Learn how to take a screenshot or use the snipping tool

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joe Link, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Portland, OR
    Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've noticed quite a few people don't know how to take a Windows screenshot or use the snipping tool, so I figured I'd share a couple of links. Screenshots are among the most valuable tools one has to relay information about issues they're seeing on their computers and devices. I highly suggest that everyone who uses a computer get familiar with these features.

First, a couple definitions. A screenshot an image of the entire display on a computer screen. A snip, in this case created with the Windows Snipping Tool, is a tool which can take screenshots of an open window, rectangular areas, a free-form area, or the entire screen. The biggest benefit of the Snipping Tool is that it has the ability to capture only what you select, while a screenshot captures everything.

XP is limited to standard screenshots out of the box, while Vista, 7, and 8 include the Windows Snipping Tool. There are third party utilities to bring Snipping Tool like functions to XP, but I can't vouch for the legitimacy of any of them, and they should be used at your own risk.

Here are the links to the Microsoft instructions. Enjoy!

XP / Screenshot: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-xp/help/setup/take-a-screen-shot

Vista, Win 7, Win 8: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-7

gryghin, teflon97239, orygun and 4 others like this.
  2. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Portland, OR
    Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

MTpockets likes this.
  3. RicInOR

RicInOR
    Washington County
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Windows.
    I like ALT+PrtScn (Alternate key and the Print Screen key)
    That captures just the in-focus window, rather than the entire desktop.

Then I use Paint.NET for manipulating the images.

4. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!
    SCREW YOU SALEM! Gold Supporter

COOL! I'm gonna snip Joe's avatar and use paint to put a green boogie under his nose, then I'll have my North Korean contacts hack into the website and insert it to his profile so everyone will think it's real.... BRILLIANT! :D

5. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

Good info Joe. I like the snipping tool, it's very useful.

6. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

GREAT INFO Thanks

7. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5
    Western OR

People sill use MS IE?

uscsoldier likes this.
  8. 308

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I never knew about the snipping tool...thanks Joe!

9. teflon97239

teflon97239
    Portland, OR

Worker bees in my office use a lot of screen prints and snippets - part of the job. The common app for that is some horrible multi-step Printkey 2000 program. This is MUCH easier to use. Thanks for posting it.

10. FZRider

FZRider
    Lacey, Wa

We use Screen Hunter at work on our Windows machines. You can download it for free at downloads.com

11. jsparks747

jsparks747
    Portland, Or

Just read the thread about "The Snips" and kinda freaked out about a DIY Snip. Lol.

MTpockets and Lightborne like this.
  12. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    West of Oly
    Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Can't you just use the mouse, highlight it & then copy & paste it..... that's my C&P tool.....;)

13. DirectDrive

DirectDrive
    Vancouver, WA
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2017 Volunteer

For general snipping and capturing I use Gadwin Systems Printscreen.
    I use it quite regularly.....it creates its own folder, so it's easy to find your snips.
    I use that same folder for all my Internet Thievery (it's borrowing) :) , grabbing pic URL's etc.
    The GUI is polished.....pleasant to use.
    Gadwin Systems, Inc. - Software for your business. DiagramStudio - program for create diagrams and flowcharts; GeForms - solution for design and filling forms, hundreds of free business forms.
    The Pro ver is payware and the ver 5.4 is freeware. (no trial period with mine)

Try it....I'll bet you keep it.
    Gadwin offers some other cool stuff as well....have not tried those yet.