JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After a $20 deposit, the firearm is signed into inventory.
Where it will need a new 4473 to get it back...

Some state gun laws make it difficult for the service to function, Ms. Albrecht said. After Washington state enacted an assault weapons ban, its storage partner in the state had to stop storing weapons for many patrons.

"Even though the new law said that they were grandfathered in and they didn't have to relinquish their firearms, possession of guns couldn't be transferred," Ms. Albrecht said. "Since then, that gun shop has had to turn away people in need of storage."
That organization (Hold My Guns) has 8 participating gun shops nationwide. Well, that makes effectively 7 now.

If a service like this was really important (and effective), exceptions would be carved out, red tape removed, it would be taxpayer funded (no cost to use), etc.

Instead, it is almost exclusively used by people going on trips/vacations.

Wanna stop veteran suicide? Stop making useless wars.

Law changes while the gun is in the FFL's possession; may mean never getting it back. For soon-to-banned guns maybe handing the firing pin or BCG would make more sense. Or putting a cable lock through a revolver and giving the friend the key. Those would be helpful for suicide deterrent reasons without needing a government approval to get it back.

Back in the day, a person could give things to a trusted friend when they felt the need. Now the government says that's illegal.
So... if we get rid of these stupid laws lives may be saved.

I remember when if a friend had a bit too much to drink you could get them to give up their keys and in some circles their weapons' for their safety and the safety of others. Now that could be an illegal transfer in some progressive states. :s0054:

All valid points.

However, for a while now some of us have said it would be nice to have something like this available.

Sure, there are other options (many states allow for transfers to relatives/close family without paperwork), and yes, if the gun doesn't yet have paperwork linkable to you, this will almost assuredly link it to you.

But this is voluntary, not mandatory - i.e., at least better than red flag laws.

So I don't think it is a bad thing, just not the best thing.

Ideally, transfers of firearms wouldn't have any paperwork at all. But we don't live in an ideal world.

Years ago I used a "cleaning service" at a LGS near the Canada border while I was out of the country. They also stored my ammo and holsters. The cost was $10 or $15. A couple days later I picked up my guns and went on my way.

Probably a pretty good business on the border DR

Ideally this would be setup like safety deposit boxes in a bank that are sometimes used for storing guns and other valuables as the renter sees fit.

Storage should not require "transfer". If I store gold etc. in a bank deposit box I am not transferring ownership or possession to any other party.

Ideally this would be setup like safety deposit boxes in a bank that are sometimes used for storing guns and other valuables as the renter sees fit.

Storage should not require "transfer". If I store gold etc. in a bank deposit box I am not transferring ownership or possession to any other party.
There was a storage place in Bellevue, WA that was supposed to be rated for surviving a nuclear war. IIRC it was basically a vault, and had valuable painting, wine, etc. stored in it. You could pretty much store anything that wasn't explosive/inflammable/etc. - but it was expensive.

Pawn shops can and do serve the need for storage. You do have to complete a background check to get your firearms back.

Gunsmiths would have the option of holding a firearm and returning it without having to do a background check.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top