JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Why all the negative vibes toward the store and suggestions that the buyer go to the CC company or BBB etc.? If it's a delay the store is following correct procedure by holding both the funds and the gun.

That's what I am not clear about from the OP. Did NICS do delay or a denial? Two very different things.

She was told that all sales were final. The processed the bgc, and the 1984 cannabis issue, arose. I am sure she only has a fully paid statement from the dealer but not a bill of sale nor transfer of ownership.

Not may girlfriend. Just woman friend.

While she waits for her "BGI" issue to clear up (in reality it's a registration but that's a debate for another thread), her online credit card statement might indicate "charge pending" status. Annoying, but she cannot launch a credit card dispute until the charge is no longer pending, one way or the other.

Then one of three things can happen:
- They resolve it, seller releases her gun and charge goes through.
- They finally deny her, and the credit card "charge pending" (eventually) disappears.
- They finally deny her, the credit card charge goes through and she simply disputes it for goods not received. "All sales are final" would include the merchant handing her the merchandise she purchased.

Last Edited:
If the OSP receives the information they requested from Texas and it doesn't disqualify her from the purchase, OSP will give the go ahead and they will also retain that info for five years and four months.
After that time they will erase her record and the same problem will crop up for her in Oregon.
The best thing for her to do if she plans on buying more firearms in the future is to have her record in Texas expunged if it's possible.
I had the same problem years ago in Utah and did it myself for less then $300.00.
You don't need a lawyer, just contact the right courthouse department in the county seat where she had the issue.
The secrete to getting it done is to return any required paperwork with next day airmail as soon as you can, that way your case is on top of the case load of the judges office who is handling it.
A lawyer can take years to clear your case and cost a lot of money.

I'll say, if this is a "Delay", after a MONTH give her her money back if she wants it. The state background check system has failed this person.

BUT, But, but.......
i-m-from-the-government-i-m-here-to-help.png

This premise of "asking permission" to exercise a RIGHT?

Hummmmm.....What IF? I had to get permission (or was charged a tax/fee) to......
Make a speech in public that is critical of my elected representative?
Protest against an "injustice"?
Publish a book or article that is critical of the Government?
Attend a church (or Place of Worship)?
Have a gathering of other like minded individuals to discuss politics, religion or whatever?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
The OP said it was a non-felony charge from TX, meaning a misdemeanor. If correct, then why have a delay?
Are they saying it was never resolved and she's a fugitive from justice? That requires a bench warrant.

The background checks seem to get picky about what should be a non issue .she might have to go to texas to straighten it out.

The OP said it was a non-felony charge from TX, meaning a misdemeanor. If correct, then why have a delay?
Are they saying it was never resolved and she's a fugitive from justice? That requires a bench warrant.

She paid the fine for the charges and thought it was over and done. The county clerk no longer has records back to 1984. Catch 22.

This is not an unusual occurrence. A "no disposition" does not mean the person is subject to be arrested (obviously they've already been charged, there is no open or bench warrant and they may even have been tried and found not guilty) nor is it a petty action on the part of the background check agency. It's a public record in which the final disposition was not recorded. Yup, big red flag on a background check. And the agency doing the check won't be calling the jurisdiction that filed the record to resolve it.

The individual who has the record issue has the duty to clear up the record. It's pretty much the same in most states. Here in Arizona you have a review and challenge process. You are notified that you cannot purchase a firearm or secure a concealed carry permit by the Dept. of Public Safety. That agency will give you a certain time period to review the records, then challenge the record and file documentation (if you have it) to refute the record.

If the individual does not have official records from the reporting jurisdiction that show the matter did in fact receive final disposition and that disposition did not levy any felony conviction, then they must file with that jurisdiction for a record update showing the actual disposition of the charges. Unfortunately all this moves at a glacial pace.

It just shows you that sometimes you do end up paying taxes despite a clerk of court not doing their job.

BUT, But, but.....isn't a BGC suppose to prevent "bad people" from getting guns?

Rrrright.......please define "bad people".

Aloha, Mark

In Hawaii only the police get to carry. They just released disciplinary information and 6% of the police in Honolulu were referred to the prosecutor for breaking the law. Many others broke the law but only got paid suspensions for a day. So something like 10% of the police here are technically criminals and are the only ones that get to carry guns.

Break the law and lose your gun rights? Well, become a police officer and get them restored!

They need to give her one or the other. The store cannot keep both. Tell them one more time to give back one or the other. If they refuse warn them that it might be time to contact the local AG. Maybe even the local ATF office as I can only imagine that theft by a gun shop might be frowned upon.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads