Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Learn how to take a screenshot or use the snipping tool

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joe Link, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've noticed quite a few people don't know how to take a Windows screenshot or use the snipping tool, so I figured I'd share a couple of links. Screenshots are among the most valuable tools one has to relay information about issues they're seeing on their computers and devices. I highly suggest that everyone who uses a computer get familiar with these features.

First, a couple definitions. A screenshot an image of the entire display on a computer screen. A snip, in this case created with the Windows Snipping Tool, is a tool which can take screenshots of an open window, rectangular areas, a free-form area, or the entire screen. The biggest benefit of the Snipping Tool is that it has the ability to capture only what you select, while a screenshot captures everything.

XP is limited to standard screenshots out of the box, while Vista, 7, and 8 include the Windows Snipping Tool. There are third party utilities to bring Snipping Tool like functions to XP, but I can't vouch for the legitimacy of any of them, and they should be used at your own risk.

Here are the links to the Microsoft instructions. Enjoy!

XP / Screenshot: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-xp/help/setup/take-a-screen-shot

Vista, Win 7, Win 8: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-7

teflon97239, orygun, U201491 and 3 others like this.
  2. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

MTpockets likes this.
  3. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Windows.
    I like ALT+PrtScn (Alternate key and the Print Screen key)
    That captures just the in-focus window, rather than the entire desktop.

Then I use Paint.NET for manipulating the images.

4. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

COOL! I'm gonna snip Joe's avatar and use paint to put a green boogie under his nose, then I'll have my North Korean contacts hack into the website and insert it to his profile so everyone will think it's real.... BRILLIANT! :D

BrentN and orygun like this.
  5. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good info Joe. I like the snipping tool, it's very useful.

6. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

GREAT INFO Thanks

7. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

People sill use MS IE?

8. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

I never knew about the snipping tool...thanks Joe!

9. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Worker bees in my office use a lot of screen prints and snippets - part of the job. The common app for that is some horrible multi-step Printkey 2000 program. This is MUCH easier to use. Thanks for posting it.

10. FZRider

FZRider Lacey, Wa Active Member

We use Screen Hunter at work on our Windows machines. You can download it for free at downloads.com