ruger fan: They do anything you can ask of them and they are so damn reliable it isn't even funny.

Here's my Mark II in 300 win mag with a 3x9 VXII:
20170413_073102.jpg
Got it a couple years ago for an incredible deal. Took it elk hunting this year and dropped a cow in her tracks with a front shoulder shot. First time I had hunted with this caliber and riffle and was very pleased with the results. Form, fit and function are excellent.

Here's my Mark II in 300 win mag with a 3x9 VXII:
View attachment 356558
Got it a couple years ago for an incredible deal. Took it elk hunting this year and dropped a cow in her tracks with a front shoulder shot. First time I had hunted with this caliber and riffle and was very pleased with the results. Form, fit and function are excellent.

Does that barrel have a flute, or is it just an anomaly in the pic? The 300 I posted started out just like this one, but lost the skeleton before it came to me.

Good eye. Anomaly. No flute. Im pretty sure this thing is as from factory with an added sling, scope and some huntin rash.

Fluted barrel would be pretty darn sweet now that you mention it.