JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know it may seem stupid that a 30 year old that hunts doesn't know how to use a map and compass to get around in the field. Thats because I have hunted the same area since i was a kid and know it very well. But I would like to know how to and was wondering if there is someone willing to hit a trail somewhere and give me a good run through on how to use them or a class that I can take.

It's not rocket science (well maybe just a little), but basically get a topographic map of the area and use a compass to orient it to the ground, then look for at least two (preferably three) landmarks around you that match the ones on the map and shoot an azimuth (that's 0-360*) to each one with the compass. Subtract 180* from each one (called a back-azimuth) and using a map protractor draw lines using those totals. Where those lines intersect is your position on the map.

Once you establish that, you can navigate to a destination on the map using that azimuth on your compass. There's a couple more steps involved like accounting for magnetic North, true North, grid North (etc) and knowing how many of your strides it takes to walk 100m and keeping track (pace count) so you can find your position in between locations, etc.

;)

After you learn all the above and have your direction set, pick a landmark (big tree etc) and aim for that and then reaquire your direction.

You'd be suprized how far off target you can get if your not diligent, especially on the west side with all the under brush.

REI has classes in map, gps and compass navigation. There's some classes in basic and advanced navigation coming up in the Portland area if you take a look at their schedules.

I know it may seem stupid that a 30 year old that hunts doesn't know how to use a map and compass to get around in the field. Thats because I have hunted the same area since i was a kid and know it very well. But I would like to know how to and was wondering if there is someone willing to hit a trail somewhere and give me a good run through on how to use them or a class that I can take.
Using a map and compass is a lost art only really taught in the military any more most people rely on GPS LOL big mistake I know very little about using a map and compass on land and a little bit about using a compass and stars at sea even if you take some survival classes they depend on GPS like it will always be available mmmmm go figure

I too feel like it's a lost tool. A lot of outdoor stuff is right behind it. GPS is great but batteries die and they guide your hunting with might get eaten by a bear. What do you do then lol. There is so much I want to learn so I guess I better start going out and trying stuff out and figure out how to do them.

I too feel like it's a lost tool. A lot of outdoor stuff is right behind it. GPS is great but batteries die and they guide your hunting with might get eaten by a bear. What do you do then lol. There is so much I want to learn so I guess I better start going out and trying stuff out and figure out how to do them.
Well that's great but I don't recommend you just go out and do it in your own get someone who knows what there doing to teach you lol I'm sure there are guys or girls in this site that have military training and people that are civilian 's they have training in this that could teach you everyone thinks a short walk in the woods is no problem but if you get even a 100 yards off a trail and don't know or didn't pay attention to witch way you were walking that short walk in the woods could be day's in the woods lol

Oh no I get that haha. I got a 140 acre demonstration Forest that I hike almost daily so I can get a map of that area and just maybe plot a course of some kind. I was hoping to find someone with knowledge to maybe give me a real idea. Heck I can even buy lunch afterwards haha.

My uncle was a hunting guide long time ago in Montana and Wyoming Nevada had hunting camp 's that you had to ride a horse to no other way to get there except walking he got called all the time by the search and rescue team's in the areas he hunted and leased land he knew every inch of those mountains all he needed was them to tell him that person last known spot and chances are he could find them it was amazing I went with him twice on fishing trip 's on horse back into Montana back woods lol ride a horse for almost two days to a lake in the woods lol guess what there are no other Fisher men there HEHEH a lake to fish by yourself or you and your group

Find an area you are familiar with, print out a Google Earth screen shot orient that with a good topo map and start your trials and learning there.

I buy those simple compass's whenever i can get them cheap at garage sales, I have probably 20 of them in all kinds of places. My Dad taught me map reading, compass use at a very young age. He had me plotting dead reckoning courses in the back seat of an Aeronca Champ at 12 years old.

We got hung up in a traffic jam at a wreck couple months ago on Hwy 22. No cell reception and people were melting about no maps and spotty GPS reception. I got into one of my travel briefcases, pulled out a topo and Forest Service map, studied them for a few minutes, determined there was no way around it on FS roads, so turned around and headed back to another route.

People were looking at me like I was weird. YouTube is a great place to pickup the skills too.

Oh I almost forgot boy scout 's I think they still teach it there find a boy scout in your neighborhood lol he might be able to help you

Military guys here will think this is nothing but I saw a documentary about Afghanistan troops lol saw this platoon leader sit in a Afghanistan mud house on some make shift bed looking at a map and compass and call in a air strikes on the mountain lol and kill the guy's shooting at him and his guy's lol pretty awesome I wish I could remember the name of that show

Military guys here will think this is nothing but I saw a documentary about Afghanistan troops lol saw this platoon leader sit in a Afghanistan mud house on some make shift bed looking at a map and compass and call in a air strikes on the mountain lol and kill the guy's shooting at him and his guy's lol pretty awesome I wish I could remember the name of that show

I'm pretty sure that show is called, "Slimy Afghan pedophile-caveman spends millions in U.S. Taxpayer money to kill rival Afghan warlord".

o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads