JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have heard the same basic story from 3 different people in the last week or so. They all basically state that it is now illegal to carry (even with a permit) a "cocked and locked firearm without the safety on, or if the gun has no safety, it has to have an unloaded chamber". In all cases they site the "Marysville cop daughter ND shooting" as the impetus of the newly enacted law.

I've read the RCWs (I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV) and can't find anything anywhere that dictates "condition of carry" (only the typical stuff about who can and can't carry, permit regulations, etc.).

Has anybody else heard this rumor? Where and how the heck does this stuff get started? Can we start a better rumor? "One time, at band camp, I saw Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster both carrying chrome-plated sissy pistols with the hammer back..."

I told all parties that this seems to be a rumor and there doesn't seem to be any factual support for this story anywhere. I'd like to keep setting these folks straight and want to make sure I'm not contributing to any inaccurate information.

Any input would be appreciated.

Brian, it would help to know WHERE and from whom you heard this.

Sounds phony, is phony. Like those "phony scandals" that the prez was whining about

Rebutting ‘phony scandals' and other false memes

<broken link removed>

I packed a .45 in Germany. ( Tanker ) Not only was cocked and locked verboten having a loaded magazine in the weapon was frowned upon as well. After that we were busted to carrying pistols but no ammo. After that they took our weapons and gave us sticks. Too many of us shooting one another and selves. Too many guard shack shoot em ups. Too many fast draw contests.

I felt really stupid walking guard within eye shot of an East German armored battalion while carrying my stick.

Nowdays I am mostly a revolver guy but competent with an autoloader. I own a GLOCK but its not in my immediate possession. I would not hesitate carrying it with one in the pipe.

Back in the way back days (I got out of my "Way Back Machine earlier tonight) the cap and ball revolvers kept the one under the hammer empty, it is said, because they would go off if hit on the hammer. Don't know how much truth there is in that....

It is very true. A fall from a horse, any hit could make it go off. Wyatt Earp dropped his gun on a full cylinder in Dodge City and after that always carried 5. Colt SAA' have the same problem, as well as early Ruger SA'. When Ruger released the transfer bar('72?), it allowed folks to carry all 6. That is why when I carry a SA, it is always a New Model Blackhawk.

No, the booger hook can get snagged on the bang switch, so I modified it. :s0112:

Does your health plan cover that sort of plastic surgery? ngbbs43826fdb74246.jpg

Chapter 9.41 RCW: FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS

It doesn't hurt to read them occasionally, and when you've a few extra minutes, follow the links into the surrounding RCW to learn of exceptions and related laws.

It doesn't make any damned sense to have this many laws on the books, and I propose making one more law... Making it a requirement to take 10 lines OUT of the laws for every line that goes IN. When it gets down to a reasonable level, we won't have so many folks confused about what Is and what Isn't legal.

It's not the fault of the average citizen that confusion reigns supreme.

Thanks for all the responses.

For clarity sake, I never said I believed this rumor and also stated that I: 1) Told all individuals involved that this was a rumor and their information was inaccurate, 2) reviewed every RCW related to firearms just to be safe, 3) did a search on the Legislative web site to see if any new laws were proposed/enacted that included this ridiculous requirement.

Of the three people that I heard this from: 2 were located in the Spokane area. One would need a few extra IQ points to qualify to play a banjo on their front porch while the second person is much more intelligent and had an extensive conversation/debate with his boss, who was the person claiming this new law existed. The boss isn't a "gun person" while my friend has carried since a few days after his 21st birthday and vigorously debunked his bosses assertions. The third person I heard it from owns an auto parts store in Snohomish County and had a customer tell him basically the same story. "...there's this new law..." He also rebutted the customer (to the point of pissing him off).

The reality is that we all know this is a rumor but, to the knuckle dragging members of the public that don't know any better, this sounds like "a reasonable law that protects children". Sound familiar?

As the French Model would say, C'est la vie.

Chapter 9.41 RCW: FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS

It doesn't hurt to read them occasionally, and when you've a few extra minutes, follow the links into the surrounding RCW to learn of exceptions and related laws.

It doesn't make any damned sense to have this many laws on the books, and I propose making one more law... Making it a requirement to take 10 lines OUT of the laws for every line that goes IN. When it gets down to a reasonable level, we won't have so many folks confused about what Is and what Isn't legal.

It's not the fault of the average citizen that confusion reigns supreme.

sure it does. the more confused they can get people the easier it is to bust them for getting it wrong.

Iron out that whole 12 gauge thing and I'll buy one.

Figuratively, I would do some pretty crazy things to get my hands on an 18. What do those run now, $75,000? What are there, 25 in the country in private hands? A G18 with 33 round mags would be great to defend my walls from advancing Mongol hordes.

Too bad that a simple little weapon like that, guaranteed by the 2nd, even has to be discussed

There IS a full auto Glock, tho! Model 18...
Yes, but I didn't say that. I said fully automatic semi-auto Glock AR 15 in 12 gauge which is a bunch of conflicting statements. Although I SHOULD have said fully automatic single shot Glock AR15 in 40mm.

I know about the G18.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads