JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
TARGET SHOOTING SITE CLEANUP EVENT

Larch Mtn in Yacolt Burn State Forest, SW Washington

Sat June 18, 2016, 9 AM to 1 PM (+/- an hour).

Cleanup Site 6-18-16.jpg

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/Ms9ZpCvBGZJ2
GPS: 45°40'38.7"N 122°17'01.4"W

2 miles past Jones Creek Trail Head on the L1610. Watch for direction signs.

Clean up outdoor target shooting sites.
Coffee, Donuts & BBQ lunch provided.
Bring Gloves, Boots, Jeans, Rake, Shovel.
Open to all Public, Family and Children
One day Discover pass provided.

Sponsored by Northwest Firearms, and Washington State DNR.

Supporting vendors; Sportsman's Warehouse, Sporting Systems,
Safe Fire Indoor Shooting Range and Butcher Boys Meats.

Additional ways to help:
We need some help to make this event happen. Please post if you can provide any of these?
  • BBQ equipment
  • Cook & Cooks Assistant
  • Sign-in Attendant
  • Director of Parking
  • Burgers, hot dogs, buns, condiments, & chips (we'll be checking stores for donations)
  • Salad(s)
  • A 1 or 2 burner Propane cook stove (to cook the coffee and tea water)
  • Propane coffee pot and coffee
  • Water (drinking bottles and for coffee & tea)
  • Donuts and cookies
  • Snack bars
Please RSVP by clicking on the 'Details' button above and check the RSVP button.

Last Edited:
Rules for shooting on Washington State Lands. As per Department of Natural Resources.

Web link: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145

These are common rules, to us, reasonable and typical of an outdoor sportsman using good common sense.

WAC 332-52-145

Firearms and target shooting.
(1) What is recreational target shooting? Recreational target shooting is the use of a firearm or bow and arrow on targets and the sighting in of rifles or other firearms on department-managed lands. The department regulates and enforces target shooting on department-managed lands.
(a) The department may restrict target shooting for the reasons set forth in WAC 332-52-100.
(b) Persons shall not target shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person, pet, livestock, wildlife or property.
(c) Persons shall not discharge tracer or incendiary ammunition or projectile devices on department-managed lands. For purposes of this subsection, "incendiary" means causing or designed to cause fires, such as certain substances or bombs. "Tracer ammunition" means a bullet, projectile, or shell that traces its own course in the air with a trail of smoke, chemical incandescence, or fire, so as to facilitate adjustment of the aim.
(2) Does recreational target shooting include hunting? No. This section does not apply to hunting activities, which are subject to the rules and regulations administered by the Washington state department of fish and wildlife.
(3) Where is target shooting permitted?
(a) Persons may target shoot in:
(i) Developed recreation facilities specifically designed for target shooting; or
(ii) Areas with an unobstructed, earthen backstop capable of stopping all projectiles and debris in a safe manner.
Persons shall not target shoot in any other location.
(b) Persons shall not shoot within, from, along, across, or down roads or trails.
(c) Persons shall not shoot on, at, across, along, down, from, or within five hundred feet, of:
(i) Recreational facilities that are not specifically designed for target shooting;
(ii) Residences;
(iii) Businesses;
(iv) Structures;
(v) Other areas as restricted;
(vi) Areas designated or posted as no shooting.
(4) What may be used as a target?
(a) Items that are commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting or similar targets privately manufactured by the person(s) engaging in target shooting that are consistent with this section.
(b) Unauthorized targets include but are not limited to:
(i) Natural features, except earthen berms or banks used as backstops for target shooting;
(ii) Vegetation;
(iii) Structures;
(iv) Gates;
(v) Vehicles;
(vi) Signs;
(vii) Other department improvements;
(viii) Appliances;
(ix) Furniture;
(x) Glass;
(xi) Privately owned or occupied structures;
(xii) Pets, service animals or livestock;
(xiii) Wildlife;
(xiv) Explosive and incendiary items;
(xv) Garbage of any kind.
Persons shall not target shoot at unauthorized targets.
(5) When is target shooting permitted? Unless otherwise posted, persons shall not target shoot one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.
(6) Is possession of a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle permitted on department-managed lands? Persons shall not possess a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle, except as provided by state law.
(7) Who is responsible for disposing of spent items resulting from target shooting? Persons who target shoot shall dispose of spent items and remove all shell casings, targets, ammunition packaging, or target fragments resulting from their activity, with the exception of biodegradable clay targets. Failure to remove any such debris is prohibited.
(8) Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor except a violation of subsection (7) of this section is an infraction under chapter 7.84 RCW.

