JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK I have managed to use my compass to navigate from my recliner in the front room to my bed in the bedroom start small BABY STEP 'S LOL I'M OUT

A trick for holding a straight line of march through heavy brush is to cut a 12-15' sapling, get your azimuth and take off dragging the pole behind you. The length of pole won't allow you to turn in the thicket!
I have a US Army Land Navagation app on my iPad and iPhone, it's really a complete course.
When my kid and grand kids were growing up I would lay out orienteering courses, leaving a couple of bucks in change hidden at each goal. Always more challenging terrain, end of the course each kid had a heavy sack of quarters and a new skill! :)

Nothing more dangerous than a 2nd Lieutenant with a map and compass.
We had a LT. we called: Lima , Lima , Alpha, Mike, FoxTrot...
'Cause he was always Lost Like A Mother F*cker... :eek::D

Once you learn land navigation skills ... take the time to practice them often.
Skills can erode if not not used...
I wish you were closer snarlingdog... I'd take you out and show you how to read and use a map ,compass and such....
Andy

Frakin' butter bars.... ours got us lost for nearly two weeks in an undisclosed Central American jungle.... but in his defense, GPS wasn't a "thing" back then and there wasn't much for terrain features to refer too.

We had to "go native", make like billy-goats, and forage for food & water..... BLEAAAAACK! :s0170:

Oh no I get that haha. I got a 140 acre demonstration Forest that I hike almost daily so I can get a map of that area and just maybe plot a course of some kind.

That is actually a really good idea. You already know the area by sight, see if you can look at the map and recognize terrain features and whatnot as they are represented on the map. If you can do that, then just think of looking at a map of somewhere you haven't been as the reverse.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top