JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a rant! A whiny complaint.

OK, i like Tri-County Gun Club. But i haven't gotten out there in quite a while. So i go to shoot at the 100 yard range and find that they've taken all the gun racks away!

What's up with that?

I usually take 2-3 guns when i shoot and rack the hot guns to let them cool down. I shoot old milsurp and they get HOT. I can't put the rifle in the case 'cause i afraid it'll melt the foam rubber.

And get this: they put some 45 degree support bars on the back benches every few feet, so you can't put a gun case on those benches. I finally wound up putting the hot rifle an top of the case on the ground.

I don't get this at all. Who on earth would take gun racks out of a gun range?:huh:

I feel you on this topic. I've been a member there for two years and to my surprise at my last visit noticed the support bars on the back benches. It makes me wonder what the intent of installing those are....For support? why not put them underneath. I've been really excited with the recent club upgrades (paved drives, rifle action pits, etc) but these supports don't make sense to me.

Supposedly the lawyers running the place got nervous that when people put their rifle cases across the bench, they are sweeping everyone. It is absurd and ridiculous.

They lawyers running the place is just one of the reasons I left TCGC years ago and am now a member at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. Our range rules are still very strict, but there isn't the level of paranoia there was at TCGC.

I specifically asked for them to be removed. After I hit a bulls eye I like to do the Electric Slide line dance and those were getting in the way.

Supposedly the lawyers running the place got nervous that when people put their rifle cases across the bench, they are sweeping everyone. It is absurd and ridiculous.

Yeah, so now i "sweep" everyone when i put my rifle on the ground under the bench, because there are no gun racks. Ridiculous isn't the word for it...

The bigger they have gotten, the worse they have gotten. I guess it is inevitable, but when you reach a certain size you're going to get the bean counters involved i.e. the recent changes.

And the ROs have always ranged from good to horribly bad, but some seriously have a bug up their arse. It's hilarious seeing a RO giving LEOs training a hard time. I continue to go with a friend whom is a member as a convenience, but I have no desire of ever joining based on what I see. I have joined another range that don't have a RO on duty and overall the experience is more relaxed and better, plus nobody there has ever gotten shot.

You guys hit the nail on the head. People were sweeping, etc. Apparently the policy now is rifles stay cased until brought to the bench, they are uncased at the bench with the muzzle downrange, no rifles uncased unless they are on the bench.

FWIW, I just take up the nearest 3 or so benches, usually when I'm there there's not that many people there. So I just hop from bench to bench.

I thought that was the policy for the past year Bring it to the bench and then uncase - muzzle pointed down stream.
The only issue was with people who brought guns cases with two guns - one pointed each way.

Also given advise to use tape or paint to denote which end is the muzzle end so you do not accidently open it the wrong way. ( for those cases where it is not pbvious)

The requirement does not apply to shotgun range.

I have not been a member long, so I never saw any gun racks. Couldn't figure that out either. So I end up taking up two benches, which I like anyway....prevents someone from setting up behind me with their 300 Win Mag with a muzzle break!

I was told the braces were to prevent people from putting gun cases on the counter, and uncasing them there. Sure, the rules always said to uncase at the bench, but you know how people ignore rules. Even with the braces though, I still see people uncase rifles on the counter and sweep the entire line.

Frankly, I like the rules and the range officers. They are a pain in the butt, sure, but a handful of idiots I've seen there need all the rules and enforcement the place can offer. Can't tell you how many times I've seen people cross the yellow line during a cold range, farting around with their stuff, including their guns. I'd rather live with some pain in the butt rules, then to take a careless shot through the arse by one of these idiots.

If lawyers are running the range, I can see where their first concern is liability, but the only sure way to make sure there is absolutely no chance of negligence is to close the range. Problem, solved. No liability. Sounds like typical lawyer thinking.

I used to go there as a guest of a local police department, along with about 80 other retired cops, for our annual qualification for HR-218 / LEOSA. Tri-County didn't so much like the idea of that many non-dues paying guests on their precious, sacred land one day a year, so they asked us to go elsewhere. At tri-county we paid range fees and signed their little waiver form, but that wasn't good enough.

OK. No problemo! Most of us started using the Clackamas County Sheriff's indoor range.

Outdoor, rain and mud in the springtime, vs. indoor comfort. A no brainer. :s0155:

I feel it's went down hill alot in the last five years. I think it was around 1998 they started needing weekend RO's, then it went to every day ( You get what you pay for ) I'm not sure if they are drunk or have Alzheimer's. I had been a member there for about 18 years and shot IPSC for about 15 years of it. I could only shoot during the week and make it to a few of the Weekend matchs. For about the first 10 or 12 years most everone was equal and some groups could reserve the ranges here and there. Then that changed and members where put on the back burner, the monthly calender would come in the mail and more and more of it was reserved during the week. Then they started changing the rules around & around.

Then the days I could shoot in the pits, I would be greated by the RO about every fifteen min's. ( sir I need to see your ID card ) shoot, shoot, shoot ( sir I need to see your ID card ) shoot, shoot, ( sir I need to see your ID card ) how about I hook it to the back of my hat and you can see it from your Veh.. ( sure ) shoot, shoot, shoot ( sir could you please go cold,,,,,, I need to see your ID card ) this was more then once. I found the days of going down to the pits and getting some shooting in and saying hi to the RO once was over. I was there to shoot not B.S. it just became a waste of my time and fuel going there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top