JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This law is consistent with the Heller decision because it will allow people to keep loaded and functional firearms on their person, within their immediate control, or within a rapid-access locked container. The Washington DC law found to be unconstitutional by Heller didn't allow those things.

I think the Heller decision would be relevant because the poor cannot afford rapid-access containers, and the highest rates of crime are certainly in the poorest areas of any municipality.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/bjs/104274.pdf,), 89% of men and 73% of women will experience at least one violent crime during their lifetime. That statistic alone justifies having a self-defence weapon readily available, not locked up in some safe or closet.

I think the Heller decision would be relevant because the poor cannot afford rapid-access containers, and the highest rates of crime are certainly in the poorest areas of any municipality.

Putting an inexpensive trigger lock or cable lock on guns that are not on the person or under their immediate control would also comply with the law.

SECTION 1. (1) A person who owns or possesses a firearm must secure the firearm with a trigger or cable lock engaged or in a locked container equipped with a tamper-resistant lock.

(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to a firearm carried by or under the control of the owner or possessor of the firearm.
http://oregonvotes.org/irr/2018/044text.pdf

Trigger locks and cable locks are much less expensive than guns or ammo. Prosecutors would point out that a trigger lock is less expensive than a box of ammo. They will say if you can afford ammo you can afford a trigger lock.

There is almost no chance of beating this in court.

I don't think this one is so much "anti-gun" and more "anti-gun owners". But yeah, this needs to stop. Now.

Oh, and the article cited 14 teens that commited suicide with unsecured firearms. Not to sound heartless (which I pretty much am), but 14? Out of over 4 million Oregon residents? Those statistics DEFINITELY need a new law. :rolleyes:
Gotta say this is a democrat backed concept---can't handle life?? just leave---leave your loved ones in despare. My dad shot himself after problems with my mother, work and maybe my absence ---was in the Army.I never blamed him but I really hate anything or anyone that tends to rationalize the act without close contact with the person---it's NOT an impersonable act. we need no encouragement from the unenvolved---a friend was suffering of pneumonia after bypass surgery --her son and I were in the room when the nurse told her that if she was too uncomfortable that just giving up was an alternative---the key phrase I will never forget was when she was told "you are the adult in the room it's your decision ---she decided to give up.

Yeah, I guess that is true. Just look at all the time they spent doing non-anti-gun stuff in the 2018 legislature

renames a university
Tracking House Bill 4153 in the Oregon Legislature

Congratulates a university
Tracking House Concurrent Resolution 206 in the Oregon Legislature

Recognizes women who do stuff
Tracking Senate Concurrent Resolution 201 in the Oregon Legislature

Recognizes this person retired
Tracking Senate Concurrent Resolution 205 in the Oregon Legislature
Tracking House Concurrent Resolution 211 in the Oregon Legislature
Tracking House Concurrent Resolution 201 in the Oregon Legislature

April is now "eye donor month"
Tracking House Bill 4019 in the Oregon Legislature

Defines strangulation as "impeding breathing" since apparently this word is not in the dictionary
Tracking Senate Bill 1562 in the Oregon Legislature

Regulating fish food industry
Tracking Senate Bill 1550 in the Oregon Legislature

Defines who can diagnose a concussion, I hope they make it law that I can also diagnose pneumonia
Tracking Senate Bill 1547 in the Oregon Legislature

Cant idle your truck
Tracking Senate Bill 1509 in the Oregon Legislature

How many people in the all so important state fair counsel
Tracking Senate Bill 1501 in the Oregon Legislature

These people died
Tracking Senate Concurrent Resolution 204 in the Oregon Legislature
Tracking House Concurrent Resolution 210 in the Oregon Legislature
Tracking House Concurrent Resolution 209 in the Oregon Legislature
Tracking House Concurrent Resolution 207 in the Oregon Legislature
Tracking House Concurrent Resolution 205 in the Oregon Legislature
Tracking House Concurrent Resolution 204 in the Oregon Legislature
Tracking House Concurrent Resolution 203 in the Oregon Legislature
Tracking House Concurrent Resolution 202 in the Oregon Legislature
Tracking House Concurrent Resolution 213 in the Oregon Legislature

PTSD day!
Tracking Senate Bill 1548 in the Oregon Legislature

Tells DMV what to do with scooters
Tracking Senate Bill 1532 in the Oregon Legislature

The money that police steal will go to their children
Tracking House Bill 4056 in the Oregon Legislature

Cockfighting equipment rules
Tracking House Bill 4050 in the Oregon Legislature

Added "wounded warrior" tags so they dont have to use "disabled" tags
Tracking Senate Bill 1506 in the Oregon Legislature

How the legislature starts on odd number years
Tracking Senate Bill 1542 in the Oregon Legislature

Regulates guest houses on ranches
Tracking House Bill 4031 in the Oregon Legislature

Taxing rental equipment
Tracking House Bill 4139 in the Oregon Legislature

Rename some hemp program
Tracking House Bill 4089 in the Oregon Legislature

Task force on why minorities dont own as many homes as white people
Tracking House Bill 4010 in the Oregon Legislature

Find out how many people are paying too much rent
Tracking House Bill 4006 in the Oregon Legislature
What a bunch of dipbubblegums.