All this happens at this event! Join us as we "Support Gun Owners of the Pacific Northwest"! We'll do good for our public land and have a 'Blast' while we're at it!
P1080120.JPG

P1080132.JPG

group-sized.jpg

Generic Prizes.jpg

IMG_7002.JPG

P1080193.JPG

This is putting the cart before the horse (I still have to get the day off first), but is anyone willing to carpool to this? My truck is a real heap and I try to never take it that far from a parts store (yeah, it's that bad) just in case. I can throw in for gas, buy the beer, whatever seems fair.

I'm in SE P-land so I can hop in along the 205 or wherever suits.

I visited the meeting location, this last Sunday, and found it to be in fair shape. A cleanup crew from Dept of Ecology had been through and picked up 3-4 medium bags worth of trash. Still a lot there when you get out and walk through. Other spots were about the same. I cleaned up a little more but I'm sure by the 18th it will be bad as ever.

These shooting places are along a highly traveled main road where lots of other recreation goes on. It's important to keep these places in good condition, as it reflects on the gun community.

Sorry, the Bikini girls won't be there for this event. They hopped in the sack with me and I hauled them away. (I mean the bag. Trash bag!)

Burn 5-29-16 1.jpg

Burn 5-29-16 2.jpg

Burn 5-29-16 3.jpg

Burn 5-29-16 4.jpg

Burn 5-29-16 6.jpg

IMG_7106.JPG

Thanks, @Dungannon for breaking the ice and signing up! This has been a very 'non-active thread! I'm surprised. Usually, we have a lot of folks jumping in for the Washington DNR projects. And after the recent DNR meeting about target shooting in Yacolt Burn State Forest, I expected a lot more involvement for this event.

We need a few more volunteers and we have less than 2 weeks. Time to start making some decisions!

(Even if it's just you and I, Dungannon, we'll have ourselves a good ol time!)

Cogs.

We welcome a new Supporting Vendor for this event. Everyone attending this cleanup will have a chance to win one of these Gift Certificates from;
upload_2016-6-10_18-31-42.png

• A free Handgun 100: Introduction to Handguns course from SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range valued at fifty dollars

• A free One hour Simulator Experience for One from SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range valued at fifty-five dollars
Please stop by and express your appreciation for their support of shooting on public land!

4857 NW Lake Road, Suite 210
Camas, WA 98607
(360) 834-7233

Sunday-Thursday: 11AM-8PM
Friday & Saturday: 10AM-9PM

*THE FIRST HOUR OF SHOOTING TIME ON SATURDAY (10-11AM) AND SUNDAY (11AM-12PM) IS RESERVED FOR MEMBERS ONLY.

*MONDAY-FRIDAY HOURS ARE UNRESTRICTED.

Thank you!

Cogs

I had to double check their web site on the simulator and I see that yes, a 1 hour session is worth a $55 dollar bill. It has approximately 20 scenarios. It's called a Virtual Tactical Simulator. I saw it from the outside but haven't spent any time in it. Would love to!

Someone's going to have fun with that!

I might be attending but since my son is home on leave for 2 weeks I have to change plans.
I will need a promise from Bill though, that it will NOT RAIN this time if I do make it. :eek::eek::eek:

You got it, Jim. I promise! :D:D:D

(I wonder if he worries about the rain when he goes fishing. Hmmmm)

At this point, I'm forecasting next Sat, the 18th, to be Mostly Cloudy/Partly Sunny with a High of 74. Some light bags of trash falling into the dumpster in the AM hours. A heavy mist of barbecue smoke about noon time and sounds of thunder may be heard in the Yacolt Burn State Forest area, which should last into the late afternoon.

And that's my perfect forecast.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads