JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Would you sell a handgun (private purchase) to a person under 21 years old?
Oregon law states you can purchase a handgun over 18 privately but why the then can't you through an FFL holder, ie; gun dealers? You must be 21 years old?

My answer having a 19yo, and soon to be 18yo kid is no I would not sell a gun to someone under 21 yo. As a father I wouldn't want someone selling my kids a gun without me knowing about the deal before hand.

I would not sell to anyone under 21. Regardless of the legalities I would not want to have to argue my side in court. It is alarming the number of prosecutors that do not know the law. Also, under 21, I can not see a CPL and ensure I am not selling to a felon.

My answer having a 19yo, and soon to be 18yo kid is no I would not sell a gun to someone under 21 yo. As a father I wouldn't want someone selling my kids a gun without me knowing about the deal before hand.

My nephew, an 19yo Marine, answers your ad to purchase your 1911 you have for sale. He knocks on your door in jeans and a t shirt and you decline, he comes back in 1/2 hour in uniform....do you change your mind?

I agree with most of you on selling to someone under 21.

In the otherside of justification on the Oregon law:
You're 18 or older (between 18 and 21); you can serve / die for your country / You can go to jail as an adult for the wrong actions / You pay taxes / You vote.

My nephew, an 19yo Marine, answers your ad to purchase your 1911 you have for sale. He knocks on your door in jeans and a t shirt and you decline, he comes back in 1/2 hour in uniform....do you change your mind?

First off - Thank him for his service and his mom and dad.

I do not change my mind. Unfortunately its not about the person buying, its about CYA. If the firearm, after you sell it, no matter how many years it has been, was traced back to you, even though it is legal to an 18 yr old, I believe you would be in a world of hurt from the media and the anti-gunners and probably face a law suit. IMHO.

I just had to tell an 18 yr old last night that I do not feel comfortable selling to him.

I would also like to say his response made me proud of him "OK I respect that"
My hat is off to you thank you:s0155:

The answer would still be no. My sons are both responsible kids that have never been in any trouble and are both honor students and one now has earned his third scholarship so they are just as or more responsible than the average 19yo Marine, regardless I still don't want someone selling them a gun without my consent.

The answer would still be no. My sons are both responsible kids that have never been in any trouble and are both honor students and one now has earned his third scholarship so they are just as or more responsible than the average 19yo Marine, regardless I still don't want someone selling them a gun without my consent.

No one needs your consent. You are either a freeman or you are not.

Everyone needs my consent to buy a firearm from me! ;)

LOL, but you understand your 18yo son does not need your consent.

If you are concerned about selling a 'private sale' to an 18-20yo you can type up a bill of sale and record the purchaser's driver's license/military ID and obtain a signature. In Washington, for $10 you may do a WSP background check on any individual with that information. You can do it online and have a result back in a few minutes. With a properly recorded bill of sale and background check, it is my opinion that you would be exempt from any legal action.

If you are concerned about selling a 'private sale' to an 18-20yo you can type up a bill of sale and record the purchaser's driver's license/military ID and obtain a signature. In Washington, for $10 you may do a WSP background check on any individual with that information. You can do it online and have a result back in a few minutes. With a properly recorded bill of sale and background check, it is my opinion that you would be exempt from any legal action.

This is my personal rule as the owner of private property, state laws do not trump my own personal rules.

Personally I wouldn't want to let any LE agency know that I own or am selling a firearm. Second, I would sell to this age of person if I knew him and trusted him. Off hand I can't think of any 18-20 year old whom I trust:s0155:

Trismn-

Maybe I am not being clear. Your son does not need your consent to purchase the firearm from ME, in general. I understand your personal rules, just sayin'....

eriknemily-

By recording a bill of sale and doing a general state background check the government does not know that you are selling a firearm. These are for your personal records and do not need to be recorded with the state. The background check has no mention of firearms, it is simply the public record. This is what the schools and other volunteer organizations use in clearing volunteer's.

Trismn-

Maybe I am not being clear. Your son does not need your consent to purchase the firearm from ME, in general. I understand your personal rules, just sayin'....

eriknemily-

By recording a bill of sale and doing a general state background check the government does not know that you are selling a firearm. These are for your personal records and do not need to be recorded with the state. The background check has no mention of firearms, it is simply the public record. This is what the schools and other volunteer organizations use in clearing volunteer's.

The original post asked the question "Would you sell a handgun (private purchase) to a person under 21 years old?" So naturally my answers would state what I would do, not what you would do. No matter how you state your answer it still has no relevance to what I would do. :s0155:

I understand the origanl post.

However, I think it adds value to the many who read the posts to understand the why we choose to make the decissions that we do and to understand other thoughts and the legalities of our choices. Perhaps there are things that I did not think of and I am open to learning and understanding new ideas. I come to forums like this to learn and understand. I hope that others do to...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top