JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have heard the same basic story from 3 different people in the last week or so. They all basically state that it is now illegal to carry (even with a permit) a “cocked and locked firearm without the safety on, or if the gun has no safety, it has to have an unloaded chamber”. In all cases they site the “Marysville cop daughter ND shooting” as the impetus of the newly enacted law.

I’ve read the RCWs (I’m not a lawyer and don’t play one on TV) and can’t find anything anywhere that dictates “condition of carry” (only the typical stuff about who can and can’t carry, permit regulations, etc.).

Has anybody else heard this rumor? Where and how the heck does this stuff get started? Can we start a better rumor? “One time, at band camp, I saw Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster both carrying chrome-plated sissy pistols with the hammer back…”

I told all parties that this seems to be a rumor and there doesn't seem to be any factual support for this story anywhere. I’d like to keep setting these folks straight and want to make sure I’m not contributing to any inaccurate information.

Any input would be appreciated.

Brian

This is so competently false. Before I got my gun a few years ago I made sure I knew all laws related to firearms. Since then I've kept up on any legislation they may try to pass especially recently and I haven't even seen a proposed bill with that crazy idea in it. Not even in the assault weapon ban legislation they tried to introduce that included yearly house search requirements. This is absolutely a rumor and the first I've heard of it and I highly doubt it would pass anywhere other than California, New York or Illinois

Funny how fast Bull ca ca spreads. Probably someone posted something on Facebook which then got passed around and around. Much like the post I saw today from someone FORMERLY on my friends list (they were until their response to my response to their post) which showed a clearly Photoshopped pic of Bill Gates holding a sign that he would pay people $5,000 to anyone who shared the pic. I responded that it was clearly a fake and shouldn't be posted. They responded, "it doesn't hurt." And I responded back, "What it does is propagate stuff which should not be passed around and takes focus off stuff that should." I know, you probably will state that I shouldn't even use FB and that's probably true. But I like being able to interact with people I would normally not stay in contact with otherwise. And a place to share pics with my family.

I have heard the same basic story from 3 different people in the last week or so. They all basically state that it is now illegal to carry (even with a permit) a "cocked and locked firearm without the safety on, or if the gun has no safety, it has to have an unloaded chamber". In all cases they site the "Marysville cop daughter ND shooting" as the impetus of the newly enacted law.

I've read the RCWs (I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV) and can't find anything anywhere that dictates "condition of carry" (only the typical stuff about who can and can't carry, permit regulations, etc.).

Has anybody else heard this rumor? Where and how the heck does this stuff get started? Can we start a better rumor? "One time, at band camp, I saw Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster both carrying chrome-plated sissy pistols with the hammer back..."

I told all parties that this seems to be a rumor and there doesn't seem to be any factual support for this story anywhere. I'd like to keep setting these folks straight and want to make sure I'm not contributing to any inaccurate information.

Brian

If it isn't in an RCW (and this isn't) it isn't "Law".

Well, the one thing this would do is get all the glock guys to stop shooting themselves when they holster their pistol (he said, hiding under the desk to avoid the slings and arrows of outraged glock owners!)

Well, the one thing this would do is get all the glock guys to stop shooting themselves when they holster their pistol (he said, hiding under the desk to avoid the slings and arrows of outraged glock owners!)

Kind of funny.
The last three self inflicted wounds I remember were with glocks.
They need to have the new york trigger put in all of them.

Well, in the Marysville cop's case, it was a revolver, so that would be a weak argument.

I have heard the same basic story from 3 different people in the last week or so. They all basically state that it is now illegal to carry (even with a permit) a “cocked and locked firearm without the safety on, or if the gun has no safety, it has to have an unloaded chamber”. In all cases they site the “Marysville cop daughter ND shooting” as the impetus of the newly enacted law.

I’ve read the RCWs (I’m not a lawyer and don’t play one on TV) and can’t find anything anywhere that dictates “condition of carry” (only the typical stuff about who can and can’t carry, permit regulations, etc.).

Has anybody else heard this rumor? Where and how the heck does this stuff get started? Can we start a better rumor? “One time, at band camp, I saw Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster both carrying chrome-plated sissy pistols with the hammer back…”

I told all parties that this seems to be a rumor and there doesn't seem to be any factual support for this story anywhere. I’d like to keep setting these folks straight and want to make sure I’m not contributing to any inaccurate information.

Brian

Exactly which cylinder in a revolver would this law have you maintain empty? the one under the hammer or the one next to come into battery?

What a silly joke.

Back in the way back days (I got out of my "Way Back Machine earlier tonight) the cap and ball revolvers kept the one under the hammer empty, it is said, because they would go off if hit on the hammer. Don't know how much truth there is in that....

Kind of funny.
The last three self inflicted wounds I remember were with glocks.
They need to have the new york trigger put in all of them.

LOL... I had the booger hook modified on my Glock-30 ;)

No, the booger hook can get snagged on the bang switch, so I modified it. :s0112:
Yes, if you modify it to stay straight, it won't hook on the switch when drawing the gun. If you also modify to keep straight when holstering, it should also not hook the switch (just gotta be aware of anything else that might catch). :D

Back in the way back days (I got out of my "Way Back Machine earlier tonight) the cap and ball revolvers kept the one under the hammer empty, it is said, because they would go off if hit on the hammer. Don't know how much truth there is in that....

Most Cap and Ball revolvers have a hammer notch between the nipples to allow the hammer to sit in a location that is safe. The hammer has to be pulled back for the cylinder to rotate or for the hammer come near a cap.

Just curious why would you EVER carry a COCKED firearm WITHOUT the SAFETY on, in the FIRST PLACE. I know that is like the # 1 rule in gun safety. You might want to take a gun safety coarse if this is a normal practice for yourself! I learned this when I was like 13 yrs old. It makes one wonder? Yes, I do carry with a loaded chamber, but the hammer is not COCKED! Remember the safety is is a macanicial defies that can fail.

a “cocked and locked firearm without the safety on

Just curious why would you EVER carry a COCKED firearm WITHOUT the SAFETY on, in the FIRST PLACE. I know that is like the # 1 rule in gun safety. You might want to take a gun safety coarse if this is a normal practice for yourself! I learned this when I was like 13 yrs old. It makes one wonder? Yes, I do carry with a loaded chamber, but the hammer is not COCKED! Remember the safety is is a macanicial defies that can fail.

a “cocked and locked firearm without the safety on

I know we're talking in context of the "everyday joe-blow" CHL/CPL holder on the street, and most likely you're thinking DA revolvers (in which case I'd agree with you), but my Army unit carried our 1911's "cocked & locked" with the safeties off while crashing through and "snoopin' & poopin' in the Latin American jungles back in the 80's (depending on our situation of course), and we never had an unintentional discharge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top