Putting an inexpensive trigger lock or cable lock on guns that are not on the person or under their immediate control would also comply with the law.

I would argue that anyone who has tried to put a key in a lock in the dark, especially under stressful conditions, will realize that they are not quick-access. And if the key itself is readily available, such as sitting right beside the lock, that defeats the entire safe storage objective; if it's not, it's not quick-access.

Gotta say this is a democrat backed concept---can't handle life?? just leave---leave your loved ones in despare. My dad shot himself after problems with my mother, work and maybe my absence ---was in the Army.I never blamed him but I really hate anything or anyone that tends to rationalize the act without close contact with the person---it's NOT an impersonable act. we need no encouragement from the unenvolved---a friend was suffering of pneumonia after bypass surgery --her son and I were in the room when the nurse told her that if she was too uncomfortable that just giving up was an alternative---the key phrase I will never forget was when she was told "you are the adult in the room it's your decision ---she decided to give up.

Not sure why you quoted my post, but my point was that 14/4,100,000 is pretty small odds for a new law to be pushed.

I would argue that anyone who has tried to put a key in a lock in the dark, especially under stressful conditions, will realize that they are not quick-access. And if the key itself is readily available, such as sitting right beside the lock, that defeats the entire safe storage objective; if it's not, it's not quick-access.

The trigger lock would be used when the home defense firearm is not on the person or under their control such as within arm's reach. A loaded shotgun next to the bed while you are in bed or a handgun under your pillow while you are in bed would be under that person's control. A gun in another room without a trigger lock would not. Unlike the Washington DC law this Oregon law would not prevent you from having a loaded gun either on your person or under your control, consistent with Heller's finding of a right to own a firearm for "traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home".

As they say in professional sports "the guys on the other team get paid too". The gun controllers have well-paid lawyers who have studied the Washington DC law and the Heller decision and are paid to write laws that are unlikely to get thrown out in court.

Last Edited:
Missing the point of all these new laws. It's not really about safety, suicides,mentally ill, criminals, or the children. It's all about criminalizing us to a point we can't move without breaking one their common sense "laws". Once they're done, at the state level, they won't need the bad publicity of abolishing th 2A. Alinsky would be proud.

It makes no sense to require firearms owners to lock up their guns when they don't have kids or prohibited persons in their homes.
except how many kids and parents would be dead this year alone because the gun the "kid" used to kill the BG was in another room "Not" under the control of an "owner", at least 15 people would be dead,

So, the guy in Maryland that the cops executed a few weeks ago; Was that a justified shoot because he had a gun secured in his hand when he answered the pounding on his door at zero dark thirty? Or justified because he put it down and it was then a danger because it was "unsecured"?
Can't have it both ways. Oh wait...

Sorry for your loss. My dad tried to commit suicide with pills after problems with my mother made his life unbearable... should we pass laws that make it harder for folks to be effective in their suicides? Men suicide by guns most often, if I decide to turn my back on loved ones and check out I have a right to use a gun. But ya know, Dems all squawking about suicides is just another smokescreen, a hollow justification for their efforts to get more control over the populace.

except how many kids and parents would be dead this year alone because the gun the "kid" used to kill the BG was in another room "Not" under the control of an "owner", at least 15 people would be dead,

Happens all the time that intruders appear and would-be victims run to the other room and prevent their own deaths! You're so right!! ... If my guns were locked with cable locks in another room, I'd never be able to protect myself. The only other choice is to carry in the house or move the firearm around with me... what a pain!!

They are complaining about gun suicide when they passed a assisted suicide law. I guess they need to control everything---actually it proves the anti gun part and the positive suicide part. hypocrits!

They are complaining about gun suicide when they passed a assisted suicide law. I guess they need to control everything---actually it proves the anti gun part and the positive suicide part. hypocrits!
Oregon one of the few states where you can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt on your way to your assisted suicide

Did you see the rest of their 2019 Anti-Gun wish list?

Gun storage bill at bullseye of firearm safety proposals

Handguns in public buildings — Senate Majority Leader Ginny Burdick, D-Portland, proposes narrowing exemptions in the law that allows people to take concealed handguns into public buildings. "A number of public entities would like to have the option to keep anyone with a gun off the grounds," Burdick said. Those include schools, universities and the Port of Portland, she said.

Ghost guns/3D printed guns — Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum wants to regulate "ghost guns" made from kits or through 3D printing. Such guns can be manufactured without a serial number and are untraceable.

Age to buy "assault" rifles — Legislative leaders want to raise the legal age to buy semi-automatic rifles from 18 to 21, but have not yet defined what guns would be covered.

Domestic violence loophole — Legislative leaders want to remove a loophole that allows some domestic violence abusers to keep their guns. "Right now, if you have a domestic violence restraining order, you have the opportunity to request a hearing for it," Burdick said. Abusers "have learned that if they don't request the hearing, they get to keep their guns."

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top